Well, after ten days away I've spent last night and all today modelling. Lots of fun and lots of things done with the new parts. Thankfully everything fits, but is all about a third finished so some quick shots then sleep.
Firstly, close and nowhere near
The new ones almost done. There are four springs to add to each and I've ordered taps from Aber so these will sit until they arrive.
Next up various things being fitted and tested. I realise that these three builds will all need to run together or I'll finish none of them. There is so much detail that can be added and I don't have anywhere near the skills. However, I should have a few more by the time I do finish them.
Update. Lots of things under construction today. The radiator is under way. I've cheated as it is only one sided as it will be glued in place so won't be seen. The grills are made from a piece netting used to make my daughter's formal dress.
I've also done work the elevation gear and created the turret floor. I'll see if I can't do the arms tomorrow. I've also done more work on the transmission. I've discovered that I made up the early air filter for the engine (up to the D model), and don't have the dimensions for the later box version. If anyone has a1:35 aftermarket one the could give me basic dimensions from then that would be great, but otherwise I'll wait until the AFV Modeler shop gets them in. Off to be cast so hopefully they will be available when I come to finish the engine bay. Learning lots I never knew about final Js.
The last photo shows an interesting discovery which explains why I've not been able fit everything in easily. The lower hull is slightly too narrow so that will fit the upper hull. Lots of adjustments, but everything now works.
Away for work again, but getting important info while I am. I've made up the turret basket floor, but the floor mounts for the arms will need adjustments. Easy fix. I also want to see if I can get better tread plate for the "floor" area, that which sits around the turret floor and for the basket floor itself. I think I can at a local shop so I'll check next week. Can't wait to get back to the bench.
Finally an update. I've attached the rear schurzen to see if everything fits and it does. The hooks for the lower mesh screens, attached to the bottom of the schurzen around the turret bin are also complete. The engine fan drivers are also underway. I had one half of each and am shaping the other halves at present. The transmission is also mostly done. More details need to be added, but it's starting to look the part. The correct tread pattern sheeting from Aber has also been installed and I'm now ready to add the details underneath the turntable. And, the interior of the commander's cupola is also underway. The lining of the basic shell has been supplied by a forward idler left over from the KV1 maker over. The vision blocks etc will be attached to this which simulates the thickness of the armour.
Attaching turntable arms. A slow process, but at least things fit. The arms have wire inserts that position them on the foor while the arms dry. They are attached to the floor of the turret so that I can continue detailing the turntable before it is glued to the arms. Things get complicated when you don't have a kit. The arms for the seats will be threaded onto the two rear arms once everything is nice and solid. The removal turntable means the I can still get at things when I add all the missing turret details. I really shouldn't have glued the from of the turret in place, but needed it to sort the gun. We live and learn.
Making seats and an air filter for a final J. This look very different to the earlier examples and suck the air in from the engine compartment rather than from outside. It's just the basic shape at present with more box work to add and the details too.
Looking fantastic as always Tony, I love what you do with some stretched plastic and old sheets of tat.
I'd love to get hold of one of your large scale interiors and give it a good going over it looks like painting it will be fun, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
More work on the air filter and the population of the turntable. The major addition here is the recoil cylinder made from spare AFV Club SturmTiger rockets (spare ones). The commander's seat now needs mounting bolts and it's done. I will now add bolt heads everywhere and cables galore before the turntable can be attached. I also need to add the two junction boxes to the front arms. I will also add the floor pedal which may be for the turret MG. I have no idea actually. Tigers yes, these I'm learning so much about.