• grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1 by grover
1:350 Hobby Boss 688(VLS) Chicago was created by grover
So one of my little modelling goals is to build a bunch of the platforms from Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. The only book that I read every year. With that in mind, a while ago I bought a Hobby Boss 688 3 in 1 kit, with it being able to build a 688, 688(VLS) and 688i

The Chicago features as one of the main platforms, and I was drawn particularly to that storyline after playing the original Jane's 688(i) Hunter Killer. I actually started the build many months ago, but just came back to it.
I had to work on the seam that was created joining the two halves, so while spending time with the family, I decided to hand paint Vallejo on the seam to help me see where I needed to concentrate on.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

For a simple kit, I spent a huge amount of time working on the seam.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Finally, I was ready to add some paint. I used Stynylrez to prime. I'm not really using it to create any shading.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

And I saw i needed some more filling and sanding
File Attachment:

I had built the sail much earlier, which included a little bit of PE. It needs some refinement though and I don't know if I will keep all the sensors up.
File Attachment:

I started adding all the other parts. Some of them were tiny and pinged off my tweezers so didn't end up in the build, but I doubt they will be noticed.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

There is the option for a plastic screw or a PE one. I decided to use the plastic one as it required no shaping. I had some Citadel Bronze paint, and decided to use that for the screws instead of the recommended Gunze Gold.
File Attachment:

Finally I had it ready to paint.
File Attachment:

The paint chart called for Hull Red for the majority of the hull, but upon opening it, it just seemed too brown.
File Attachment:

Thanks to some recomendations, I mixed the hull red with flat red XF9. Initially, I tried hull red first and added in the XF9, but ended up using mostly Flat Red and just a little bit of Hull Red. This darkened the shade considerably.
File Attachment:

Being summer, and bit humid, my first coat was done at a low air pressure, but the finish still came out grainy coarse, as well as very blotchy.
File Attachment:

I decided to paint it again, and changed from a .2 needle to a .4 and got much better coverage
File Attachment:

And also sprayed a neat coat of Self Leveling Thinner over it to hopefully give a nice smooth finish. Will see tonight how well that worked.
File Attachment:

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #2 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic 1:350 Hobby Boss 688(VLS) Chicago
Nice work so far Kane! Its odd..When I built the typhoon I thought.."its a black cylinder...How hard can it be?" There is a lot of work in a modern sub!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary