Heng Long Pz IV makeover

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
2 years 2 months ago #181 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Heng Long Pz IV makeover
That's very kind. I love it here. Top marks the Gary and all. At the moment I'm being really inspired by David Parker etal, and the "perfect replica work they're doing in 1:16. Just amazing skill. They've proved that really need plans not just my guesstimates. I'm constantly being amazed and in spired by the work here to be honest

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #182 by yak
Replied by yak on topic Heng Long Pz IV makeover
Amazing work Bish, Who needs plans when you can do guess work that good.

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Custom Nissan D21 Navara
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
2 years 2 months ago #183 by Bishop
Fun with fuel lines. You won't see much of this at all as the central hatch doesn't open. I'm almost wondering if I could fix that, but we'll see. Anyway, this beautiful David Parker engine deserves some work and it's great practice for the Tiger ii engine. In place so far are the direct injection fuel lines that prime the engine. This will be attached to the fuel primer on the firewall via the t piece you can see beside the flywheel. I now know what it is. The main fuel line to the filters on the side of the engine is also in place ready to be joined up to the carburettors when they have been detailed and painted. I have a busy week at work now so won't return to this till the weekend. I'll finish the fuel lines, one filter to the other, and add the piping around the engine. The real nightmare is the piping related to the radiator. A bit at a time will see it done. Lots of black dots to drill out. Once we're there I can't wait to paint this. I should add that no swearing was involved in this. Amazing really.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #184 by Bishop
The engine wiring is done so I'm working on the carburettor setup so that I can paint it and plug it into the Pz iv engine bay. The photos from the other post haven't saved to the phone so I'll take some more when the carburettors are done. Almost ready to paint and attach the engine. Then it will be time to move to the crew compartment.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #185 by Bishop
I've managed to copy these photos now so

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #186 by Bishop
And the carburettors basically done with the linkages in place and the fuel supply sorted, but with the excess fuel line needing to be trimmed when the carburettor assembly is glued in place. The filters are also done. Next up the belt assembly. This is another masterpiece from AFV Modeler. Beautifully engineered, complicated, but straight forward until you have to make everything line up with the hull. The Heng Long hull may make it more interesting. I'll paint the engine first.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #187 by Bishop
And the fuel filters. The fuel lines from the fuel distribution unit plug into these. The primer on the rear wall plugs into the lines that go directly to the manifold for priming the pots.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #188 by Bishop
At the beginning of a very long weathering journey. Basic black and basic dull silver on the fuel lines, carburettors and air intake. Soooooooooo much to do on this. Next up the exhaust manifolds need the treatment to rust them up. Then I need to complete the rear of the engine bay. Then I need to make sure that if I glue the fuel tanks et al in I won't need to rip them out again and then I can work on the crew area. I may actually move to the front and return to the central crew area. What a juggling act.

Photos (very boring, but showing progress).

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #189 by Bishop
So today I made up the pullies and belts that go with the engine. These are another masterpiece from David Parker, of AFV Modeler fame. And with some adjustments they will fit fine in the Heng Long hull. As you can see, the exhaust pipes withe cooling wraps has also been added. Everything thing needs to be glued to the rear wall after weathering, but for now it fits. The next thing to do is the exhaust manifolds and the drilling out of the various pipe inlets on the motor. I'll insert brass rods into these to act as mounting points for the multitude of water pipes from the radiator. I'll do hard to reach weathering and some central crew compartment preparation before gluing in everything. I also hook up the fuel primer pump and add the linkages to the forward crew area. I'll weather everything under where the main air pipe runs and then join the air filter to the engine. More after tonight's session at the bench.

Photos

The bay finally ready

Engine with finished belts.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #190 by Bishop
So, the dilemma. To fit the transmission you need to also fit the steering brakes AND you can only do so if you lift the fuel tanks up, WHICH you also need to do to get the engine in. This means that I now need to work on the forward crew section so that I can fit it all in place with the engine going in at the same time. So to revise the steps. 1. The forward crew area. 2. Attaching transmission etc and the engine in place. 3. Finally attaching of the fuel tanks. THEN I can finally go back and finish the engine plumbing. I think I'll need 10 sets of hands.

Progress photos

The engine

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #191 by Bishop
The above shots show before and after the work on the exhaust manifolds btw.

And the dilemma, I can't get that transmission in when everything else is attached. Oh well. Patience.

Firstly the prepared bay.

Then the problem. Sorting the fuel distribution unit ment adding the crew floor. So that's done.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #192 by Admoto
Replied by Admoto on topic Heng Long Pz IV makeover
Just checking in to see if you have cleaned up that bench yet.
That motor looks pretty impressive. It looks like you are using copper wire for the lines. Another possibility would be solder which is so easy to shape with it being so soft. Also comes in several different thicknesses - just throwing another idea in to the pot.
Tanks are not my thing by love all the detail. Great work.

More
2 years 2 months ago #193 by Bishop
Half of it is solder. Yes, much easier to use. Of course I haven't cleaned the bench lol.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #194 by Bishop
First item under construction before bed. The large forward ammunition box. This is half kit parts and some added extras. As with all the ammunition boxes this will be closed. I have no ammunition so it's easier to hide everything. Good night/ morning all

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #195 by Bishop
Today I've worked on and almost finished the transmission. I've also completed the large ammunition box. The two large wiring conduits that strap to the side of the transmission need to be painted, but can't be attached until the wires are stuck in the ends and the transmission is fixed in place.

Believe it or not the next thing I have to do is paint the drive cogs and attach them before I can attach the steering brake drums. So now I go outside so that I can continue inside. Get the steps right is rather important at this stage of the makeover

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #196 by Bishop
You think your getting nowhere then you finally hit a milestone. It all fits. Getting everything all in place at once is a nightmare requiring three hands, but it's possible. I'll now finish painting walls and adding various items and then I'll load it all back in for good. The exterior will be a breeze compared to this. All very good practice for the Tigers.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #197 by Bishop
And more angles

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #198 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Heng Long Pz IV makeover
Man there is some serious scratching going on here.
I can almost hear that engine B)

More
2 years 2 months ago #199 by Bishop
Not much tonight due to work, but I've made up the basic shapes for the three lower crew compartment ammunition boxes. They actually push the warped Heng Long hull into shape so I've re-enforced the double box to take the extra strain.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #200 by Bishop
A bit of time at the bench tonight so I got the jolly latches out of the way on the firewall hatches, the ammunition box hatches and the turret stowage bin. You can't really see these behind the schurzen, they're there. Next I'll do the batteries and the items on the forward walls. The crew floor and all its details is the next major challenge.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #201 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic Heng Long Pz IV makeover
Stunning work Bishop!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
2 years 2 months ago #202 by Bishop
More paint on. The centre section and the ammunition boxes are done. I just need to wait for it to dry and I'll mask up the crew side of the firewall and spray it ivory. One of those tricky masking moments but it should be okay.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #203 by Bishop
Now ready for the next bit. Lots of detail painting to before anything can be installed, but I finally feel like we're getting somewhere.

Photos

I will now start on the forward wall and floor details. Various junction boxes and steering leaver items to add and linkages from the engine bay to construct. I now can't wait to weather it all. Funny to think that I haven't even started the details of the upper hull. Then there is the plumbing in the engine .... and then I have to return to the turret. I should be able to start the Tigers around Christmas time.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #204 by Bishop
Major items for the walls basically done. Radio operator's side Karsten Z18 junction box and stowage box. For the driver's side the fuse box, extinguisher and battery for the compass. This will be wired into the compass I have waiting to install.

Photos

Oh and the batteries are underway too

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #205 by Bishop
Always something more to build. There are no less than four heat shields to build for a he engine and engine bay when I return to the bench. Nice and easy thankfully.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #206 by Bishop
So, four heat shields done and with base coats. They need some heat discolouration added, that's a little way down the track. The batteries need more detail and proper weathering, but they are done and the various wall items have been undercoated and will need to be painted and wired in before attachment, but are up to that point. So, the next thing to do is to get the front wall of the hull sorted with all the linkages and also the steering linkages and then I can start fixing things in place. I should have the lower hull done in a couple of weeks once all this and the engine plumbing are done. Then I have to work on the upper hull. I think I should be done with the turret interior by November, so can start the exterior. Hopefully I should be on to the Tigers by January.

Photos of heat shields. The four include the one over the oil sump, the one over the generator, the one over the right hand exhaust and the one in front of the electricals, both of which protect them from the heat of the exhaust. Interestingly, the later HL engine used in the Tigers and Panther had heat shields over the exhausts as standard removing the necessity for all the extra shields.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #207 by Bishop
Photos of other bits.

I've added the other mounting rail to the transmission itself so that it can slot into place easily when the steering brakes, transmission, fuel tanks and engine all have to be added at once. Groan.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 2 months ago #208 by Bishop
The drums are in place and the linkages across the hull front are also. There is more to add and various linkages to attach them to the pedals etc, but its starting to take shape. I'm going to push on with the steering leavers and their linkages and those coming from the engine then it's time for the wall details. I'll then do the wiring. Finally it will be the seats and the cooling pipes.

Photos

It has been so helpful having a mixture of kit and scratched parts.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago #209 by Bishop
Thankfully the linkages are finished. I can now work on the pedals, including the one that attaches to the linkages across the hull front. The seat fits nicely too. I guessed its scale so I'm glad it works. I've also added wiring to the tubes that sit either side of the transmission. These need painting and can then be attached.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #210 by Bishop
And

I hope this isn't boring everyone it's a very slow process

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Bishop.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary