Only two items left now for each cover and they’re done. Three gear sticks have now been completed and can be attached to the gearboxes. And, the lifting rings have been added to the transmissions so the kit ones can be glued to the gearboxes and the missing brackets can be added to the join between box and transmission. The second seat frame has also been constructed and the spring added to the first frame.
I think I’ll continue down the drive train and scratch the items for the HL Tiger while sorting out the Trumpeter parts.
Preselectors in place
Lifting rings (nice happy faces on the Trumpeter transmissions)
The covers now have their straps so just need bolt heads. The universal joints have now entered their second phase of shaping and the shafts themselves are done. Slowly slowly. Must get rather boring to watch actually.
Yeah I just sit here quietly watching but don't think because I'm not typing oooh aaaaah on every update, it doesn't mean I'm not sat here saying to myself.
Fantastic stuff Tony, love watching it all come together and still amazed after all these years.
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The transmissions are done now bar details painting so tomorrow the covers will go on. The drive shaft components have moved to the next stage, detailing, bar one particular barstool that keeps breaking. All will be well shortly. It is time now to work on the turret power transfer unit that connects power to the turret floor hydraulic unit. This really is an incredible piece of engineering considering it come so soon after the Mk 1 and AV7 of wwi.
Transmission painted to allow the cover to be fixed and a comparison between the kit and scratched unit
Uni joints (note the little barstool one stage behind the others).
I should add that once the covers are fixed the third lever, the oil gauge and various bolt heads will be attached to each unit via the holes you see in the covers. For now, some pictures of three combine harvesters
I’ve gathered all the drive shaft and universal joint parts for the three drive trains and typically there is a spare long shaft for the Tiger which came in the JagdTiger kit. This means that I didn’t need the longer scratched example just the shorter one. More practice. Groans...
One marvels at how long the main JagdTiger shaft is. Must have lots of strain on it.
I have some Qs for in my Takom King Tiger some parts are painted ( most of the shell casing s and the engine ) in a dark grey colour would this colour be Tamiyas german grey or dark grey.The is called RLM 66 Schwartzgrau.
That translates as black grey, panzer grey is a little too blue. Dark grey or even NATO black would happily work though it’s a bit too powerful and thus black in 1:35. The trick is to use a dark grey type colour and add washes to dirty it up. No heavy chipping required on these late vehicles unless damaged/ knocked out as they were very old when the war ended.
Drive train power transfer units under construction. I’m actually going to use the scratched unit in the JagdTiger as it is buried and is only required to join the shafts. I’m also preparing to cut out two new floors from diamond tread plate. The lit one just doesn’t cut it and I need a second floor so I’ll make two.
Further work on the power transfer units and the universal joints. Also the new hull crew floors are cut out. Later in the build they’ll be sanded further and fitted to the hulls and around the turret floors. It is really important that the open circles line up with where the turrets slot in. For now they are sorted.
The kit units are only half complete, lacking the turret floor couplings. The scratch uni joints lack all detail as yet.
David Parker noted that the sections of the tread plates didn’t all run in the same direction. This is copied here.
More work on the power transfer units. The innards for the universal joints are underway. And the three uni joints that plug into the transmissions are also being prepared. Iots of filling and sanding coming up in my immediate future.
Almost done with these. Just a couple of details left for the Tiger units and then everything can be painted. This will all need to be fitted after painting and the will be some adjustments to make when that happens. The beauty of all the pieces is that that can happen easily. It will be easiest of all in the HL Tiger where there is no engine to juggle in the rear. The measurements all match so it should be okay. Lots of test fitting ahead.
I will now return to the other crew details and then prep the hulls for painting. You just have to get the base colours down in these before everything goes in.
Power transfer units first. Just needing one more bracket and two bolts for each then done
You can see the t square brackets drying beside this unit and the rods in white on the unit they attach to on each unit.
The engine end uni joints awaiting their hour
The transmission end uni joints awaiting paint and attachment.
Bit of a busy week, but finally some good bench time. It’s nice to get to the point where you have to look twice to tell what’s kit and what’s scratched. These can now sit and harden while I go back and finish the transmissions. Then it’s on to the other crew area details on my long list. The next major event will be the seats so I’ll go back to these first. After that it’s lots of boxes so maybe the engines will follow the seats.
I’ve cut my finger quite successfully, but a little CA and on we sail. Actually I noticed that blood dries a nice hull red colour. Good to know if I run short.