Since Gary was complaining things were a little quiet, here's something a little different. More of a painting project than a modelling one, this is a Axis Dust tactics Medium Walker, 30mm wargaming scale.
Comes mostly pre-assembled and pre-primed out of the box:
I spent an hour or so tidying up the mold lines, filling a number of gaps with liquid greenstuff & plastic putty a, sanding etc until I was reasonably happy with how everything was looking. but overall the folks at the factory did a pretty good job putting it together.
Then it was time to re-prime it. I wanted to try out the new AK Red Primer and was really happy with how it came out. Just airbrushed it straight out of the bottle, no clumping, clogging etc and really nice coverage. It was a little delicate immediately after being sprayed, but now that its had time to dry ofr the recomended 24 hours its adhering quite nicely.
Then I spent another hour or so stripping down my Badger Renegrade Krome and working out what was wrong with it. When I first got it I didn't really know what I was doing with it and had put it down for a while as I wasn't getting the results I wanted.
But after a bit more practice with my crappy airbrush I was ready to get it going again. It had fully seized up, ended up having to use pliers and quite a bit of force to get the needle out but after giving everything a full clean, and oiling the needle track, plus lengthening the spring as it was too short it seems to be behaving itself again.
Next up I'll be hitting the primer with a satin varnish before moving onto the worn effects fluid & base coats.
Despite airbrush related difficulties- see my other thread, things have progressed nicely on the Ludwig.
During the week I added some pre-shading to the primer layer. Noting too major, just some AK red primer shadow into the most recessed and shadow areas. Then I hit it with a few coats of satin varnish before a layer of worn effects fluid.
Then it was time for the basecoat. I'm using the Afrika Korps paint set so on went the RAL8020, followed by a little bit of modulation by adding some white or grey to do the lighter and darker panels. I didn't do too much as I'll be doing oil highlights & shadows later on.
First chipping stage was up next. As its a gaming piece I've probably gone a little over the top with the chipping but I'm happy with it. Despite the varnish layer I did strip off a bit of the primer but easy enough to touch up.
After that it was another varnish followed by another worn effects layer in preparation for the camo. (This was when my airbrush fail occurred). I went with a soft-edged RAL7027 Graun camouflage pattern, looking to cover around 1/3 of the surface area.
Then it was time to chip that camouflage layer as well. I may sure all the areas where the previous coat was chipped back to primer were cleaned up and added some more chipped and worn areas just in the graun.
Phew, that stage of the chipping is all done and locked in with another satin varnish coat. Next step will be applying the filter before starting on the detail work before adding the pin washes and streaking effects.
Yeah this method, aka the hairspray method, is pretty straighforward. Basically:
Paint layer which you want to show up due to the chipping
Spray with varnish to protect that layer
Apply a few coats of worn effects fluid/chippingmedium/hairspray
Let dry for 5 minutes then spray your top layer of paint, you can brush it but that's a little harder as it will start reacting with the chipping medium underneath
Once the top paint layer is dry go back with a brush and apply water to the surface, then use a stiff brush or pointed tool to create the chipped effect. The water dissolves the chipping medium/hairspray undeneath to create the chips
Finally spray another coats of varnish to lock everything in place
It sounds more complicated than it actually is. I've done it on a number of models using hairspray (Pantent volume building if I recall) before I had an airbrush but the chipping mediums from vallejo or worn effects from AK or Ammo are a lot more consistent, don't smell like the hairspray and the wife won't get angry
So I found time Sunday night to apply the Afrika Korps filter. Its quite yellow ochre, so I thinned it down a round 50/50 to get a more subtle effect. Pretty happy with how it turned out, especially how its softened the contrast between the chipped and non-chipped areas.
I started with the pinwash last night but its taking a while and I got a bit distracted watching the walking dead. Will probably get it finished after the gym this evening and then it will be time for the oil fading. Definitely not a quick gaming piece this one!
Ok I forgot to show the rest of the WIP shots, but here is the completed Panzer Walker:
I still have to add the decals but I'm waiting for the specific NDAK decal sheet to be released in a few months. I've got a few more of these Acis walkers to do and a big pile of Allied ones arriving with my Kickstarter pledge in a few months. Still trying to decide which camouflage style for the Allies as the infantry are primarily US marines but I'm wanting a desert theme to match my Axis.