The Tiger ii family build 1:16

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
1 year 7 months ago #241 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Pedals all but done. These will be some of the first items glued in place. The pedals were all replaced with the tread plate being used on the crew floor. Next up the accelerator pedals. Three full sized ones to make.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #242 by Bishop
A bag of pedals now including accelerators, and another with steering brake springs.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 7 months ago #243 by Bishop
Springs for the steering brakes are in and I’m now working on the welds and the notching for the hull walls and sponson floors. There was an awful lot of plastic to remove along the tops of the wall inserts. This all needs to be cleaned up before the welds go down. Ironically I need to add slightly more plastic to the tops of the HL inserts. I have to buy that tomorrow.

Springs

Notching of armour plates

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 7 months ago #244 by Bishop
Interior hull welds done and the firewall engine bay wall units together. These have been test fitted. I can now attach various items, add various other details and then paint the hull interior. Nice to be finally getting somewhere.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 7 months ago #245 by Bishop
Finally had a day off to do stuff. Lots of items are starting to be added to the hull ready for painting. These can be painted with the hull itself. Other items made today are the replacement seat components for the radio operator seat. The kit parts are generic blah and I needed a third set anyway so all have been reconstructed and new seat pads made out of P38 as per the driver seats.

Photos

Kit back rest arm

New ones

Kit seats with pads removed

New pads underway

Cleaned up

And ready to attach

And three new tool boxes for the hull MG under construction to replace the oversized ones

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 7 months ago #246 by Bishop
And shots of the attached items. Note the different configuration of the JagdTiger

JagdTiger first

And the Tigers

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 7 months ago #247 by Bishop
More items starting to appear. The oil reservoirs, note the simplified JagdTiger one. These need lots of details, but are on the way. The transformer box behind the radio operator’s seat wasn’t found in the JagdTiger as the power board above it was removed. This means I can use the spare one in the HL Tiger. These are both now being modified. The space in the JagdTiger was taken up with a second tool box as found behind the driver. I’ve made two so that I have one for the HL Tiger and two for the JagdTiger.

Photos

The oil reservoirs in two stages. More to do on the legs and the feed lines yet.

Transformer boxes for the Tigers being modified. Again, lots to do, holes to be drilled etc

And enough tool boxes for everyone. These are now complete

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 7 months ago #248 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Still watching and still amazed :ohmy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
1 year 7 months ago #249 by Bishop
The transformer boxes are now finished complete with ammo box holders.

The HL crew compartment fuel tanks are also mostly done. I scratched my head over these dreading having to make them and looking for suitable shapes for them. Just being lazy. Very easy to measure up and cut out in the end. I added extra internal plastic so I could round the bottom lengthwise edges. Now they need various details added and will be ready to go.

The oil reservoir stands are also complete, but the units have lots to add yet.

Photos

The transformer boxes

The fuel tanks under construction with the kit ones being used as a guide.

And the oil reservoir stands in two stages

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 7 months ago #250 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Still watching, just so you know!

More
1 year 7 months ago #251 by Bishop
Many thanks. It’s a slow old process. More work on the fuel tanks today, bogging and sanding mostly, and the construction of the third set of batteries. These now need the details found on their ends. The kit batteries have been cleaned up and the holes in the wooden lids opened up. More details tomorrow.

Photos

Fuel tank

Battery construction

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 6 months ago #252 by Bishop
The batteries are now finished and ready to be hooked up later. The next problem before the radios is the forward lubricant tube racks. The left hand set are twice as high as they need to be and the attachment point for the hull wall should face up not down. This means shortening the top section, but as little of it is actually seen except for a section of the rack that can be seen through the floor framework where a torsion bar passes through it, I have been able to cut the left racks in half so that I can create a full set for the HL Tiger. It will all make sense when everything is in place. For now I’m just grateful I didn’t have to try to scratch a set.

Photos

Happy face, the nose actually being a grill.

The lubricant racks cut apart and waiting plastic surgery.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #253 by yak
Replied by yak on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
:ohmy: wow that is amazing work. I'm glad that lego one block was there it gave me a better understanding of the size of the pedals.

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car

More
1 year 6 months ago #254 by Bishop
First bit of plastic surgery, mounting points reversed

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #255 by Bishop
I’m now getting to the point where I can begin to assemble things within the hulls and need to do so before I can add more details such as linkages. I’ve had to write down the order of things to keep myself on track. Some things need to be installed and painted when the hull interiors are painted. The underneath of some things need to be painted before they are installed before the hulls are painted so that the tops of those things don’t keep getting painted over and over, but receive one cost along with everything else when the hull interiors are painted Aaaannnnnd some things just need to be completely painted whether I like it or not with mounting points left exposed so they’ll stick
And now I’m confused... hence the list.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Bishop.

More
1 year 6 months ago #256 by Bishop
Seriously though, here are the first items made now under NATO black primer and red oxide. This is all engine bay gear except for the modified JagdTiger gun cradle. Some items need more paintwork as the transmissions do, but you start to get the idea. The three firewalls need the ivory added and all the details painted, but I’m pleased with how they’ve cleaned up.
I looked at the completely scratched HL firewall and though, that’s worked. I can’t wait to start putting this stuff together.

Photos

Radiator units and ducts

JagdTiger cradle

Firewalls

Snot and string all come together. HL firewall

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 6 months ago #257 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
You are a machine!

More
1 year 6 months ago #258 by Bishop
Oil lines from the reservoirs to the transmissions completed. These are solder so can be bent into shape very easily. The reservoirs can now be painted.

Also the transformer boxes are partially in place with holes cut for the junction box wiring. I just need to add the earth wire to each and they’re done. The bottom half of each box has gone in place (unexpectedly), as everything is glued into the hull was in the wrong spot. Beginners stupidity!!! All fixed and sorted. The bottoms can be painted in place and the tops secured when various other bits of wiring have been attached to the inside of the boxes for the items attached to the transformers. Having the bottom of each box in place is rather good as it will provide and anchor point for the forward lubricant tube racks I’ve scratched. The can go in now too.

Photos

Oil reservoirs

Transformer boxes and relocated junction boxes and spare lens holders.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 6 months ago #259 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Looking fantastic! I've got a fair bit of catching up to do on your build.

More
1 year 6 months ago #260 by Bishop
The radio operator’s “escape hatch” yeah like really... hatches have been assembled and the HL one partially scratched to fit the hole in the hull floor. It needs sanding to shape it properly and then the three can go in. The white L shaped length in the background will provide new locking bars for the hatches. The moulded ones were for and open hatch, as in a removed one. These will be locked in the closed position. No one really knows why these were here as, unlike the Pz iv one in the same spot, there’s a torsion bar in the way.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #261 by Bishop
So I finished the HL escape hatch, went to install it as the other two have been and discovered that the moulded hole in the HL floor is too far back. So I’ve cut out a large area and have replaced it with a section with a precut hole in it in the right place. Now it fits very nicely. I’ll add the hatch locking bars to all three and that’s another thing done.

Photos

New hole insert

Completed

Other holes filled

Some test fitting with the batteries just sitting there backwards.... as you do

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 6 months ago #262 by Bishop
More painting and part painting. Glad I made a list of things and their order.

Fuel tanks

Batteries painted within with lifting straps. I could paint lots more detail, but the lids will be glued on. The holes will allow you see that there’s something in there

More items part painted

Oil reservoirs painted

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #263 by Bishop
In all the scratch building fun I've thrown the instruction steps to the wind. This, of course, has some dangers attached to it as there are actually kit parts that need to be prepared along side extras. So a quick check back has me making up the lower fuel tanks in the engine bay area, and the ilder wheel tensioners found also in the engine bay. This work has led to the wonderful discovery that the JagdTiger kit comes with the forward bulkhead that sits behind the front crew members, and being a JagdTiger, it doesn't need it.... sooooooooooooooo I can use it in the HL Tiger instead of having to scratch yet another item. :woohoo: Good thing too as there's quite a bit of modifying to do with these. Photos to follow.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 6 months ago #264 by Bishop
Things finally starting to glue things in. I need to put things in place so that I can make the various linkages a lines. Quite a bit to do on this, but the kits provide just about all the parts so I’ll only have one set to scratch.

The black undercoat makes it very hard to see some things, but you get the idea. Only the HL Tiger has the fuel tanks in.

Photos

HL first

Tiger

JagdTiger

Idler adjusters now added to the engine bay walls

Lower engine bay fuel tanks. These are hidden under the radiators.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 6 months ago #265 by Bishop
Boring stuff at present, sorry all. Starting to build all the little things and add the small details before I can proceed. A long boring week ahead. Wires and linkages look goo when done, but are fiddly now. So far all the tanks are in and the linkage covers added from where the driver’s seat sits backwards. I’ve also made the covers for the section forward of the seat and will add this to each when the linkages from the accelerator pedals are done. Other things done are the fuel distribution unit and what I’m guessing is a pump to bring it forward from the rear tanks.

Photos

Hulls with more gear added.

Pumps

And distribution units. We saw one of these in the Pz iv
J crew area.

Onwards

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #266 by Bishop
Not much to report, but it’s taken hours to do it. I was not happy with the legs for the driver’s seats so I’ve redone them at the correct height so that the linkage guards fit properly under them. The first parts of the throttle linkage has been installed. Lots of trimming and sanding to do for the next step, but we are making progress.

Seats. The attachment points were not at the right angle on the scratched seat so I’ve got to sort that before the new legs are attached.

Linkages x 3

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: shaunfletcher

More
1 year 6 months ago #267 by Bishop
Seat adjustments now complete and the throttle linkages are done. I’ve also added the fuel tank selectors to the left side fuel tanks as the JagdTiger one needed to be elongated for the longer tank. The photo shows it waiting for trimming. Each will need a handle and markings painted on later.

Doesn’t look like much, it’s nice to have progressed a little. Next I need to add the fuel lines to the rear tanks. This won’t be so much fun, but now is the time to do it. I have two kit sets and will have to make a third.

Linkages

HL

With the seat

Tiger

Fuel selectors

HL

JagdTiger

Tiger (the only remaining standard part)

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 6 months ago #268 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Love those seats. Not only great build skills on show here, but impressive logistics management as well.

More
1 year 6 months ago #269 by yak
Replied by yak on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Those seats are incredible :ohmy: . Have you thought about making molds of the parts you make? you could make multiple parts for yourself and also sell afew.

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #270 by Bishop
Many thanks guys. I wish I did know how to mold parts. I need a ton of gas mask containers. I don’t know how to scratch even one satisfactorily let alone the 15 I need for the three tanks. If I could make one I could mold the others.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary