Weird the random thoughts that occur to you and were you are when it happens, right ? - sitting at the traffic lights in-town this lunchtime and realised that in forty-eight years of building plastic models, I have NEVER completed a German WWII vehicle, not once, been pretty close, but never actually finished one.
So… time to change that, I think. I bought Tamiya’s Marder IIIM (35255) a couple of weeks ago, and have made myself a promise… this time I’m going to finish what I start.
Please stick with me as this could take a while, but this time, this time I’m going ‘all the way’.
Ok, going to break this down in to two or three posts as quite a lot has happened (in sort bursts). After assembly I left the major sub-assemblies and component parts of the fighting compartment off the hull so I could paint and weather them.
Prep'd with 'NATO' black:
Then mixed my own Dunkelgelb (roughly, 60% Tamiya 'Dark Yellow', 25% 'Buff', 15% 'Chromate Yellow'):
Chipping with (again) my own mix of Tamiya's, incidentally the same mix I use for the basic tank tracks colour.
The next thing was two light coats of Johnsons Klear / Future / Pledge which changed the tone a little but was needed to help with the washes. I started with Flory's 'Dark Dirt' which I simply worked into all the corners & recesses were all the cr*p, oil and general filth would be [naturally] pushed.:
Later-on I also carefully added a pin wash just to enhance the shadows around the numerous raised bolts, shelves and especially the breech mechanism of the gun. Unfortunately when I took the photos, I completely forgot to take one of the gun, so you're going to have to use your imagination ! :bangs head
Next I mixed some white, brown & ochre oil paint to make a light buff tone which I dry-brushed into the top third of the shields to lighten the tone and try to simulate where the sun & weather would have 'bleached' those areas. Couple of jobs before attaching the gun, storage, storage bins, shields etc. I placed a few dots of Raw Umber oil paint with a cocktail stick and drag them to simulate rust streaks from the major chips. And lastly a good dusting of the horizontal surfaces with a couple of different Mig pigments to make it properly dusty, dirty workplace.
As this is written, the shields are all in-situ, and I'm ready to mask off the fighting compartment ready for priming, pre-shading and painting the hull. Busy weekend coming-up, and the little stormtroopers are off school for another week yet, so once again any progress will be' 'evenings only' and therefore slow and rare. Ahh well, it's just modelling and not brain-surgery. Thanks as ever for the comments, please feel free to criticise or question. Have a great weekend everyone.
Check if the right hand side of the breech is bare metal, they usually are so, partly so. That way you can be sure you haven’t chipped areas that they would have kept oiled and clean. This looks extremely rude word awesome so far btw. Expert weathering.
Somewhat inevitably and sadly, when pigments are applied, one loses the definition in the camouflage pattern. Not in the first photo (because I forgot), I also used Mig's 'European Earth' as a 'blender' to tie-together the various tones of wash & pigments. And before anybody asks, yes, the slightly different tone on the left-front road wheel is deliberate !!
These will be the last pics before final assembly (hopefully this evening). As ever thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment.
Looks very authentic. Nothing wrong with the camouflage. There really should be a slight sag on the front section of each track run and the blackened muzzle thing you sometimes see is a myth. I’d lighten around the muzzle otherwise jawdroppingly good.