Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • CyNaKyL
  • CyNaKyL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 8 months ago #1 by CyNaKyL
Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker" was created by CyNaKyL
Since I said I would, here is a quick in box review of the new AT-ST kit from Bandai, followed by an in progress thread.

Box top artwork, a rather striking scene from ROTJ by the looks of it...

Sprue A, the first time I have seen a sprue molded in more than one colour of plastic. We have grey for a few legs parts and hoses, brown for the base and Chewie, and clear red for the laser beams.

Sprue B, we have more leg parts as well as the front and sides of the cockpit section. This part fits over the completed cockpit interior like a shell, so should hide most of the joins.

Sprue C1 and 2, here we have most of the cockpit interior parts, as well as some cockpit exterior bits and lower hull detail parts. Detail on the interior is pretty good but it will be hard to see it through the front viewports or top hatch. Cockpit also seems a little on the small side (compared to my 1/48 jets etc, the pilot figures also seem a tad on the small side) but it will be hard to tell once it's together.

Sprue D1 and 2, yet more leg parts (did I say there are a lot of parts for the legs?) as well as the weapons and pilots. Pilots are a tad on the simple side but as I said earlier, it will be hard to see them once it's assembled so I feel what's there is adequate.

Stickers/decals. The blue sheet are the decals, which appear to be very thin and fine. The green sheet are stickers, the same markings as the decals sheet. Despite being stickers, they are still very thin also.

The instructions (not pictured) are very clear and easy to follow, despite it all being in japanese. I have so far only found one tricky part, one of the leg joint covers shows 2 parts listed but since I can't read japanese I wasn't sure what the difference was. After looking at the parts and where they go it turns out one part prevents the joint from moving while the other allows the leg joint to rotate. I'me sure there will be a few other bits like this but so far there have been no other issues.

The construction and placement of parts is very well thought out, with most seams and joins being hidden or covered by other parts. The sprue attachment points are wonderful, being very small and only needing a quick swipe with a scalpel and a light sand to remove all trace of them. A lot of the attachment points are also located on parts that will be covered by other bits so definitely some forward thinking here on Bandai's part.

Overall it looks to be a fantastic kit and one I would recommend to any Star Wars fan without hesitation.

Since I liked the look of it so much, I stowed the Meng Terminator away and dived straight into this kit. After only 2 hours of work I had the whole lower hull plus one leg fully assembled and I can only say I wish more kit manufacturers were as clever as bandai about their construction process.
No pics of the completed parts as yet but I will try and take some either tonight or tomorrow arvo. The only bit I can foresee holding things up will be the painting of the cockpit interior but as it will be hard to see anything through the viewports or hatch I won't go crazy, just enough to look good.
More updates to follow in the next day or two...

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #2 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
How tall does it stand?

More
4 years 8 months ago #3 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
Bandai have not always been this good. This is good news, and may I say, a good size to collect

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 8 months ago #4 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
Based on the measurements I found online it should be about 180mm tall when finished. I didn't check the manual or anything to see if there were measurements or not. The completed leg I've done is about 100-120mm tall so 180-200mm would be about right I think.

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 8 months ago #5 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
You fully painting it G2? I know you don't need to and some people I have seen just add a wash but I was thinking of maybe treating mine like how the armour guys treat their tanks, and maybe doing a snow camo version.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 8 months ago #6 by CyNaKyL
Yeah will paint it and beat it up a bit. I think having it quite dirty will look good. I did toy with the idea of doing a snow one too, like a whitewash type camo. I know in ESB in the snow they were still just grey but it might look ok with a worn white camo like panzers in russia seemed to get. I'll have a think about it but will probably stick with heavily weathered standard grey.

More
4 years 8 months ago #7 by Moeggo
Replied by Moeggo on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
I started building it last night with my middle son.. So its taking a bit slower than normal..

It goes together very well. Only one or two spots need glue the rest click together

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 8 months ago #8 by CyNaKyL
Yeah it's good aye Dave. I've been clicking the bits together then running some tamiya extra thin along the joins to give it a bit more strength, especially on the bits that articulate. But it does go together very well, I wish all kits fit this well and clipped together as easily!

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 8 months ago #9 by CyNaKyL
So here's where I'm at at the moment. Got the other leg finished and they just push fit into the lower hull. Next task will be painting the interior of the cockpit but not sure when I'll get time for that so might be a little while before I have another update. Anyway, onto the pics.

Chisel is just there on top of the feet to balance it, without the cockpit it won't stand up by itself yet.

Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #10 by Moeggo
Replied by Moeggo on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
Looking good! You are at the same point as me and Cordell.

I will get a couple of pics up tonight
The following user(s) said Thank You: CyNaKyL

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #11 by grover

Moeggo wrote: Looking good! You are at the same point as me and Cordell.

I will get a couple of pics up tonight

B)

Kane

More
4 years 8 months ago #12 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
Nice detail on that, the cables give it just that bit extra.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #13 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
Very cool! I've got my eye on one of these for a heavy weathering job.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
4 years 8 months ago #14 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic Bandai 1/48 AT-ST "Chicken Walker"
A handful of kits down and many more to come it's good to see all the anti Bandai comments fading away under a flood of positive reviews, if only people had actually looked at a Bandai kit from the last 5-10 years they might have not had to eat as much humble pie :-)

Bring on the Snowspeeder, can't wait for that.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #15 by grover

Webby_NZ wrote: Bring on the Snowspeeder, can't wait for that.

2nd that. I might get a couple.

Kane

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary