Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Modulation experiment - Panzer IV

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 3 weeks ago #1

• IAN
  • IAN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 374
Mentioned in the M18 thread that I was going to try a new direction - German AFV's. I've watched a few tutorials on YouTube and read some articles, and here is 'my version':

Straight Tamiya flat black as an undercoat.

My own Panzer Grey cocktail - 3 parts matt black, two parts XF63 'German Grey' and two parts X4 blue.

Next I added the [above] basic tone I first added 2 parts XF53 'Neutral Grey' and sprayed all the upper hull & turret a light coat, same on the sides but fading out as I got lower down. Then to that previous mix I added a half-part X14 Light Blue and two parts XF66 Light Grey. this was sprayed only on the upper hull and turret roof, some panels masked, some free-handed.

Finally I hand brushed XF53 Neutral Grey straight from the jar on to the high-points. I know this looks incredibly false just now, but under a couple of filter coats, a wash or two and later weathering it will calm right down... I hope

So PLEASE please give me some feedback, for this one I'll need all the help & advice you can give.

AFN

Ian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 3 weeks ago #2

• Gary
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 793
Looks good, not sure if its the photos but I'm not sure that those high points will fade down that much, they do look awfully bright.
I believe that they call it the Spanish approach where by you focus the light at the front of the subject and work backwards towards the darker areas.
This looks good, it looks like the sun is high above, maybe make the vertical faces slightly darker.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1321
Never sure about this. The weathering depending on the situation can wipe out all the subtleties, but it gives the potential to depict AFVs in bright sunlight or in the shade without artificial light sources. You can paint it like it's sitting under a tree without having to make the whole tree and an artificial sun. The sky is the limit, but it depends on the situation you want to depict.

Looking good so far. I agree withe Gary, perhaps darken the highlights a tad, or at least some of them, then you can test the results and adjust as you go. Looking really good so far.

Why is patience a virtue, why can't hurry the f**k up be a virtue?

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 3 weeks ago #4

• IAN
Good notes gentlemen, the highlights have already calmed down a lot as they've dried, not nearly as 'shouty' as in these photos. Also Sprayed a couple of coats of Johnsons Klear (another first, usually I brush it on), which has really darkened the whole vehicle right down - it's scarey but I'm constantly reminding myself that I'm 'experimenting' with this project, NOT building a show-entry !!

Ian.

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 3 weeks ago #5

• olive drab
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 204
For anyone looking to do Panzer Grey the "blue" in the grey came from the film used by the Germans (Agfachrome ) which tinted colours towards the blue spectrum, a brown tint is more historically correct and certainly lighter than provided by the likes of Tamiya.
Modulation is a style "Spanish" some like it and in a more subdued approach is great to highlight fittings and add interest to some panels especially on a single colour vehicle.

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 3 weeks ago #6

• IAN
A medium grey filter followed by two medium brown filters (or 'dirty varnish' as I call it). Starting to calm-down now. Will leave it alone over the weekend and early next week, I'll apply a dark pin-wash.

Comments and suggestions encouraged.

Ian.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by IAN.

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 2 weeks ago #7

• IAN
Moving-on with the same pin-wash that I used on the Tiger - come to think of it, I also used the same chipping style !!

Sponge chipping and oil filter streaks to come next week, again same as the Tiger.

Ian.
Attachments:

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 2 weeks ago #8

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 804
Looking good Ian.
Colour and chipping are awesome.

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 1 week ago #9

• IAN
Tamiya flat coat straight from the rattle-can. Another first and now ready for the oil-dot filter next week.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.
Attachments:

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV 2 months 1 week ago #10

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1321
I use this rattle all the time for the large areas it has to cover. This looks great.

Why is patience a virtue, why can't hurry the f**k up be a virtue?
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeBishopAndrewMaartenCyNaKyLGary1/35th Battalion