Here is my Trumpeter 1/3 M4 RIS Carbine. Not quite armour, but it seemed the most appropriate heading under which to post a rifle.
The photo doesn't really show the range of tones and finishes that I used to replicate those found on the real weapon. It is painted in various shades of grey using Tamiya and Gunze acrylics, details were picked out with vallejo and I used a black oil wash and dry brushed with humbrol enamel dark grey (extra dark sea grey mostly). There is some subtle colour modulation used to bring out more of the shape, basically each component was preshaded with Tamiya XF1 black with a few drops of X22 gloss clear added, then the more raised parts were highlighted with progressively lighter greys. For each different material I used a different colour to lighten the black, for instance the barrel, which is phosphated steel used Nato black lightened with RLM grey to give a slightly greenish tint. The aimpoint mount used red to lighten it, and most of the rest used panzer grey in varying amounts. The rubber lens covers on the aimpoint were rubber black lightened with medium blue. The rear tube and back up iron sight were lightened with brown. The bolt and forward assist were painted with various Gunze and Testors buffing metalizer paints.
The vertical fore grip, back up iron sight, AN/PEQ-2A and the Aimpoint sight are from either the M16A4 or SR-16 kit. (I purchased the M16A4 for spares, but it was missing the lower receiver sprue, so HLJ sent me an entire SR-16 kit to replace the lower receiver which means I can now build the M16A4 complete using the unused carry handle from this kit).
It is currently very clean, I may weather it a little more, with some bare metal showing on some of the edges and some dust in the recesses of the plastic hand grips and rail covers. I may make a sling if I can find some suitable scale webbing and buckles etc, but that might have to wait until the M16A4.
Here is the box top and an in-progress shot of the various major assemblies:
So a quick run down on some of the extra work that was carried out to improve the kit:
The kit trigger guard was removed and a new one scratch built. The original was moulded as part of one side of the receiver and didn't look right.
The baseplate on the magazine was detailed, with retaining tabs added to the magazine body and base plate so that it looked like a separate piece. I also scribed around the base plate.
The forward sling swivel attaching point was modified slightly by having little roll pins added to better represent the full sized version.
The mount for the aimpoint was mostly scratch built, since the kit version didn't look like any of the photos I could find of the real thing. I also drilled out the hinges for the flip up lens covers and added brass rod so that the hinges work.
I added the picatinny mount to the AN/PEQ-2A Target Pointer Illuminator Aiming Light, which is an IR laser/illuminator.
Cheers guys, I can recommend these kits, the detail is pretty good and they do go together easily. Plus there is plenty of scope to scratch build extra details, if I had a lathe I would have built a Surefire weapon light for it too.
It is roughly 27cm long, to give some idea of the final size.
I have one of those kits in the stash for years and have never had the 'spaldings' to deal with that many metallic finishes.
How did you find the fit and molding of the kit?
Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at
for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.
It was pretty good, care was needed when aligning the main parts to ensure it looked nice and straight. There were a couple of notable simplifications though, that I mentioned above, such as the base of the magazine and the trigger guard. Neither of these was hard to improve.
There is some pretty fine engraving on the barrel and receiver, and the main parts have good locating keys to align them correctly (ie the fore end can only be assembled to the receiver the correct way around). I like the fact it is large enough to allow for easy scratchbuilding of accurate details like the picatinny mount on the underside of the PEQ-2.
That's an interesting point about the barrel nut, I hadn't noticed that. I see that all the kits that come with rail fore ends come with that part, the kits that come with the standard A1 or A2 (or carbine) handguards are the ones with the delta rings.