Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • gepete
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #1 by gepete
Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch was created by gepete

Just started this on Saturday at a mate's place where a few of us got together to do some kitbashing. Plan is to make a seabase, have a pilot being rescued and possibly a walrus buzzing around all for good measure.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #2 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Re: Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch
Sounds like a good plan! Will look forward to seeing it develop ;)

Spec Ops Scout.....what we do in the Shadows

On the Work Bench:
1/72 FM Millenium Falcon
1/24 Studio Scale X-Wing

• gepete
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #3 by gepete
Replied by gepete on topic Re: Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch

Okay the RAF launch goes together rather painlessly. I painted the interior black, the windows apart from the front windscreen are so small you can't really see anything inside anyway. I didn't bother with the tiny side windows for the rear cabin area as they didn't fit well and will simply use krystal klear for these. There are sink marks at the rear of the hull just before the rear transom that need filling and the join of the rear needs to be made good. The only other fit issues are the rear cabin which is a 3 piece affair that is a bit irritating to assemble. Some shaving and filler is required to make it all look gap free. I glued in the funny cupola thingies for the glazed ball turrets, I have now figured out that they are actually grossly simplified and should actually be open framed metal rail surrounding the turret... first time doing a boat like this so... I'll push on, next time I'll fashion something out of wire instead. I'm actually keen to do another early war version as it has yellow decks that look really eyecatching... I'd already drilled out the holes for the oerlikon and other fittings so I'll do the late war version rather than have to plug all the holes.
Attachments:

• gepete
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by gepete

I have painted the hull satin black. Airfix reckons it should be matt, but I can't see anybody in their right mind painting a boat in a flat or matt finish... you want to go fast in a launch don't you. The hull and topsides aren't glued together yet. They fit really well so I intend to paint them separately so I don't have to mask off. I will add the red lower hull shortly.
Attachments:

• gepete
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago #5 by gepete

I painted the lower hull humbrol 70 as indicated on the instruction sheet. Since it was enamel I decided to hand paint it and wanted to avoid the bother of major masking etc... some little touch ups on the black required but went okay. Note the cheat line does not follow the ridge in the hull. Airfix have indicated this in the instructions and on the box art and there is a very faint line in the plastic to guide you where it goes.
Attachments:

More
8 years 3 months ago #6 by Taylor
Replied by Taylor on topic Re: Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch
Nice build of the RAF Rescue boat. I have some footage of RAF Bucanneers on detachment to Gibralter in the Mediteranian where a Bucanneer has a fire in one of its engines and an RAF rescue boat is deployed just incase they ditch. I am sure it is the same boat. I will see if i can post the footage up on youtube. Might be good reference for you.

• gepete
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago #7 by gepete
Hi Taylor, great to meet you at Model-X. Make sure you and Gary email me soon at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

I would be interested in seeing that u-tube. The launch was circa 1943 so I'm wondering would it have been around in the 1950's & 60's? We're doing sea bases at our next IPMS Auckland club nite so now there is some urgency to get it progressed.

More
8 years 3 months ago #8 by Taylor
Replied by Taylor on topic Re: Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch
Hey Peter. Yeah it was a great weekend.
I checked the video of the RAF rescue boat I was thinking of and just as I though it is a different type but here's the link for you to look at. The boat appears at 2:50 onwards:

The Buccaneer I had at Model X on the Waikato dispaly was from this same unit from this same mission as a tribute to my fathers service with 12 Sqn.

More
7 years 11 months ago #9 by Whiterook
Replied by Whiterook on topic Re: Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch
Very nice build....I'll be watching this one close! Reminds me of an American PT boat I did many, many years ago, and this is making me want to re-try that effort. Keep up the great work.

• gepete
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #10 by gepete

Hi Andrew and Everyone,

Okay I have built the RAF Rescue Launch now, this is the first part of the overall project. It's not an uber-build, I'm more interested in the overall result which I hope to be greater than the sum of it's parts... so true in model making... I have an incomplete Avro Anson and would like to use the tail as wreckage, knock out a Walrus Seaplane and put the lot on a waterbase with some guys floating about on a raft... yeah I know a bit of a cliche ... I haven't done a seabase or diorama in earnest so it's a start. Here's the Rescue Launch so far.
Attachments:

More
7 years 11 months ago #11 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch
Nice work,your launch looks really good :) Going to be good to see it complete with plane and water base :cheer:

• gepete
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #12 by gepete
Hiya

Cheers for the support. It's helps keep each of us going I'm sure. I'm going to be down in Karapiro for Armistice Day and the model show there, suggest if you are in the Waikato to check it out. The Waikato Boys will have something good to check out for sure.

Cheers Peter

More
6 years 6 months ago #13 by hslmouldings
Replied by hslmouldings on topic Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch
Hi and greetings from the UK

I would like to say thats a nice model you have built and painted. I do have a soft spot for the 63ft Whaleback hull as the RAF A/SR or the RN MA/SB or later changed to A/SR duties!!

Herea a thought! How about doing a diaroma with the A/SR Next to a Cookoo float!!!
I have plans for a 72nd scale float and MA/SB if your interested!!

Christopher

More
6 years 6 months ago #14 by hslmouldings
Replied by hslmouldings on topic Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch

Heres a photo of the drawing for the RAF Cuckoo as used in the English Channel and North Sea.
Sorry it just a phot as my pc is bust and gone away to have a new hard drive fitted so is is posted via my tablet

Chris
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary