Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Viperbuilder
  • Viperbuilder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 weeks 1 day ago #1 by Viperbuilder
Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth was created by Viperbuilder
Airfix's 1-48 Tiger Moth has arrived and it has "build me" written all over it. Not too many parts in the box but all very well executed. Decal sheet is superbly printed and colourful.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 weeks 1 day ago #2 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth
Woohoo, so jealous. Looking forward to this steve. :)

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #3 by Woadism
Replied by Woadism on topic Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth
How is the rigging attached Viperbuilder?

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 weeks 1 day ago #4 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth
While the instructions show the positioning of where rigging is to be attached, there are infact no attachment points on the kit. I looked online at how a Tiger Moth is rigged from actual photographs and figured how I will attach the rigging on this kit. You'll see this as I progress the build and I'll post images of actual rigging points for reference. I made sure that I was forearmed with this info before deciding I would build this kit now.

Time to chop this kit out of its sprues,

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woadism

More
4 weeks 5 hours ago #5 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth
Cool, will be watching this one. Think I will get this kit at some stage, definitely interested on how you will do the rigging.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #6 by Viperbuilder
Before you start this kit you will need to consider (if rigging the kit) what type a rigging material you will be using, eg wire, flexible thread etc. The Tiger Moth has control wires (or cables) that run externally along the fuselage side from the rudder to the front cockpit and wires that run from the top and bottom of the elevators into the rear of the fuselage, ahead of the horizontal tailplane. In addition, there is all the wiring in-between the the top and bottom wings to consider as well. However, It is the elevator wires and how you will position them on the model that you need to consider first as these run from outside to inside of the fuselage.

I have seen Tiger Moth models in the past where modellers have either; glued the elevator wire to the side of the fuselage with a drop of superglue or drilled holes in the side of the fuselage and threaded through the wires. Some example of this I’ve seen go in at 90 degrees because of the thick plastic fuselage sides, which doesn’t look so good. I’ve opted to use thin gauge (5 amp) wire for the fuselage wires and I’ve thinned the plastic around the interior entry points, where the wire goes into the fuselage, as thin as possible. A test fit of how this would look appeared OK so the elevator wiring will go on after the kit is painted. Images tell the story.

A test fit of the two fuselage halves showed that they fitted quite well, but for the two lugs inside the top of the fuselage, which needed the tops of the lugs thinned a little so the fuselage top joining surfaces aligned flush. There was a sliver of extra plastic moulded into bottom of the fuselage joining surfaces, directly behind where the wing fits, which also required a little trimming so the bottom of the fuselage mated flush. A test fit of the fuselage floor with fuselage closed also fitted well at this point.

The cockpit interior can be painted and assembled reasonably quickly. RAF grey-green for the interior colour, black instrument panels and silver levers attached to the side of the fuselage. I’ve used Eduard’s early RAF etch seatbelts in this instance. The engine also needs to be painted at this stage because it is moulded as two pieces on each fuselage side. The decals for the instruments are well printed and sit on raised bezels. Eduard make an instrument panel for this kit but I think the kit part and decals are fine and look quite convincing.

I painted the fuselage interior, fitted the etch seatbelts and glued the seats and bulkheads together. When I test-fitted this assembly inside the fuselage halves the fuselage halves would not go together without a gap at the top or bottom of the mating surfaces. I sanded around 0.5mm from the floor sides and the front seat bulkhead sides and this did the trick; the fuselage closed flush now and no filler required. Once the fuselage is together the balance of painting and highlighting can be done on the engine. A few different shades black and some grey and silver dry-brushing does the trick. The kit has provision to display one side of the cowl open to show the engine, but my build will have the cowl sides closed. Nevertheless, I painted the engine on my model just in case I change my mind later.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #7 by Viperbuilder
Here are a few images of Tiger Moth engines that I copied from various websites. It will give you some ideas of how you might detail and paint your kit engine.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #8 by Viperbuilder
And here are a few cockpit images...

In the next instalment I'll look at attaching the wing struts and making rigging attachment points for the wings and fuselage.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #9 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth
Great start and info Steve. Thanks for going in-depth, it's really useful.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #10 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth
Looking really good so far. The rigging sounds a pain.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary