Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: The Tiger ii family build 1:16

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #271

• Bishop
  • Bishop's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1703
Amazing how things work. Having just talked about Gas mask canisters there are two in the JagdTiger kit. So, is there anyone who can give me a quick tutorial in casting in resin? Actually, I wonder if I could make them with P38? I might try that, but back to the first question. There are two in the JagdTiger kit so that leaves 13 to go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #272

• Bishop
Four gas mask containers come with the kit so make that 11.

A few pesky things completed tonight. The three fuel lines are in each hull and the brackets for all the spare lens holders are done minus the trimming. The earth wires have also been added to the junction boxes above the transformer boxes in the Tigers. For the JagdTiger I’ll use a set of transformers as used in the Pz iv. I’ve also started work on the ducting that heads from the back of each transmission to the floor conduits. This provides cooling for the transmissions via the sorocco fan that sits at the front of the engine next to the rear hull wall. The fan is driven by the shaft attached to the chain drive belt you see on the front of the engine, well, you will see later.

Photos

These are the pipes as seen on the HL Tiger. Made from solder they show up way better than the black plastic kit ones

The JagdTiger pipes with the extension added for the longer hull

Lens holders needing to be trimmed. Only 16 to sort
The HL driver’s side examples

The Tiger radio operator’s side ones and the solder earth wire

Next up is the wiring down the radio operator’s side of the Tigers, and the transformers for the JagdTiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #273

• Bishop
I’ve attached two of the wires from the transformer boxes. The ends of the wires will be hidden behind the stowage box that sits between the right hand fuel tank and the turret power unit. I’ve made one of these for each Tiger.

Photos

Storage boxes

Wires

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #274

• Bishop
Time for an update as various boring things get crossed off the list and need to be test fitted. Basically everything has been done in the Tigers as the detail in the JagdTiger is simpler.

The list includes the completion of the spare stowage boxes, the air ducts from the transmissions to the floor ducts, the rings of welds being made with cotton stuck to aquadhere, the long wire conduits from the transmissions to the rear (white plastic lengths at present and the wiring from the transformer boxes. I’ve included a shot of where the three transformers sit in the JagdTiger so you get an idea of what they would look like if they were actually in the transformer boxes. The other items completed are the two stands you see behind the oil reservoir. The driver’s side one holds the power unit for the compass.

Next up lots more details. We are almost ready to paint the hull interiors. Then various things will need to be assembled. It really is a juggling match though because you can’t put things like the firewall in before you have the engine done and you can’t hook up the batteries and have the drive shafts in place either. Basically you have to assemble from front to rear ensuring nothing is glued until you know that the next two or three items following will still fit in if you do. Hasten slowly.

Photos

Firstly the conduit for the wire work from transmission to firewall

Bits test fitted

And thankfully everything works so far

And a shot of why the right hand leg of the oil reservoir has that funny extra bit

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #275

• Bishop
These shots are all of the Trumpeter Tiger as I’ll use the things in their correct spots to measure where they go in the HL hull

Next photos of the air pipes from the transmissions and their new welds. Also some of the goodies from AFV modeller molded from David Parker’s beautiful work. Transformers for the JagdTiger and one of the three power units and compasses, a set for each vehicle.

Pipes

One sitting in the Trumpeter Tiger

JagdTiger transformers roughly in position

And compass gear

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #276

• Bishop
And just because I thought I’d better make sure, yes everything does fit in the HL Tiger too.

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #277

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Rude word that is rude word sensational Bishop WOW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #278

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Hi Bishop where did you get your Ak real colours from and if you got the from BNA how did you get them.

Thanks Henry

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #279

• Bishop
I live in Adelaide so BNA posted them to me. No customs to worry about.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #280

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I've said that Tamiyas deck tan could be used would it need to be lighten down or is fine straight from the bottle.

Thanks Henry

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #281

• Bishop
Needs to be lightened because it’s too brown. The trick is to get a good shot of something ivory and you’ll get the idea. Nice clean teeth. It’s a creamy browny white all at once. Deck tan is like that, but not the right shade of everything.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #282

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Would Testors panzer interior buff work for the cream colour.

Thanks Henry

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #283

• Bishop
To be honest I don't know it so couldn't really give you a reliable answer.

On another note. Nothing much to report as things are progressing slowly. Both Tigers now have the supports completed that the hull crew floor sits on. This is the flooring seen around the turret basket floor. It sits above the fuel tanks. I need to add some pipe work that will eventually run from the oil reservoir to the firewall (you don't see the engine side of it). I also need to add the steel bands around the engine bay fuel tanks (the main ones), and then finally I can lay down the hull red and some ivory. Should be there by the weekend.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #284

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I've got the Vallejo 71.075 sand (ivory ) and AK interactive AK092 RAL Cremeweiss . I used the AK092 when I did my Destroyed panzer 4 Ausf J.

Thanks Henry

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 5 months ago #285

• Bishop
I hate it when you CAN'T EVEN GET TO THE BENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Tomorrow night I hope. Just need to install oil pipes x2 and can paint the hulls red oxide. Oh, and straps for the rear fuel tanks, but that's easy. Time, just need time.....

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #286

• Bishop
Life gets in the way and one gets a bit buried under complicated build steps so I haven’t gone much further on these interiors yet. I’ve got a couple of things to tweak before the red oxide goes on and I’ve run out of black primer, but that’s okay as the jolly floor I was about to install in the Tigers was too large a scale of diamond pattern. The correct size is now coming from the US.

What I’m now going to do is buy some primer, sit in the corner and sulk, add the compass mounts to each vehicle and start on the next stage (which I have to do anyway), the two engines. I won’t be sulking for two long because Trumpeter has done a very nice job on these and they just need bits added. I’ll take some shots later today of where we are.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #287

• Bishop
Primer bought and now some photos.

Two black Tiger interiors and one waiting for primer. This shows most of the bits in place that you now can’t see in the other two. The white bits around the interior fuel tanks are the supports for the floors coming from the US. The white trough behind the driver’s seat is to take the cable from the power supply to the compass. The rest is basically everything described so far in the thread. Though vanished under the black for now it will reappear shortly all red oxide like and nicely shaded.
Then I wait for the floors to arrive.

Unpainted

Painted

Rear fuel tanks

Floor supports

Transformers for the JagdTiger sitting roughly in place

Where they hide in the Tigers (box with three holes in the lid)

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last Edit: by Bishop.

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #288

• Bishop
The conduit for the different sections of wiring that will attach the radios to the junction box have been installed in the Tigers. Once the bulkhead is attached to each vehicle the end of the cable that climbs up the bulkhead and over to the radios can be attached and trimmed to length.

The compass mounts are in the three vehicles so these can all be painted up and the red oxide added. I’ll do the linkages on the engine side of the firewalls before I do the engines so that will be next. For now I need to clean up the multitudinous ejection pin holes on the bulkheads.

Photos

Wiring and the Trumpeter Tiger

The HL Tiger

Note to brass compass holders in the last two shots, driver’s side

Ejection pin holes filled, 10 each bulkhead. Lots of sanding coming up.

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #289

• shaunfletcher
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 277
watching the sheer level of detail on these never gets old..

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #290

• Bishop
Three hull interiors drying in the sun. Put the red oxide even though the two Trumpeters still have items to add. Just little things that can be painted in the touch ups. Happy with these so I can proceed to the engine bay firewall details. Only two lots to do thankfully.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #291

• Bishop
Three hulls drying in the sun. Added the red oxide for fun even though the two Trumpeters have minor details to add. I can pick them up in touch ups. I’m happy with these so I’ll now move to the detailing of the engine bay firewalls. Only two of these to do.

Photos

JagdTiger

Trumpeter Tiger

HL Tiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #292

• Bishop
Most of the details are now added to the engine side of the firewalls. Just a pipe or two and then I can paint everything. The engine hides the rest in both bays. I also need to add the various fuel lines to tanks etc, but that will only happen after I’ve painted the ivory on the firewalls. Next weekend all being well.

All the extraneous ridges have been removed from the forward bulkheads so these can have all the other details added (wiring, spare MG ammo pouch rack etc).

Photos

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #293

• Bishop
The rain has hit so I’m making rather than painting. The connection pipes are on the radiators. The forward bulkheads are progressing. The need a little more detail and the spare ammo bag racks added. I’ve also started on the engines. Trumpeter has hit its strides with these so just details to add. Not so the Pz iv engine which I replaced. I’ve thrown what piece of it together I have so that I can mount the HL drive train to something sitting the other side of the firewall. It will be interesting to compare the size of the engines. The HL 230 isn’t that much larger in size than the HL 120 from the Pz iii/ iv etc, but the closeness of the 230 pots makes it vastly bigger in CIs and power. Brilliant engineering. Even the 210 was a huge jump. The next step was to be fuel injection. Known as the 250????? I think.

Photos

Radiators linked

Bulkheads cleaned up with mounting blocks added

And the engine workshop

The engine bay firewall details have also been painted. I just need to spray the ivory in place and I can start assembling things.
Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #294

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
Damn thats some awesome work Bish...loving watching the buid progress

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #295

• Bishop
Thank you. It's slow at the moment, but I hope to get the ivory on in the next couple of days then things can move a bit further forward.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #296

• Bishop
A quick engine and masking update.
The engines progress, the 120 now waiting for dark grey paint it will just sit in place and do nothing much apart from hold the engine end of the drive train. It means that I don’t have to create some stepped false engine thingy. There will actually be something there, albeit a vastly underpowered Tiger ii.

The masking is the hardest part of the interior. Not hard to map out, but I am a sook when it comes to masking. Everything above the yellow will be ivory on the crew side of the firewalls. The rest stays as it is. The rest of the hull ivory is even easier to do. Now the challenge of airbrushing.

Photos

2x230s

Faux230

And a group photo of the incredibly intricate masking

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #297

• Bishop
Been spraying ivory today thankfully with a lot of success. Two of the three firewalls are complete with the third requiring a little sand and touch up. The masking was okay, but the red oxide I use being acrylic, works beautifully with a brush, blending perfectly with the sprayed paint. Touch ups complete. I’ve given a rough spray to the hull parts as well, but really just for fun and confidence. The proper areas need to be masked up as do those on the forward bulkheads now also being sprayed in readiness. AK nailed the ivory. Very easy to use. I’ll spray the hulls tomorrow after my nerves have settled lol:

Photos

Finished HL and JagdTiger firewalls (except of course, for all the details painting)

Repairs to do, but almost done

Playing with spray

And bulkheads underway

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #298

• Bishop
The ivory is done. The Trumpeter Tiger firewall painting problems are sorted. The three hulls are sorted and now need red oxide touch ups and the bulkheads are up to the same point. Not only am I glad this is done, but I’ve actually enjoyed the process.

I’ve also started working on the heads and exhaust manifolds for the two engines.

Photos

Sorted firewall

Bulkheads

Hulls with a shot of the Trumpeter Tiger hull opposite view

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #299

• Bishop
And more engine progress as reported

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

The Tiger ii family build 1:16 1 year 4 months ago #300

• Bishop
I have no flat red paint and it is a public holiday. Typical. I need to paint the firewall items for each vehicle before I install them all. No red paint no installation. So I’ve started working on the radiators again after some months and will prepare them for installation instead.

The gun cradle still just fits in the JagdTiger, with only one lug breaking off. I think I’ll remove most and just use a couple as guides. This won’t go in until everything under it is completed and it also has the necessary details added. Looks impressive though.

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary