A huge amount of painting the last couple of days as after almost three years we get to the base coats. Hulls and turrets, engine decks and forward access hatches, wheels and hub caps. Even Anneliese’s barrel has had pretend camouflage added so I can write the name on. I’m going for both sides for the name even though I found references for the right side only. The actual tank only has the shots from the right side so a guess on my part. Easier to remove one than to have to add one.
The camouflage on Anneliese will be very makeshift as the whitewash in the shots is very comprehensive.
Tons of cleaning up and touching up and of course the camouflage to do, but I finally feel like we’re getting somewhere
First camouflage on. This was a spray can job as I wanted a quick (possible), pre-whitewash camouflage for Anneliese, so that a hint could show through at various points. This is very shortly after the famous photos while the whitewash was new.
The extra detail this huge scale brings sure makes the model pop. Everything is articulated, no need for painting of fake shadows to recesses and cutaways, it is cutaway! I've seen so many posts as you've worked on this, and the size is familiar, and yet it still came as a surprise to see the enormity when parked up next to the bog roll !! Makes 1/35 scale look petit
Yes they are huge. Now that Anneliese’s wheels are back on you realise just how big it will look.
Two base coats and a sprayed white wash down, one to go. Then the fun begins. Z3 still has blue barrel primer showing through and the rough end of war camouflage on. I can’t wait to weather both these actually. The whitewash is thin enough to see the camouflage underneath. It will dirty up easily while still looking newish as in the famous photos. I must say, the preproduction turret is growing on me
the first straight edged colour for 204. I don’t like straight edge. I use a brush as masking at this scale takes way too much effort. It’s going on better than expected, but will need light sanding etc before all being leveled by a clear coat. Two hours to paint the green.
I now see lots of dots and the whole thing needs a clear coat to tie it together. They all need one actually then I’ll paint in all the details and the markings and then the fun begins. Rear deck screens will be done next after the clear coat. They can’t be attached like the ones on Anneliese are as this would prevent the engine deck sections lifting off.
Not much to report here because I was becoming a little overwhelmed by the thought of detailing and weathering these giants so I just got on with bringing the Pz iv up to where I am with the Panther. But that’s another thread.
I’m slowly moving again on the Tiger family and the wheels are all on. I just need to add the tracks to the Trumpeters so that I can position the rear idlers then I’ll be able to weather everyone. A slow journey will make them better in the end.
The feet are on. Thought I’d better sort these and am glad I did. Not easy to fit, especially the Trumpeter ones. They are thick and do not flex easily, but will stay in position nicely once adjusted. I’ve put them on with basic weathering so that as I now paint all the details, add washes they will collect everything and blend nicely with the upper hull. Gosh the Trumpeter Tiger looks weird with the fenders on. A fun fit of the JagdTiger gun and mantlet to give the idea. They’re starting to look like panzers.