I’m an idiot. Broke modelling rule no. 1. I’ve finally read the instructions for the JagdTiger and have discovered that I’ve used the wrong crew hatch mounting panel for the JagdTiger so have wasted some time, both making a Tiger configuration for the JagdTiger and also scratching a cover for the HL. I could have used the spare cover from the HL and would have the three covers finished. Never mind. Now being sorted. I can use most of what I’ve scratched so no dramas. Otherwise lots of red primer on things ready for ivory.
Red oxide all round
Hatches with extended mounting rods fitting nicely for the Tiger only so far.
Front transmission access panel for the JagdTiger is now sorted and up to where the others are. I have adjusted the levers for the three sets of crew hatch openers so they fit into the closed hulls. The JagdTiger one is an interesting problem to solve as you can’t remove it once the gun and mantlet are in place. So the barrel and mantlet will be removable. This was Sam Dwyer’s suggestion when I asked him about it on his amazing build. kudos to him. I’ve done lots of kit making with the JagdTiger so it will actually be ahead of the other two. I need to paint the upper hulls as part of the hull close downs and the JagdTiger hull goes all the way to the roof. Lots of interior work to do before that can happen so not much Tiger work for a bit.
Rear wall and hatches
Mantlet with cleaning up to do
Interior walls in waiting for hours of detail to make.
The proper JagdTiger version of the transmission access cover. Note that the crew heater is moved over beside the radio operator. The front section is lower than the rear/ standard Tiger ii hull and so the crew heater does fit within the radio stack. It had to be moved to the right.
No parts were wasted from the original part.
The mantlet must be removable to lift the cover out. Changing a transmission in one of these required either the lift mechanisms or the main gun to be removed. Super hard in the field.
Sorting spare tracks for the three and with the extras for the JagdTiger, I’m two short for the HL. Not worried though as I will probably take one from the JagdTiger. We shall see. I’ve also been making an engine hatch latch for the late Tiger and JagdTiger.
Holidays done and some real progress on the JagdTiger upper interior. I’m getting all this done as it’s fairly straight forward and will allow me to paint the rest of the interior and close the hull up.
There are still two items to add to the front wall and all the wiring now needs to be done.
Rear wall on
Much of the scratch work is on the commander’s side.
Wiring all done and paint on. I’ve left the MP40 holder off I’ve just noticed. Bother. Easy fix later. The night is cold enough that the red oxide is still drying looking gloss. Next up the interior ivory for the three hulls.
I’m now working on the turret roofs. The JagdTiger roof is easy. The production turret has all the parts required and some of the parts for the preproduction turret can be found among JagdTiger parts, but one sprue I will need to scratch build completely for the second turret. Lots of parts. First two are just about done. The fan is in place and the self defence weapon is half way there. The cupola interior is perhaps the most complicated build of all. Slowly slowly.
Preproduction. This weighs a ton with all the panels in place
Production. It even fits the lower turret thank goodness
Various items installed today. The main thing is the completion of the preproduction cupola interior, well it’s almost done. The inner ring is wonky and the flanges that bolt to the interior roof still need bolts, but it will do. It is all basically invisible in any case, but something needed to be there. The green lens blocks are from AFV Modeler and these have freed up the kit parts for the second turret. I need the roof top plug from the JagdTiger self defence weapon for the preproduction turret so I’ve opened up the JagdTiger weapon so you can see inside. The worst scratch work is now passed so these will all move forward quickly now.
The commander’s hatch lift mechanisms are very ordinary on both Tigers so I’ve added a little detail to each spring cylinder. The left arm plugs into the central tube, which is attached to the hatch cover on the real thing. This is the production one.
The hatch cover swing arm “receptor” has to be scratched for the preproduction turret so this is partly done. Seen here with two of the periscope protectors in place to make sure it all fits.
I’m now in the middle of making a multitude of missing items for each turret, such as a set if binoculars for each Tiger. These are only rough with just a few more things to add and are copied from the rough kit example from the JagdTiger. I’m encasing them in their wall brackets to hide the missing stuff. I’ve also started on the production rear turret hatch. Lots to do on this and things like the rear wall cutouts for the two latches. The preproduction turret will need adjustments too. These are obvious hatches so the work is worth it.
Binoculars to be stowed on the wall forward of the commander.
Notches and the hatch for the rear of the turret.
Turret demolition charges for each Tiger
The working commander’ Hatch lift mechanism.
The hatch will go on later. Moves as it should.