Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: First atempt at weathering

First atempt at weathering 4 years 7 months ago #1

• PJNZ
  • PJNZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 210
I havent done any modelling for many years and have never tried weathering before. I have done quite a bit of airbushing and other painting artwork. Anyway I have seen lots of amazing examples of model weathering online so wanted to have a go. This is a this 1/35 tamiya M36 tank destroyer - i used 2 tamiya acrylic colours for the base colour then, house of colour auto paint and watercolour paints! A weird combination of mediums I know! I'd like to try more weathering and a diorama. Any feedback on weathering and diorama materials / construction would be appreciated. Thanks for looking. Paul

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First atempt at weathering 4 years 7 months ago #2

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
  • Thank you received: 247
Nice effort for first weathering, most ppl end up with something that looks like it was dragged out of the mud.
Plenty of great builder here to get tips from but the one I always try to remember when weathering is to follow the natural flow, rain flows down, exhausts go back, mud splashes up etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PJNZ

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

First atempt at weathering 4 years 7 months ago #3

• Glenn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 543
Great work for your first try at weathering,she looks well weathered :)
Always good to have a look at photos of the real thing,where the mud and dirt builds up and settles on different areas.
US armour paint did not chip of as much as german paint.As with all paint there will be worn areas ,
How old do to want it to look,tanks did not last that long in the battle field so how beaten up would the get before been taken out.

First atempt at weathering 4 years 7 months ago #4

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Webby and Glenn. Yes remembering gnatural flow makes good sense. This attempt just kind of evolved without much pre-referential thought. I like rust grime chips dings scratches and MUD! I think it'd be easy for me to always want to overdo the effects. Sometimes less (well placed stuff) is more huh..

First atempt at weathering 4 years 7 months ago #5

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Good start Paul. As Glen has said, look at references as much as possible. Until late in WWII German vehicles were regularly maintained and kept in generally good condition, so a lot of the Heavy weathering you see around on scale models is not necessarily accurate. The "Spanish" Style which has recently come to the fore tends to favour the heavy chipping, rust and mud appearance, but in reality much of what this is based on is wrecked vehicles which have been left out to rust and deteriorate.
Hey, at the end of the day, what you choose to do is entirely up to you, but Glens suggestions of looking at the real deal are worth while.
Something I noted on your M10; You haven't weathered the hull behind the tracks. This is usually the place I start my weathering, before I add tracks or wheels.
Good luck in your modelling. I'm sure plenty here will be waiting to see how you progress. It's a place most of us still find ourselves . . .

D1

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

First atempt at weathering 4 years 7 months ago #6

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks 1/35 Battalion - more good info toward fuller understanding. At this stage I am probably more attracted to the drama of a munted (spanish?) look than complete accuracy. That said I like the idea of a reasonable level of believability too. Yes good noticing on the unweathered area behind the wheels and tracks! I built this model years ago and only a few days ago did the weathering and afterward realised Id missed that bit. Yesterday during a bush walk I picked up some tiny moss etc and stuck it in the track area. I doubt its very authentic positioning but the idea has potential. I wonder about lightly spraying the stuff with some kind of laquer etc to seal in the greeness...
Attachments:

Last Edit: by PJNZ.

First atempt at weathering 4 years 6 months ago #7

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well I tore the m36 apart for a bit more weathering practice. Had a go at paint chipping on edges and mud on bogies. Any thoughts?

Attachments:

First atempt at weathering 4 years 6 months ago #8

• olive drab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 213
Photos show mud stuck to the front of the bogie mount and dust and dirt on the hull with build up around the mounts for each set.

First atempt at weathering 4 years 6 months ago #9

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Just remember Paul, that this much Mud up high would also evidence other horizontal surfaces with some degree of dirt and grime also. Again, check reference materials, of which there is a great amount online. The degree and colour of dirt and mud will be differ from one place to another across countries and continents and in differing seasons as well.
The wear and tear on edges is also a matter of taste and degree. Areas with high wear would be places of entry and egress, where the vehicle scrapes against something, areas where ammo or fuel are regularly loaded etc. Often an amount of paint removed may only be to the primer colour underneath, it's only heavy scratches that will go to bare metal. In all these instances, Reference, reference, reference. :P Check out your local library as there is usually material on military vehicles and such with photos that you can use to study. Same goes online, often more so . . .

Keep on practicing dude. And good on yuh for doing so . . .

D1

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

First atempt at weathering 4 years 6 months ago #10

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
cheers for the feedback guys yeah i guess i have to start studying real pictures more

First atempt at weathering 4 years 6 months ago #11

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Interesting thing is that on Shermans, you didn't often get heavy build ups of mud and such on the bogeys and suspension units, only in Really muddy areas. The design was such that it often shed most of the heavy surface build up fairly quickly, holding on the the lighter underneath layers which were more built up over time.
Take a wee look here and maybe delve deeper in . . .: www.google.co.nz/search?q=M4+Sherman+in+...D8901506%3B504%3B341

D1
Attachments:

On the Bench:

Last Edit: by 1/35th Battalion.

First atempt at weathering 4 years 6 months ago #12

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1693
The thing to remember is that though maintained well enough the general run down in between can be quite heavy. I actually really like this. The wheels need to be more consistent with where you place the mud, but you've got lots of good colours going. This vehicle I would suggest has been through a lot and will shortly be refurbished. The comments about chipping are very reasonable. Certain theatres create more wear and tear, but certainly for Panzers things got pretty worn because of the quality of the paint fairly quickly with Panzers needing reprays after campaigns (early in the war, there is good footage of this after Poland and France) or when visiting the workshops. This went on until the last weeks of the war, but chipping needs to tell the story of what has been happening until the respray.

As for the Japanese tanks the paint was dreadful so rubbed and chipped off very quickly in the PTO. As stated, the UK and USA used good paint so it lasted quite well, the main weathering being where it has rubbed off or been disfigured through combat or spilt fuel etc.

This is a great early effort and a great foundation to start on. Look at the pictures and look at your local council/ construction company etc vehicles to see how the weathering appears on these.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

First atempt at weathering 4 years 6 months ago #13

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Tony. I think you're seeing the potential even thought the accuracy of location and believability of mud etc is thus far only moderately successful. I'm trying to play with various affects and hopefully they will start to come together slowly over time. Thanks for the encouragement! :)
I have a Tasca VC firefly coming so will have to try and get clued up plenty for that one!

First atempt at weathering 4 years 6 months ago #14

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I washed off the last lot and did a bit more experimenting...this time going for a dusty look (after driving through some mud a few days ago). Somewhere in Italy.....?
What you reckon?
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary