Okay. The building of the basket and turret floor is now complete. All the extra items are in as much as is possible and see-able. Everything has had a base coat and I'll now put it all aside and get on with the walls and roof of the turret interior. Again there is a lot to do here, but nothing as complicated as what sits below it. I'll actually start by adding all the externals to the turret walls, track holders etc, as these poke into the interior and will need to be cut and filled from inside so that you can't see where they attach to the exterior. There are really only a few components to sort out. Lamps, self defense weapon, periscopes.... lots of periscopes, the mechanism to open the commander's hatch and the rather complicated mechanisms to open the loader's hatch. The rear hatch still needs the cord used to pull it shut under fire, but otherwise its ready to go. There is also the wiring to do. I'm not too worried about all this as you can't see much of it, but it will be worth the effort to get it to look the part even if its not spot on accuracy wise. Lots of photos showing where we are now. I'd forgotten how big this thing is when its all together.
That Sir, is one hell of a scratch build...love the work and detail you have added, truly a talented chap...fantastic work
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
A quick update. Various bits have been added to the turret interior. A few more bits have gone in since these shots. I've also include a shot of some very useful tools I've bought in the last couple of weeks. A mini tube cutter (finally even bits of tube) and a mini clamp/holder. Both have been really helpful. I have a larger tube cutter which I never knew how to use successfully. I was sold as a pipe bender, is in fact a larger one of these. Only a few bits left to make in the upper interior. Still working on the cupola and need to make the binoculars mount, the catch for the loader's hatch and the draw cables for the loader's hatch and the rear hatch. Then its a matter of wiring it all up. The third light has been made and is waiting for the rest of the cupola to be finished before its installed.
Well, work has been busy, but I've plugged away at this and have now finished the interior. Nothing is super detailed just detailed enough to look as you'd expect peering through hatches and up through the bottom of the turret. I will now let everything dry properly and then return to paint all the details and weather everything. This will all then be sealed up so that I can weld it all shut. More welding to do. So glad I did the hull welds when I did. There's a poo load to do on the turret too. Next up will work on the details on the outside of the turret. This will include the three gas detector plates (only two were molded on and were very crude), the sight pins welded to the front cupola periscope, the pin sight forward of the cupola (the block is already in place which I have drilled out read for a pin) and the detail on the barrel and muzzle. Funny to think that I'm finally at this end of the build. I must say, I'm really glad to be finished the interior. Its the first time I've begun to feel a little fed up with one of these since getting back into things on the BergePanther. The funny thing is the BergePanther is still not quite done. Rather nice to know that there is more yet to do. I'm also secretly wanting to get hold of a Heng Long StuG III, but we shall see
Finished before painting
Why you make an interior when you have a huge rear hatch
A small note about the gun sight roof bracket. With the Pz III I made this attached to the sight and slotted it into the roof mounted tube which acted as the top of the bracket. In this case there was no way to slot anything into anything when the top came down on the turret floor. So I set about measuring where things were and where they might end up sitting and blow me down everything lined up perfectly.
Another big moment. The only two things left to do in the interior are the hatch cables for the rear and loader's hatches. I'd do these as I detail (paint), everything in the interior. The whole turret has been primed with black and red oxide. I love the shots in red oxide I confess. The Dark yellow has been sprayed over the top and I'll now let this all settle as I return to the interior. The sophisticated masking box worked a treat with no leaks. That's a good thing as it means that I can spray the green camouflage using it as well. It looks very large all together and as always its a great sight to see it in one colour after so long. So, photos, lots of photos
The look I'm going for with the camouflage is as follows. There is some debate as to whether 100 actually looked like this or was simply the standard tri colour scheme. I'm going with this in any case. I rather like the scheme and the concept that it has been cobbled together for the last stand.