Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: A quick build

A quick build 8 years 2 months ago #1

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 931
This is the Italeri Demag 7 with a flak 38, I started it at Model-X at the begining of the month and had it done in a couple of days. Thought I'd do it up in a desert type yellow straight out of the box with the addition of an aluminium barrel I knocked up using the plastic one as a guide.

I like to try new things and a plain yellow/sand is the first time I've done one on a German vehicle, not sure if it's accurate (not too fussed, it's just an experimental build).
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Re: A quick build 8 years 2 months ago #2

• charlieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
great build gary i really like that love the colour and that shading effect with the red primer showing through? hairspray method? and herr flick get's about too just saw him in sevastopol.

Re: A quick build 8 years 2 months ago #3

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yes the old red primer, I've been experimenting with a new method, where I drag a paint brush loaded with Gary glue (the nickname given to the glue I make) over a painted area, it drags off the top coat and exposed the layer underneath, depending on the amount and pressure it can remove just small film to a whole layer or even 2 layers. As I use a metaliser under the red oxide it can also expose the "metal" underneath as you can see on the front wings, this isn't a pencil dragged over the high points it's actually the base coat showing through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlieboy

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Re: A quick build 8 years 2 months ago #4

• charlieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
great tip thanks metaliser first coat never thought of that.

Re: A quick build 8 years 2 months ago #5

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I've posted it a couple of times here and over at the Zone but I use a metal coat to represent the metal, so if it's a plane I'll use Aluminium (normally one of the Mr Metals Aluminiums), if it's a Tank or vehicle I'll use Humbrol Polished Steel (27003), paint it on and buff it up. Then I use a normal autoshop (Halfords) Red Oxide, I have a special connector I made from brass tubing that connects to a bottle with 2 holes drilled in the lid for decanting it. This forms the 2nd coat or the "primer" of the vehicle (or if it's an aircraft I'll use the appropriate primer like yellow oxide etc). Over this then goes the top coat, I'm a bit heavy handed so this process actually works quite well as all the handling of the model in the build process does a lot of the weathering for me :D

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary