Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 1 week ago #1 by Gary
Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB was created by Gary
Time for something different, well kind of, this will be the biggest single engine aircraft I've built. Every man and his dog has already built one, so no pressure to be the first, so sit back and enjoy the ride.
I won the kit in a raffle a couple of years back, I just added the Mk1 update set to it which turned up yestrerday.
It seems to have almost everythng you can think of in extras, from brass barrels, rocket warheads, to resin bulged tyres.
Can't see any cloth belts yet but they'll be easy enough to make if they aren't in here somewhere.
Obligatory shot of the box contents and we're away.......

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 1 week ago #2 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB
1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB Pt.2

Actually a bit disapointed with the quality of the kit, it's like a kit from the 80's it's got flash everywhere and not the good Mr Gordon type.....
Every edge has mould lines that need to be scraped off, considering this is a relatively new tooling its surprising how much there is that needs to be removed.
Still with my handy dandy dremel and the fantastic Hobby Element polishers it's not so hard, just time consuming and did I mention the ejector pin holes, it's got more holes than a Goth in a piercing salon or as some might say the plot of the last Star Wars movie.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 1 week ago #3 by Gary
1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB Pt.3
Nightly update, primed and painted a large part of the interior structure. The unpainted parts are just push fitted at the moment so I can take them apart and paint them.
Using Mr Color (Gunze) 364 Interior Green for RAF, it's my go to RAF interior paint, hard to get but it's nice.
I'll need to start painting some of the components before I go to much further or it'll be hard to get in there later.
A lot of cleaning up to do but it's not a bad kit so far when all said and done.

Attachments:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 1 week ago #4 by Gary
1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB Pt.4
Everything has now been fixed in place and the painting has started. Actually starting to look like a cockpit :)
The original pedals were out of alignment, I replaced them with photoetch parts and moved them to a more upright position, I think I've moved them too far upright but it's better than they were.
Will check the other bits that go in this area next then start weathering next.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 1 week ago #5 by Gary
1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB Pt.5
Trying to keep the momentum going, this is update number 5 and I've been tinkering around with the cockpit appying some weathering in the form of pigments and washes.
Just in the process of building the seatbelts, they are brass so not sure how good they will look, might end up making them out of paper.
Still got a cushion to add to the bottom of the seat then some more weathing to the seat and on to the IP.
Thanks for looking.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 1 week ago #6 by Gary
1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB Pt.6
Work on the cockpit continues, its slow going as the Mk1 upgrade parts are bit fiddly. Wasn't convinced about a full photo etch seatbelt set but it's grown on me.
With the the gentle application of some heat from my mini chef's blowtorch (very useful for PE) I was able to aneal the brass and make it more flexible.
I made the mistake of making up all the belts before heat treating them, CA burns baby!! So one I'd torched it all I had to reglue all the joints that had burnt up. Which is why the belts are discoloured.
Not a big deal slapped some paint on and they don't look too bad.
Next up was the right side panel, again this was fiddly but came out looking ok to me.
Thanks for looking.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 1 week ago #7 by Gary
1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB Pt.7
Slow progress but it's creeping along. Been doing more work in the "Office".
Work started with the port side control panel, I scraped off all the lovely detail and applied the PE sheet, followed by the various bezels and knobs and levers etc.
For the main Instrument Panel I decided to go with the kit one. The Mk.1 Printed steel "PE" was proving to be a pain in the arse to work with, it wouldn't bend and when it did the printed carrier would come off and leave big shiny areas. So I dumped it and went with the slighly longer but better looking approach.
Had to apply decals to each of the dials but did it pretty much to the book, painting the bezals on the front and then dipping the clear back in Gauzy before fitting the two halves.
Still got some little bits and bobs to add and paint but it's getting there.
Thanks for looking.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #8 by Gary
1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB Pt.8
Finished up the Cockpit, adding the Oil and what I think is an airtank or it could be a hot air exchanger as there is a pipe that goes to the canons carrying hot air.
Anyway calling the interior done, might add some more detail to the wiring if the area is exposed enough to warrant it.
Started building up the engine, I've got to say it builds up really nice and the fit is very good. I've built it up to the point where it will get it's first black base coat.
All caught up now, thanks for looking, as always comments welcome.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Gary.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
1 month 6 days ago #9 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB
Nice work G1. Are those Decal intruments? Look really effective

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 6 days ago #10 by Gary
Thanks Kane, yes they are the kit decals.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary