Trumpeter 1:16 Panther and Pz iv j Beob wg build

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #31 by Bishop
The ducts are now done and various engine parts are underway

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Bishop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #32 by Bishop
The jolly ducts are too small. They should be like the Tiger ones. Back to the drawing board with The unused ducting from the Tigers. All is not lost.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #33 by Bishop
So, new air ducts for the radiators. A bit long so the rear lips will be shaved off. More engine components added too.

Engine

Building up the new ducts

Size comparison

With radiator unit

In situ

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #34 by Bishop
Today I’ve made up the shock absorber cover for the radio operator side. I’ve also put more engine components together and begun setting up for the linkages on the inlet manifold. So nice knowing what direction I’m supposed to be going on with all this having made two others already. Trumpeter May have buggered up other things, but this engine is a very nice basic unit. Easy to pimp up.

Photos

Test fit

Cover

Edilbrock!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Bishop.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #35 by Bishop
Engine bits to be cleaned up

Linage mounting points in place

And the best feeling, first paint on. As this is a Jan 45 vehicle this will be the colour all through.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #36 by Bishop
The engine grows more bits and the linkages and springs on the inlet manifold are done.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #37 by Maarten

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #38 by Bishop
Just a few parts added after a long day at work. The exhausts are waiting for some black on them before I close them up. I’ve ordered the Rye Field Panther G in 1:35 so I can get various measurements for the late items. It still has some inaccuracies, but is streets ahead of the much larger Trumpeter. For fun I’ll combine it with one of my DML Panther Fs to make a definitive one for my collection.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #39 by Bishop
The engine progresses with many of the pipes now in place. Sooooooooo much better than the vinyl Tiger pipes. A win for Trumpeter here. Sadly still no extinguisher pipes so I’ll have to make these as per the other two engines.

The Heng Long crew heater is being upgraded so that engine deck panels can be displayed removed

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #40 by Bishop
The engine is now complete and ready to paint. I’ve not added the complete fire extinguisher pipe work as most isn’t seen in the smaller engine bay. The nozzle between the carburettors is there. It goes together well and is ready to paint.

The crew heater is almost ready for screens and pie wedge shaped covers.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 1 year 1 week ago by Bishop.

More
1 year 1 week ago #41 by Bishop
Lots of painting and priming today. Items include the engine, the radiator units and the deck crew heater unit.
I began putting the engine bay plumbing together too.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 week ago #42 by Bishop
The Rye Field Panther arrived today so I’ve been able to start sorting the firewall and various other components for the late G with crew heater. The Rye Field Panther kit is a stunner. It goes to the next level beyond DML. Still with some mistakes, but a beautiful base to work on. I’m going to combine it with my spare DML F to make the ultimate Panther F 1946 build.

Photos

First thing to sort was fitting the crew heater. I discovered that Trumpeter has already marked where the holes will be for the engine deck heater entrance.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 week ago #43 by Bishop
Moving into the bay the ducking takes the hot air to the firewall. The radiator hose needed a first adjustment to allow it to fit beside the new duct. New holes were added to the firewall and lots of ordinary detail removed. Not Trumpeter’s best work. As with the Tigers it has to be remodeled anyway.

Now being filled

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 week ago #44 by Bishop
The final piece of the puzzle as far as the crew heater ducting is concerned is the section that goes from the crew side of the firewall to the hull floor. I had hoped that buying the Rye Field Panther would solve this, but it has the ducting finishing at the crew floor which isn’t far enough down. Two possibilities exist. Either the pipes come up to the crew floor to meet the ducting or the ducting goes all the way to the hull floor to meet the pipes. I am allowing for both possibilities while I await the judgment of much more knowledgeable people on Facebook. On a side note, I planned to combine one of my DML Panther Fs with the Rye Field Panther to make a fully kitted out F. As both kits are very accurate size wise they fit perfectly together so this is a definite goer.

Photos

Rye Field

Fitting

Trimmed for the second option above, but can be shortened for the first. Another section is ready to be added to mate with the twin pipes

Fitting nicely with the engine bay side

The side show blend

The Rye Field Panther is a superb kit. It is now the benchmark until Takom releases their G. Hats off to DML though. It’s still top quality without the hugely complicated interior.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 week ago #45 by gibbs
Wow I am really behind on this build, so I'm going to have to sit and go through the thread properly but from what I've seen so far amazing work as usual

My little corner of the internet
File Attachment:

More
10 months 4 days ago #46 by Bishop
As with the Tiger family build this has gone almost nowhere, but the engine is now ready for painting. The second display engine is moving forward too. A few of the parts haven’t come with this so I’m scratch building these. Nothing dreadful thankfully. This will have all the gear, pipes etc, all over it. I think I’ll have it as an engine to be rebuilt. Lots of weathering fun then.

Display version so far

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
10 months 4 days ago #47 by Bishop
Test post

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
10 months 4 days ago #48 by Gary
Works fine, so did the other test post, did you pay the bills? :P :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
10 months 4 days ago #49 by Bishop
It seems to have sorted now, but the problem I reported in the bugs section still hasn’t appeared as a post in recent topics. Onwards

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #50 by Bishop
I have been plugging away at the display engine doing little bits at a time. One of the sprues didn’t come with the kit so the white plastic is shows scratch built items. I’m up to the inlet manifold, having added all the mounting posts for the linkages BEFORE I’d glued the carburettors in place. Fourth time right. All the pipes for fuel and fire extinguishing and so forth will be added as you will be able to see them.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #51 by Bishop
Manifold finally done on the second engine

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #52 by Gary
Still watching your inspiring work mate, love it.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #53 by Bishop
Many thanks. Very slow at present. Just so busy. I’ve really got to kick on with these four cats.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #54 by Maarten
Top ! as always .

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Maarten.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #55 by Bishop
Finally the piping is starting to appear. I just have to connect the large pipe sticking out the rear and then add all the extinguisher pipes and nozzles.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #56 by Bishop
While I’ve been concentrating on the Tiger family the Panther has been sitting idle. Glad I did that as the Tiger exteriors aren’t going to take as long as the interiors have. So. As the command tank I’ve chosen had an IR box on the rear of thought I’d make an IR unit to go with it. I still have the 1:35 Tamiya one from years ago as a guide along with the photos in Spielberger’s book. The bits done over two nights so far. I just had to build something in the middle of all the weathering. Much prefer the building part I must say.

Yesterday (with the Panther F configuration in the shot 1:35)

Today

My room as you all know is one giant spares box. The glass for the light is actually on the sprues for the early G. The gear now comes as part of the late kit. The back of the lamp is part of a bomb from the original Airfix 1:24 Harrier I had 30 years ago. It was a wreck so good for lots of parts over the years. The bomb was chopped up long ago for tubing, but this end piece I kept in a box just in case. All those decades later it’s a perfect fit to complete the lamp. That’s why I hoard things!!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #57 by Bishop
Basic shape now present

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 5 days ago #58 by Bishop
Thought I’d better add the Pz iv here as it’s easier to post stuff in one spot. I’ve actually started doing a couple of things with the Pz iv as it’s somewhat inaccurate at certain points and the corrections need to be on place so I can start. I’ll update this later today.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 5 days ago #59 by Bishop
So the Pz iv will be a mid production j about August 44 onwards. The large muffler becomes the twin stacks and the turret crew hatches lose the view ports. These were dropped not just to simplify production, but also because they became redundant with the permanent turret schurzen in place. Same reason the turret side view ports were dropped in the G/H progression.
The crew floor has also been sorted with the missing piece created and the other sections of the floor simulated by scribing them into the existing single piece floor. I’m cheating here as most people recreate both the crew floor and turret basket floor with the Aber plate. I’ve got lots of other scratch work to do on this so I’ll cut a few corners alone the way.

Hatches filled but lots more to do I think.

New exhaust stacks. Had the perfect brass rod which perfectly over a short plastic tube insert. The anti bomb fins are attached the the insert.

Inside

Floors

Now I wait for a new engine and other parts from AFV Modeler to replace the dodgy Trumpeter ones. Some things are just too hard to fix on these. The bad engine is a real surprise after the excellent Tiger/ Panther ones.

Now back to the Tigers.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #60 by Bishop
The few days I’ve been doing everything but welding Tigers as it is so boring and frustrating at times. Instead I’ve been sorting a new cupola for the Pz iv j as the StuG one from the kit is pretty poor. I’ve given up on artillery and will make a Befehls panzer instead. The j will be a mid j so the cupola has a hinged hatch as per h. The kit came with many of the components, thank goodness, so it’s just been a matter of making the barrel and armour. These shots show the progress till last night. I’ve gone a little further adding more clarity to the upper ring of armour and reducing the total height by 1mm. Happy now so I’ll paint the interior and prime the exterior and it can then sit and wait for the build. DML provided, yet again, the 1:35 scale double to copy.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary