Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Xena's first tanky thing!

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #1

• F1xena
  • F1xena's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 86
Whilst strictly speaking it's actually my first 1/35 armour kit, I'm not sure that Matchbox 1/76 kits from 30 years ago count. Anyway, it got started nearly 2 years ago, but stalled with assembly semi started (as opposed to semi completed!)
So what is it?

I'm a fan of German machinery, and the Jagdpanther is a favourite from back in the Matchbox days. When I decided it was time to try the armour genre, this Dragon kit was a no brainer...especially when I could buy it whilst in Hong Kong at a pretty reasonable price.
Initial assembly was straightforward with the addition of all the hatches, handles and hooks. Joining the 2 hull parts was where I came unstuck as I couldn't decide how to add the vision blocks, periscopes etc, without covering them all up come painting time. When I came back to the kit, I wondered what I was worried about, and just buttoned it up

Something I wasn't prepared for was the amount of plastic left over once assembly was complete! Seems a lot of the sprues are also used for the Panther G kit, and there are all sorts of hatch/transmission/fairing options. I guess armour modellers end up with a big box of spares!. With the Jagdpanther done, it looks like there are enough bits for almost a whole other model. You either get a lot for your money, or pay for a lot of stuff that is no use!

With assembly complete (except for wheels and tracks), it's time for some paint. In recent times, I've been using Gunze Mr Color lacquers, so I looked through my selection to see if I had anything suitable for this kit. I've got a lot of RLM colours, but not the specific armour ones. I looked in my limited stash of acrylic paints and found these.

Good score...I don't remember buying them, but I think they are a Gunze Mr Hobby set specifically for German WW2 armour.
I picked a camouflage option off the instruction sheet, although all looked like they would need a base coat of sand (dark?) yellow. So on it went.

Next up, camo!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #2

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Before the camo, the wheels! And my goodness, what a lot of them!
Following several suggestions, I thought I'd do the tyres (I'm guessing they are still called that?) first...I cheated, using a Gundam paint marker. It was pretty quick and looked fine. The idea was to use a circle stencil to spray the inside of each wheel, but that seems like a lot of work...so I just sprayed the wheels then re-did the tyres with the pen. When dry, they got a splash of Tamiya Brown Panel Line Wash. I was pleased with the way they turned out.

After much umming and ah-ing I decided to mask for the camo using bluetac worms. It took a while to roll out enough for what is actually quite a big area (bear in mind I only build 1/72 aircraft!) and soon it was looking like a stripey iced gingernut!

The green went on first....I thinned it to about the same ratio as the yellow, but it seemed too thin. I also think I've got seal issues with my 0.3 Tamiya HG trigger airbrush.....bugger!

With the green down, it was time for the brown. I used a bit less thinner this time, and sprayed it through my 0.5 airbrush which performed better.

So that's where it stands for now. Next up it is probably time to make a start on the tracks....."Dragon Magic Tracks".....and I thought there were lots of wheel parts? Holy smoke, the tracks look like a mission and a half!
After that, it'll be on to doing some weathering. Another learning curve!

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 116
Very nice work. The camo pattern is cool.

Cheers Michael

Last Edit: by Michaels Models.

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #4

• IAN
  • Thank you received: 374
Excellent work, Tania and so much braver than me... I still run-and-hide at even the thought of individual track links !!

Ian.

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #5

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1321
That camouflage is spot on. With the wheels, the inner road wheels only have a small section of rubber showing. The large flat section below it (the next section in from the road wheels, is actually metal. It is usually rubbed down to bare metal as it rubs on the inside of the track teeth. So you can simply add the bare metal paint to the black you've painted already. All looking great, don't stop at this one.

Why is patience a virtue, why can't hurry the f**k up be a virtue?

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #6

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 375
That's looking fantastic Tania, I've got the newer version of the same tank I think. You are right about getting heaps of extra bits, I think Andrew built enough StuG's that he was able to build a whole nother tank out of the spares from 5-6 kits.
Very nice work though!

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last Edit: by CyNaKyL.

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #7

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the encouragement guys.....I was actually pretty chuffed with the way it turned out. There are one or two bits of overspray, but once I get some filters and washes on it, it should look ok.
And Bish, don't worry, being the "completist" I am, I have a few more armour kits in the stash....can't have a Jagdpanther without a Firefly, and both the initial and King Tigers, and you can't have them without a T34.....and and and!!!:woohoo:

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #8

• Gary
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 793
Welcome to the DARKSIDE, we have cookies.................... I think I must have crossed over myself at some point, must resist!!!

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #9

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Just digging around and came up with this photo from a visit to Bovington a few years back. Maybe I should have done that scheme?
Oh well, too late now!

I think I've got some photos of the one that used to be at the Imperial War Museum in London, although I believe it may have gone now. Had a nasty looking hole in the side you could put your fist through. Wouldn't have liked to have been inside when that happened!
Attachments:

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #10

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 166
Your scheme is much nicer to look at!

Xena's first tanky thing! 4 months 3 weeks ago #11

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 804
Looking blimmin good for your first Tank thingy Tania.
Camo is spot on, looking forward to seeing more.

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 2 weeks ago #12

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, long overdue for an update on this one....don't want to end up with one of those "started but never finished" threads :ohmy: ;)
I've been plugging away at it, but been really busy with work so progress has been slow. I played around with filters, using Tamiya Panel Line Wash, using the brown to dull down the colours a bit. I hope I didn't go overboard with it as it has gotten a bit dark. Also, like a dummy, I forgot to apply the decals before the filters, so needed to spray a bit of a gloss coat on the surfaces where the decals were to go. They are on now and I've given them a coat of the panel wash but they haven't dulled down much. I guess when I give the whole thing a Matt clear it will help......I'm open to hints and suggestions here!

The other thing hat has taken some time is the tracks. The DML Magic Tracks clicked together ok, but tend to fall apart every time I try and drape then over the wheels. I decided to glue a few lengths together for the straight bits, meaning I only have to keep a few links "mobile" to go around the sprockets and join my glued lengths. I also painted the tracks, but was unsure of exactly what colours to use. In the end I went with a Alclad Steel, which was quite shiny, and not really what I was after. Next was a coat of Mr Color steel, which is quite a bit darker and looked a bit better. Then I set to with the brown and black panel wash, and the result looks ok to my eye. Again, I'd be interested to hear from the experts (I'll put some clearer photos up later)
This morning I joined up the front tracks on the bottom of one side using Tamiya Extra Thin, and for the photo, laid one of my glued links on the top. Things are starting to come together, so that gives me a bit of an incentive to keeps at it!
Attachments:

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 2 weeks ago #13

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Thank you received: 225
Now that is looking darn fine. Good job so far Tania. Yes, perhaps a bit dark with the filter, especially when Matt coats have a tendency to make the overall finish darker still.
Tracks are looking superb. Some additions to them could be making the inner track guide horns (the sticky- up bits :P) somewhat metalic looking, like you have done on the outer tracks as these wear down to bare metal. The same deal for the drive sprocket teeth, remembering the old adage - less is more. Otherwise , WOW - grand effort on your first Big Tanky Thing.

Keep 'em coming

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 2 weeks ago #14

• olive drab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 204
Nice capture of the diagonal strips. Yes I would perhaps look to lighten the inside of each strip add a little sand to the Olive and red brown also can highlight the top features in the same way to make them stand out more. But a clean, tidy build all the same.

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 2 weeks ago #15

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a bit of a play around with some X20 thinner and knocked the wash back quite a bit. Unfortunately I'd clear coated parts of the sides to add the decals, so there was no was of changing that.
I'm off away with work again so will hopefully get some more done as soon as I get home.

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 2 weeks ago #16

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 189
Very nice :cheer:

Rob

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Panel shop Dio
GW Space marine land speeder FINISHED
1/72 Airfix RAF rescue launch (All at sea group build) FINISHED

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 2 weeks ago #17

• Glenn
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 501
Nice job,looking really good:cheer:

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 2 weeks ago #18

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yup, looking pretty neat there Tania.
Nice tracks :)

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 1 week ago #19

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More progress....well, just a little bit!
After the feedback above I used Tamiya X20 thinner to remove a lot of the brown wash I had applied....fortunately the base paints are Mr Color so were unaffected by the thinner. I got quite a lot off and I think the camo colours look better now. The photo below is just a quicky outside to give a better idea of the shades. The previous photos on my bench may have made things look darker than they actually were. You can also see where the clear coat is for the decals, and the original darker shade beneath it (sort of....if you look hard enough!)
The other achievement was the completion of the tracks on one side.....blimmin' 'eck, what a nightmare! Whilst they all seem to click together firmly, they don't like staying together when messed around with! And then there is trying to get the last links connected, inevitably involving have a little bit too much length, or not quite enough! In the end, there are a few wonky links, but in the main I think they sit fairly realistically. Hopefully I will have learned some lessons and the other side will go on more smoothly:S
Once the other side is tracked-up, I can get on and do the remaining painting and clear coats. I'm not going to do any mud and stuff on this one, but maybe some panel lines and a bit of wear and tear.
So that's it for now. I want the cement to set up properly on the tracks before starting the other side, so a wee break might be in order!

Attachments:

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 1 week ago #20

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 165

F1xena wrote: Just digging around and came up with this photo from a visit to Bovington a few years back. Maybe I should have done that scheme?
Oh well, too late now!

I think I've got some photos of the one that used to be at the Imperial War Museum in London, although I believe it may have gone now. Had a nasty looking hole in the side you could put your fist through. Wouldn't have liked to have been inside when that happened!

Man i spent an entire day at bovington!! my poor partner, i also spent about 40 quid on the PIAT simulator (did you have a go???) i think kept going to the shop for more change :-)

Ahhhh that and RAF Hendon best days ever!

And you gotta be happy with that finish !!! really great scheme!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Last Edit: by Flying_Kiwi.

Xena's first tanky thing! 2 months 1 week ago #21

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
I dropped in to see Tania today and I got to see this model on the workbench. Unsurprisngly, the model looked nowhere as dark as it does in the photos, and in fact looked like a pukka winter scheme. Tracks looked magic as well! :lol: so that's how they got the name!

Xena's first tanky thing! 1 month 4 weeks ago #22

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Still making slow progress, but I definitely feel like the end is in sight! Today I got a Matt clear coat over the beastie (Mr Color 182 Flat Clear heavily thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner) I'm pleased with the way it looks.
There are some track links to hang on the racks on the rear sides, and I had them all painted before I noticed some ejector pin marks in the middle of them (they hang "inside out"), and I knew they would bug me. A few swipes with a sanding stick took care of the marks but then I had to try and match the paint. Eventually I got the right mixture and along with a few coats of black and brown wash, they look much better. There are little pins to attach them to the racks, and for them to function correctly the tracks also needed a couple of holes drilled in them. This was taken care of with a pin vice, and so now when installed the tracks will be removable (don't know why, but seems like I enjoy the unnecessary work!)
I made the cable on the side out of twisted lead wire as I couldn't get the kit provided wire to drape around the the holder. I've also got some braided copper wire for the tow cables. That presented a problem as it was very shiny copper, so I had to decide how to get a more realistic tone to it. Fortunately I'd bought some AK Brass Photoetch Burnishing Fluid a while back, and when dropped in it, the copper turns black within a few minutes. A few dunks, then some brown wash and it looks great.
For bits of light weathering I've been playing around with a graphite pencil, and been pretty pleased with the results. I had several attempts at simulating rubbed metal on the drive sprockets, but as Dave said, "less is more" and I overdid it. Fortunately it was simple enough to repaint them and then use the pencil to try and redo it with a bit less of a heavy hand.
There are really just rats and mice to do now, and I might get most of it done over the next few days.
Here are a few photos after the clear coat went on this morning.

Last Edit: by F1xena.

Xena's first tanky thing! 1 month 4 weeks ago #23

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1321
Looking really good. With the larger scale I paint the bare metal with a dull silver and then weather withe mud and washes afterwards. It allows me to tone things down. With the smaller scale stuff like this the lead pencil is a good way to go. The inside Road wheels also have a bare metal face where the rim touches the inside of the track teeth. Again the pencil is a good way of simulating this. Such a nice build.

Why is patience a virtue, why can't hurry the f**k up be a virtue?

Xena's first tanky thing! 1 month 4 weeks ago #24

• olive drab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 204
Its refreshing to see a model not covered in OTT scratches that considering the operational life of late war German armour simply didnt happen in the real world. One point the two smaller "exhaust" pipes on the left side of the rear plate were air intake pipes for the engine so would not rust as was the case with the central exhaust pipe and would be in the camo of the vehicle. And yes the central wheels have their rims polished by contact with the inside of the track guide horns in use.
Decals are especially well done.

Xena's first tanky thing! 1 month 3 weeks ago #25

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Plodding along nicely Tania, this is looking great.

Xena's first tanky thing! 1 month 3 weeks ago #26

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
All finished. Final photos here: www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/39-armour-showcase

Thanks guys for your feedback.

T

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeBishopAndrewMaartenCyNaKyLGary1/35th Battalion