It’s been a good day off at the bench. The forward part of the transmission now just needs lots of bog and bolt heads otherwise it’s done and fits. I’ve moved the left hand drive brake and the forward transmission mounts slightly and now everything lines up as it should.
The front end is just about finished with the bolts all in place and a lot of the sanding done. So I’ve started on the gear box part. Lots of details to add to this though most will be covered. The outer housing doesn’t cover everything when properly constructed so on goes the extra detail. Trumpeter got basically the right shape, but covered areas that are left exposed to make moulding easier.
A bit further with the gearbox. Basic details are now appearing that will generally be covered so I’m just matching things to make sure the length of the copy is correct. Then the cover will fit and the whole thing will fit into the hull as it should. This has to be correct or nothing behind it in the hull will fit.
Beside one of the kit ones. There is actually a lot to modify with these as well so lots to do.
Having now finished the basic layout of the transmission it’s time to make the steering wheel mount and related add ons. I’ll then make the outer cover for the transmission and bring all three transmissions up to par. I’ll then turn to the secondary throttle pedal. This was attached to the side of the transmission to allow the driver to drive the tank when the seat was raised for open hatch driving. This will make more sense when I make the driver’s seats.
Some nice moments where various things now come together. The basic transmission is done and actually fits as it should. I’ll now make the steering wheel set up and bring all three transmissions up to the same stage. Then I’ll work on the three transmission covers.
One of days when things go stupid, but then finish okay. No less than two scratched pieces fell into worm holes and vanished before my (add extremely rude word here), eyes, requiring me to make new ones. Nowhere to be seen. Anyway, in the end the transmissions are almost done minus the sanding of the bog on the Trumpeter ones. The rear section of the differential needs rounded edges not the sharp ones on the kit pieces. Easy fix. This area of the three transmissions will have cast surface added. They should also have casting numbers really, but these won’t. The steering wheels are adjustable hence the triangular shape to allow for steering while the seat is raised. Next up the covers for each gear box
For some reason I kept one of my Battleships playing boards, which just happens to be made of our favourite plastic so now its corners have been made into the transmission cover. There is a huge amount to do and a large section, as with the Trumpeters, to cut out, but the basic shape is sorted. Rather glad about it too as I had no idea how I’d make something strong enough to keep its shape and thin enough to fit over the gearbox.
Continuing the work on the gearbox covers I’ve removed the details on the Trumpeter covers, rescribed the correct join lines for the top and bottom sections, and adding this detail to the scratch cover and will now cut the driver side section out of each. This was removed to allow air to flow over the gear box to cool it. This the went via the floor ducting away to the engine bay. The large sirocco (I think that’s how you spell it), fan under the engine handled this. I’ve also removed the lip around each gearbox/ differential mounting plate as this was only there to aid gluing everything together. As the area is opened up the lip becomes very obviously incorrect.
Details removed and added
Mounting lip gone
Scratched box sitting in the cover and the extra plastic strips on the base to locate the box, now without lip, at the correct height.
The worst of a number of cuts done. I can now make the gear levers that protrude through this opening. I won’t cut open the holes for the preselectors on the Trumpeter covers as I did for the scratch cover as you don’t get close enough through the hatches to see the extra detail.
More bogging of the gearbox covers and adding of some details. They are all now boxes so that’s a start. The second throttle pedals are all now complete and will be added when the covers are ready to be glued in place. A number of other details need to be added when this happens, the gear lever needs to be done first. I need to make three of these as they don’t come in the kits. I’ve also started the preselector for the HL box.
Not much to show, but it took awhile. New handles for various gear sticks and changers. 9 there set out from Rivendell... three for each transmission. I’ve also sorted the details of the gearbox coupling area. This needs lots of sanding and detailing, but again it’s nicevto have the basic shape sorted. Little wonder it will take years to finish this project. Oh, and the first of the two seat frames has started too. These frames make up most of the mechanism that raises the seat to allow the driver to have his head out of his hatch while driving. The seat rises, the steering while also rises and the secondary throttle pedal give the juice. The steering brake levers have holes in the top for extensions too.
Seat frame no. 1
New gear sticks. Lots of LEGO was hurt in the construction of these.
Transmission covers getting close to finished. All need various bolt heads gear sticks and the preselectors fitted. Then the gearboxes can be painted, the covered fitted and the extras such as oil gauges added after that. The stand you see under each drive shaft mount is the rear floor mount.