• Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama

Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #1

• Dean
  • Dean's Avatar Topic Author
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
  • Thank you received: 44
It occured to me that I haven't actually posted up any of my own work here so dug out these photos of my first diorama built in late 2009. It's currently undergoing renovation as I want to replace the two Italeri Sd.Kfz.234/2 with a DML Sd.Kfz.234/2 and a DML Sd.Kfz.234/4. I also didn't know about washes back then so I'm going to redo the figures with an umber wash to mute the colours and pick out the recesses as well as weather the weapon slings.

It represents two Panzer Lehr vehicles carrying 1SSLAH grenadiers in late September 1944 in North Eastern France.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
Last Edit: by Dean.

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #2

• Dean

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #3

• Dean

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #4

• Dean

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #5

• charlieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
nice work dean, that is a really busy scene you have done there i especially love the pea dot camoflauge on the guys smocks etc. very nice, how big is that dioramma?

Last Edit: by charlieboy.

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #6

• Dean

charlieboy wrote: nice work dean, that is a really busy scene you have done there i especially love the pea dot camoflauge on the guys smocks etc. very nice, how big is that dioramma?

I don't have a ruler handy and too long ago to remember but roughly 30x40cm. The base was the top of a small side table ( middle one in a set of three nesting tables I picked up cheap ).

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #7

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1693
There's a great deal to like about this. I must say that the house, tree and well are excellent, especially the wooden planks. I also love the glasses on the guy. All the figures are interesting, there's no one just filling in. I can't wait to see the update because this is very good.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #8

• Dean

Bishop wrote: I also love the glasses on the guy.

The old guy or the Puma Commander by the well ? I made those before I discovered photo etch ones, still haven't decided which is easier.

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #9

• Dean
Has anyone encountered problems loading this page ?

Before I carry on doing similar uploads I just wanted to make sure no-one had problems loading threads with multiple images.

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #10

• Bishop
Not me. All good. I was looking at the soldier, I'll go back and check the commander out

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #11

• Dean

Bishop wrote: Not me. All good. I was looking at the soldier, I'll go back and check the commander out

I just realised the photo of him isn't that clear on his face, this shows more but the lighting sucks till I get set up properly.

Attachments:

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #12

• Bishop
Very realistic looking glasses actually.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #13

• bikingmike
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Awesome attention to detail Dean - the debris inside the house looks very realistic.

I just don't have the patience to do that sort of thing - I lose interest about half way through thinking about it! :D

Last Edit: by bikingmike.

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #14

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
This is a good looking diorama :) I'm lucky enough to have seen it in person :cheer:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #15

• Dean

Andrew wrote: This is a good looking diorama :) I'm lucky enough to have seen it in person :cheer:

awww shucks.

Hopefully the makeover will bring it up a notch. I'm also thinking of doing an extra figure using that camo decals to see how he compares.

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #16

• Marder38
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Very cool dio Dean, Can you tell me more about the story behind the dio & the battlegroup involved?
Just wondering why & when Panzer Lehr were workiing with LAH
Is it set around the Falaise Pocket?

Cheers Elliott

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #17

• Dean

Marder38 wrote: Very cool dio Dean, Can you tell me more about the story behind the dio & the battlegroup involved?
Just wondering why & when Panzer Lehr were workiing with LAH
Is it set around the Falaise Pocket?

Cheers Elliott

Pretty much, after Goodwood and Cobra the XLVII Panzer Corps under Von Kluge became a bit of a catchall unit and included remanats of 1SSLAH and Panzer Lehr ( as well as Das Reich and units like 2.Pz.Div and 116.Pz.Div. When things went pear shaped for them in Falaise it pretty much became every man for himself ( as much as Germans did every man for himself, more a case of a lot of small kampfgruppe were formed from whatever was left and fought their way back towards Germany so they could get enough rest and refit to then go and do the Ardennes ).

There wasn't much left of either 1SSLAH or Lehr at that stage but it is known that Panzer Lehr had 8 Sd.Kfz.234/2 on hand after their extraction out of the Falaise area around the end of August so the dio represents Grenadiers of 1SSLAH hitching a ride with vehicles of Panzer Lehr on the retreat back to the Saarland which puts them somewhere in North-Eastern France in September. I went with late September ( in my mind about the 20-22nd ) as I wanted my group to be just getting there in time to get refitted before being sent off to prepare for Wacht Am Rhein.

It's supposed to show the commander of the Panzer Lehr Puma's arguing with the Commander of the LAH Grenadiers as to where exactly they are. The map is a scaled down one of the actual area. The Puma Commander is pointing towards Aubange on the border where he thinks they should be heading while the Grenadier Commander ( can't remember what rank I gave him sorry ) is pointing further North suggesting they cross into Belgium ( my sick little joke there, as if he continues in that direction he'll end up in Melmedy - but then I build a lot of little private jokes into things. The bird for example is a trademark, all my dioramas have an animal ).

Re: Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma Diorama 8 years 7 months ago #18

• Dean
Found a couple more photos in another folder, one shows it from the other end, one shows the bird mentioned above, the third is my favourite, made to look like it was taken as the sun was setting in the direction the two crew on the righthand Puma are facing.

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary