Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #1

• Phil
  • Phil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 98
Here is my Trumpeter 1/3 M4 RIS Carbine. Not quite armour, but it seemed the most appropriate heading under which to post a rifle.

The photo doesn't really show the range of tones and finishes that I used to replicate those found on the real weapon. It is painted in various shades of grey using Tamiya and Gunze acrylics, details were picked out with vallejo and I used a black oil wash and dry brushed with humbrol enamel dark grey (extra dark sea grey mostly). There is some subtle colour modulation used to bring out more of the shape, basically each component was preshaded with Tamiya XF1 black with a few drops of X22 gloss clear added, then the more raised parts were highlighted with progressively lighter greys. For each different material I used a different colour to lighten the black, for instance the barrel, which is phosphated steel used Nato black lightened with RLM grey to give a slightly greenish tint. The aimpoint mount used red to lighten it, and most of the rest used panzer grey in varying amounts. The rubber lens covers on the aimpoint were rubber black lightened with medium blue. The rear tube and back up iron sight were lightened with brown. The bolt and forward assist were painted with various Gunze and Testors buffing metalizer paints.

The vertical fore grip, back up iron sight, AN/PEQ-2A and the Aimpoint sight are from either the M16A4 or SR-16 kit. (I purchased the M16A4 for spares, but it was missing the lower receiver sprue, so HLJ sent me an entire SR-16 kit to replace the lower receiver which means I can now build the M16A4 complete using the unused carry handle from this kit).

It is currently very clean, I may weather it a little more, with some bare metal showing on some of the edges and some dust in the recesses of the plastic hand grips and rail covers. I may make a sling if I can find some suitable scale webbing and buckles etc, but that might have to wait until the M16A4.

Here is the box top and an in-progress shot of the various major assemblies:

So a quick run down on some of the extra work that was carried out to improve the kit:

The kit trigger guard was removed and a new one scratch built. The original was moulded as part of one side of the receiver and didn't look right.

The baseplate on the magazine was detailed, with retaining tabs added to the magazine body and base plate so that it looked like a separate piece. I also scribed around the base plate.

The forward sling swivel attaching point was modified slightly by having little roll pins added to better represent the full sized version.

The mount for the aimpoint was mostly scratch built, since the kit version didn't look like any of the photos I could find of the real thing. I also drilled out the hinges for the flip up lens covers and added brass rod so that the hinges work.

I added the picatinny mount to the AN/PEQ-2A Target Pointer Illuminator Aiming Light, which is an IR laser/illuminator.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Phil.

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #2

• Glenn
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 528
Very nice job :) Looks really good.
Love the different shades :cheer:

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #3

• RED
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
nice

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #4

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1160
Yup, nice job Phil and something very different.

Kane
On the Bench - 1/48 Revell F-15E

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #5

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers guys, I can recommend these kits, the detail is pretty good and they do go together easily. Plus there is plenty of scope to scratch build extra details, if I had a lathe I would have built a Surefire weapon light for it too.

It is roughly 27cm long, to give some idea of the final size.

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #6

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
  • Thank you received: 239
Very nice.
I have one of those kits in the stash for years and have never had the 'spaldings' to deal with that many metallic finishes.

How did you find the fit and molding of the kit?

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #7

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It was pretty good, care was needed when aligning the main parts to ensure it looked nice and straight. There were a couple of notable simplifications though, that I mentioned above, such as the base of the magazine and the trigger guard. Neither of these was hard to improve.

There is some pretty fine engraving on the barrel and receiver, and the main parts have good locating keys to align them correctly (ie the fore end can only be assembled to the receiver the correct way around). I like the fact it is large enough to allow for easy scratchbuilding of accurate details like the picatinny mount on the underside of the PEQ-2.

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #8

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
Nice work B)

Interesting scale choice of 1/3 by Trumpeter. Didn't Verlinden have some 1/4 scale weapon in their catalogue in the mid to late 90s?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #9

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, they had a Colt Commando, an Uzi, a P90, an AK and some kind of old revolver, probably a colt M1851 navy pattern.
I think they also had a Browning M1919 water cooled machine gun on a tripod.

These Trumpeter kits are quite a lot larger than the old Verlinden ones.

I wish Trumpeter would come out with some more in this scale, rather than just multiple variations of the AR-15.

An AK, and MP-5 or even something a bit larger like an M60 or MAG58 would be pretty cool. Or an SLR, I'd definitely build one of those.

Last Edit: by Phil.

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #10

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Classy job there Phil, looks real. ;)

I'd be up for some other kits in this scale too . . .

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #11

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Very cool !
I have all those parts in scale 1:1 :P
...as well as the M16A4...

To be pedantic the knights RAS rail in the kit has a free float barrel nut, where it should be a delta ring...
I think I need one of these, this is looks so good.

Last Edit: by grunzter.

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 10 months ago #12

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That's an interesting point about the barrel nut, I hadn't noticed that. I see that all the kits that come with rail fore ends come with that part, the kits that come with the standard A1 or A2 (or carbine) handguards are the ones with the delta rings.

1/3 Trumpeter M4A1 Carbine - first completed build for 2016 2 years 9 months ago #13

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1599
Very nice work. Very convincing. I wish they'd do a whole range of WWII guns/ weapons as well. Imagine an MG42 or Bren Gun etc.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary