TOPIC: M4 (early)

M4 (early) 5 years 8 months ago #1

• IAN
  • IAN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 439
Kit: Tamiya 35190
Paint & Weathering: (Mostly) Tamiya Acrylic. MIG pastels, oil washes & filters.
Decals: Kit.
Extras: RB aluminium barrel, numerous extras from Tamiya, Italeri & Academy accessory sets.

References: New Vanguard #3 ‘Sherman Medium Tank’ – S J. Zaloga.
US Armour Camouflage & Markings WWII – Jim Mesko.
D-Day to Berlin, Armour Camouflage & Markings of the US, British
& German Armies, June 1944 to May 1945 – Terence Wise.
Building & Detailing Realistic Sherman Tanks – James K. Wechsler.

M4 Sherman (Early - Remanufactured)
‘H’ Company, 66th Armd. Regt.
2nd Armd. Division
France, August 1944

Built for the 'Shermans' Campaign/Group Build over on Modelers Alliance - the build thread is here - Really enjoyable, and for me lightning-fast, project.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. As ever happy to take any and all questions, criticism and comments.

AFN

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by IAN.

M4 (early) 5 years 8 months ago #2

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Nice build Ian and a good thread over on MA too. Some nice stuff over there and I see Tony Lee with his own Masters Thread too.

Keep up the fab work ij001 :whistle: It would be great to see you more regularly here too . . . B)

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: IAN

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

M4 (early) 5 years 8 months ago #3

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Good one Ian. Can't wait to see what you've lined up for the D-Day GB on here ...?
I've already seen a Spitfire and this Sherman that would have qualified from the start line (so to speak).
Ok, you've asked for feedback.
I'm a little loath to do so as I consider you a better model maker than me and I am not an AFV expert, though a built a few some years ago.
To me your Sherman lacks a little "definition". The hatches, panels and edges sort of disappear into the whole.
Although this may be very realistic, to me it looks kind of amorphous.
I guess I'd have used a dark wash - a la aircraft panel lines - around hatches, panels and on edges like the hull edges to lift them out.
I acknowledge the naievity (sic) of my comment and that it may be sacrilege to a proper AFV builder.
I really like your weathering, stowage and little details like the helmet, tommy gun and medic's bag.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

M4 (early) 5 years 8 months ago #4

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks Wally, really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

It's a good point that you've made regarding 'defining' the panel lines. The effect I have tried to achieve is "well used, but not battered". To that end the layer of dust (MIG pastels) that I added covers the whole vehicle including the stowage, this in-turn has the effect of nullifying the washes (and there were a lot of them) which low-lighted the recesses AND the dry-brushing that high-lighted the raised detail....

....In other words the dust/pastel finish has, like in real life, made the whole thing look like the 'geography' it's traveled through !! - Have to admit, because I'm still very much at the steep end of the learning curve as far as pastels and filters are concerned, it is overdone on this model, but I'll get better with each try.... I hope :unsure:

AFN

Ian

M4 (early) 5 years 8 months ago #5

• Nth-Shore Modlr
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Nice job on the M-4,would take you to task over some of the details of this vehicle,Hurricane as of August '44 didn't have a hedge row cutter fitted,you're right in using the late one piece trans cover but haven't fitted the older style horn guard & horn + no brush guards fitted or scopes to the drivers or radio ops hatches,the trx at this time were plain rubber block tread + 2nd Armoured were earth brown over olive drab camo.Also I worked with rope for many years & they certainly don't stay clean for v/long & considering the amount of weathering the vehicle has seen it kind of spoils the overall effect,yes I know others will say what a picky guy(or worse...)but with all the info available to modellers why not go that little bit further with detail before setting about weathering etc......well thats my 10c worth :evil:
NSModlr

M4 (early) 5 years 8 months ago #6

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Fair points all.

1 - Camo
I spent some time on this. In a lot of publications, 2nd Armour is quoted as Earth Brown/OD. However on the 66th Regimental website where the question was asked by another modeller building his fathers vehicle from Fox Co. two vets stated clearly that they had only ever seen Black/OD, on another thread there was a b/w photo that appeared to back this up and I understand that SJZ has recently amended his research to the same conclusion.

2 - The Rope
You're absolutely right, it does look way too bright. If you were to see it in the flesh, you'd see that this is not the case, it's had a number of dark, dirty washes. It's the bleaching effect of the flash, in the same way that the turret codes look a lot brighter than they actually are.

3 - Hedge Cutter
Yep you got me. I have that photo too - the one of it being serviced - no hedge cutter. Artistic license !!

Thanks for your pointers Nth Shore, always appreciated.

Ian

M4 (early) 5 years 8 months ago #7

• olive drab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 213
The air ID panel should have a dark OD band around the edge and when deployed were placed across the complete width of the stowage across the deck for maximum visability from the air. They also seem to have been kept very clean!
Ive previously posted a youtube clip that shows this.
Most recent research shows the 2nd Div Shermans done in black bands , I understand that the black paint was at times mixed with fuel which gave it a glossy finish Operation Cobra Shermans were done in this way.
This you tube clip shows their use
how they were placed and just how bright they were or are in this modern reconstruction;

Last Edit: by olive drab.

M4 (early) 5 years 8 months ago #8

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
That's pretty cool Ian B)

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary