Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #1

• Bishop
  • Bishop's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1581
I have managed to score another nice "in bits" Heng Long 1:16 Tiger I. This time the shop had removed most of the innards for repairs to other tanks so my job has been much easier. I have ordered a nice metal barrel for it as the plastic one is set too far into the mantlet and so is too short. If it had been possible to remove it and add a spacer that would have saved some money, but as the new barrel is only AU$15 it was a no brainer. I have also ordered steel road wheels, which will indeed be metal as you can't buy a plastic set. I have not replaced the drive and idler wheels as I have seen interpretations that use the first style drive sprocket covers so I can use the kit ones. I am keeping the early tracks as well as to upgrade would be another $68 and the wheels were $85 :S Plus the metal tracks would make the whole thing just too heavy. The stowage bin on the tank is an earlier pre standard production bin so I will remove it and go for binless turret look in some of the interpretations. I will, I think, also remove the fenders on the hull including the front fenders.

F05 is a great tank to model as we know it existed, but there are no photos of it. So there are a number of possibilities represented. Turret with or without zimmerit, hull with zimmerit, but much damaged. Turret German grey, hull Dark yellow or German grey with wavy green lines, or brown lines with no zimmerit at all, or whole tank under tri colour scheme and so forth. I really like the look of the of the German grey turret and dark yellow hull with some zimmerit so I think I will go with that.

There is a huge amount to do to remodel everything, especially the turret which is the worst turret Heng Long has made. This turret is a turret barely alive.... we will rebuild it... it will become the worlds first $6000000 turret :silly:

Photos to follow just to start the thread, but then I will let it sit until the StuG is finished or there will be trouble in ranks!! :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #2

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
Looking forward to this one Tony B)

After watching you with these 1/16 beasts, the temptation to get myself a 1/16 is getting stronger and stronger. Only the large price tag is stopping me :pinch: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #3

• Bishop
I've been lucky to pick most of these up for around half price as they've been busted, but they are all now too expensive just to gut perfectly good RC tanks. I've only gutted 3 that were runners. I've been having lots of fun tonight discovering that rather nice pieces of the old Verlinden 1:15 Tiger were actually two small for the scale, making them perfect for 1:16. I have, of course started the Tiger as it is my all time favourite AFV, but I've also pushed on with the StuG, which is just about 2nd on the list. Apart from getting bits from the 1:15 Tiger I've also been cutting a decent hole in the bottom of the turret and top of the hull so that the turret can sit in the right spot. I've cut off the bin and have worked out how to fill the large hole in the rear. I will cover the turret walls with thin plastic, both covering the hole and also the step in the bottom of the rear of the turret. This makes no sense so I need to take photos to illustrate. I shall do that tomorrow my time. I think the turret will have many of the items I built into the Verlinden Tiger interior. The gun breach isn't my best scratch building, but can be given a makeover to make it respectable. I will use it and the other items for old time's sake. I'm really glad that I can use some of the parts from the Verlinden Tiger. It came to a sad end so it can live on vicariously in F05.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #4

• Maarten
  • Thank you received: 639
Attachments:

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #5

• Bishop
So, photos
Firstly the look I'm going for, though there is more to be done on this 1:35 F05 yet.

The front axle I was going to use on the StuG III was clearly meant for another vehicle, and here it is :woohoo:

Holes cut out in the deck (and also the lower turret not pictured)

And the bin removed from the turret

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #6

• Bishop
This time around I have cut the cupola up to realign the vision ports into the correct position. It helps if the commander can see out the front. :whistle:

The solution to filling the gap in the rear I mentioned and to covering the hole left by the bin removal, to cover the whole turret side with plastic.

The gap at the base of the rear of the turret under where the bin was

ED: Oh, I've just realised that I do indeed have a shot of the new hole in the bottom of the turret mentioned in the previous post.
Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last Edit: by Bishop.

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #7

• Bishop
And now a whole lot of shots of the bits and pieces coming from the Verlinden Tiger. The only one that is a bit big (but only because it has extra detail), is the jack. I'm not using the second model cupola as it wasn't on F05, but I could have. With a bit of cutting and shunting I could have turned this into a nice early late example. Next time :evil: The other bits in the next two posts fit very nicely. The driver's vision block thingy and the MG mount are both utter gifts. The replace very poor pieces perfectly. :woohoo:

Photos

This shot from above shows where I'm going to be cutting things away to reveal the basic front plate without fenders.

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #8

• Bishop
And
Ah, the possibilities

My first ever large scale breach from the 1990s I will change the tubing from model kit sprues to something more appropriate, but I'll leave the rest for nostalgia's sake.

I will also use various components from the Verlinden turret interior, again adjusting things along the way. The basket will basically fit straight in as the Verlinden dimensions were too small as far as the hole in the floor goes. This will make this Tiger like the Tiger II, with a turret interior and blackness beneath.

Well, not bad for a vehicle I haven't started work on yet. :whistle: In reality there is a lot of work to do on this one and the cutting and shunting I'm doing at present is just preliminary. The only other thing I will do is shape the front plate minus fenders so that I'm happy with it, and then it's time to wait for the aftermarket goodies to arrive from Tank Army.
Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #9

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • M
  • Thank you received: 373
Great start.
It looks like you have the basic ingredients for another of your masterpieces. :)

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #10

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Cool!
The plastic tracks look pretty good.
Out of interest whats the main issue if you use the metal tracks and wheels in respect of weight, is the suspension a little weak to take the weight?

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #11

• Bishop
The wheels come with new swing arms and one also needs the idlers and drive wheels in metal too. No, the big problem is that any plastic components would break if you started running it around, the suspension on these would carry a real Tiger. For a static model it would be just too heavy to be bothered with. More cutting and shunting going on... oh, and I have done some work on the StuG too so that's okay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grunzter

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #12

• Bishop
I have run out of Dark yellow so cannot continue the painting of the StuG until I get more tomorrow. This has allowed me to spend some time on the Tiger :whistle: and I'm having a ball. So, the fenders are all gone and the front plate has been shaped as per what is under the fenders. The side fenders are also gone and I will now add the mounting points at the appropriate spots along the sides. These are simple squares with a bolt hole in them, but it is surprising how effective they look when added. I've also added the exhausts, setting them too high to start with. They are now in place, but there is a lot of bogging to do. Yes the process did give me the poos when I discovered they needed to be moved down a little. Lots of sanding to do and the jolly exhausts are now in the way. :S The armoured covers will go on happily over the top of them, but they need lifting hooks added to the sides before attached. The turret ring has been created, but has no detail such as I gave the Tiger II turret. There is no way to see the detail and the turning mechanisms are well hidden on these where as they are dead centre in the Tiger II.

Photos

This last shot shows the markings for the new screw holes for the gun travel lock on the inside roof. The present holes are in the centre of the roof as the model incorrectly puts the 88mm in the middle of the turret. It is set to the right and so the mantlet has been adjusted for this and the roof will follow suit.

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #13

• Bishop
And

I'm looking forward to the arrival of the new wheels and barrel so I can swap the wheels out.
Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #14

• Bishop
I've done a number of things to this, but the major victory is the drilling of holes and fitting of the mantlet. It is only sitting in place for now. The new gun needs to be installed and the interior put in place, but it is a nice feeling to get things in the right spot to start with. I'm going to sort out the covering of the turret with plastic sheet next. I need to do this so that I can line everything on the exterior up properly. The floor of the turret will still need to be removable so that I can work on the interior. It is a lot easier to have the roof to add rather than the floor, but I dare not cut it off as there is no rear wall to hold the rest together. Photos to follow.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #15

• Bishop
Just a couple of update shots. The mantlet in place (for the moment), the rear plate with almost all the holes properly filled and nice smooth sides ready for fender mounting points.

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #16

• Maarten
Looking forward to the zimmerit,you cant go wrong in this scale

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #17

• Bishop
I'm going to show the remains of a coat under the new paint. It is suggested that these had a new coat sprayed over fresh zimmerit, but that doesn't make sense for the time frame. A new coat over all zimmerit works for me.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #18

• Maarten
I like the look of this zimmerit ,and we all know you like your red primer ;)
Anyway whatever you do is gonna look great .

Attachments:

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #19

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • M
  • Thank you received: 373

Bishop wrote:

Now that's the workbench of a real modeller :)
The Tiger is looking great too.

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #20

• Bishop
Maarten, I saw that tank, and interesting mixture of put togethers, but not trying to be a Fehrmann though. The idea was that the tanks had had an overspray, so as much as I would love to do something like this, and I still might, I will probably go with the zimmerit as on the tank, or perhaps even less, and the overspray of Dark yellow etc. That is the look I'm going for on the 1:35.

On another note, the wheels have arrived along with the barrel, and they are great. The barrel okay though the detail is ordinary, but it's all a big improvement on the kit one. I wish I'd changed it over on the other Tiger. I have been looking at how the steel wheels fit on and the pin that holds them in place is just ever so slightly too short. This is the pin that anchors the swing arm in place instead of the real life torsion bar. It should protrude past the axle into the side of the hull, but although it just works I'm not satisfied that the swing arms will stay in place with the stress of the springs and the natural loosening that occurs with the bolts etc. Solution, some nice flat head nails the same diameter as the pins that work as axles, cut to the right length and the problem is solved. The wheels themselves are beauties. I wish I was making this a late Tiger, but by going the Hybrid route I'm making it the last lot of Tigers being put together for battle. Photos to follow.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #21

• Bishop
Maarten this is the look that I will probably go for. I love the idea of just a hint of Dark yellow over the German grey turret and the camouflage repaint over the damaged zimmerit. The modeller is someone know to some of us and his work is outstanding. Interestingly he has used the wrong hull, using a later Tiger hull with the front tow shack thingies being cut out rather than the straight ones on the earlier models. These Fehrmann Hybrids actually used upgraded earlier everythings (in my bestest english), hull and turret with only the wheels upgraded. Seeing the remains of the Feifel air cleaner engine deck attachment on the rear deck is perfectly correct, but it was never used on a later hull. This, of course, ruins everything and makes the whole model rubbish :whistle: :evil: :silly: Well, actually it's just a wonderful example what BrokenEagle does. B) He is one of the masters.

armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name...opic_id=75126&page=1

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #22

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 496
This is going to be another stunning build to watch.
I'm hoping to do an early Tiger 1 in 1/35 scale later on this year.

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #23

• Bishop
Excellent, there is something about them. A few more update shots just to show the goodies and the adjustments I've made. Some progress on the turret too. Again bits have been taken from the Verlinden Tiger to replace the toy stuff.

Photos
My shiny wheels.... No, everything goes to the Master.....

And the gun

Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #24

• Bishop
And, the nails that replaced the pins that now secure the wheels to the hull nicely thank you. Oh, and the Turret and the rear plate ready for details and some old zimmerit.
It should be noted that the bottom edge of the plastic cover hasn't been trimmed as yet. This will happen when the interior is completed and the floor is glued in place. The bottom edge will them be glued, the large gap in the underneath filled and the whole thing blended (including the great seam on the side of the turret).

There are an awful lot of welds to add, but I think I will enjoy them this time.
Attachments:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #25

• Maarten
:woohoo:
Those wheels are HOT !!
Adds a bit of weight i reckon.
You should get some RTV rubber and Resin to duplicate them and other bits and pieces for future builds................................ Yeah you will :P

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #26

• Maarten

Bishop wrote: Maarten this is the look that I will probably go for. He is one of the masters.

armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name...opic_id=75126&page=1

He sure is B)
He's my favorite when it comes to Painting and weathering .

Last Edit: by Maarten.

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #27

• Bishop
I wish I could cast them, I don't know how, but to be honest the aftermarket stuff is so cheap it is easy enough just to buy them. If I did one more it would be a late one of these. Yes, the wheels make things a lot heavier. You could never RC this without the metal tracks, drive wheels and idlers. Then you would need the metal hull and then you would need the ......

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #28

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Wow, progress is fast on this one, and agree the metal wheels look cool.

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #29

• Bishop
It is really. :( I didn't really want to get into until after the StuG, but oh well. :evil: Anyway, a small update. The details of the turret sides is almost done, The side escape hatch will stay off until the interior and floor go in. On the roof I need to add the hood and periscope (pictured), as the turret is an early one and the Hybrid's all had the turrets with the roof periscopes and track holders. I will use the track holders from the Verlinden Tiger, but will have to make up the bottom sections the tracks slot into as they were never made for the Verlinden tank being absent from the Tamiya Tiger late it was modeled from. I have also added the fender mounting points along the sides of the hull and the exhaust cover mounting points on the rear hull wall. This means that I can get on with the zimmerit.
Photos
These first three show the details around the front of the turret, including the simulation of the large armoured plate that protects the front of the turret in behind the mantlet. This peeps out either side of the turret, being the two bumps above and below the gun cradle mounting pins. (if that makes any sense :S

These show the fender mounting points etc

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Fehrmann Tiger I F05 Heng Long Tiger I makeover 2 years 7 months ago #30

• Bishop
This now has scraps of zimmerit on the hull. I've gone the heated plastic route, gluing strips of the right shape plastic in place and giving it all the paper clip treatment. I've also added the kit muzzle brake to the metal barrel as the I realised on inspection that the brake that comes with the barrel is for a late Tiger I, the smaller brake in other words. The kit part goes on very nicely and will be easy to detail. Photos to follow.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary