Over the past couple of days, I've been removing engine parts from sprues and tidying them up. I've just placed orders for a whole lot of wiring and tubing etc that I didn't already have, from overseas. As that will take a while to arrive, I can set the engine aside and continue with the paint prep on the aircraft exterior. I will be using the Scotch Brite black basing technique for sure.
Masking of undercarriage bays completed. It's just the front canopy that needs to be done now. Before I mask it, I am going to Polish it with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish 10, which is a final stage polish with anti-static properties. I've gone completely off dipping canopies in floor polish, clear varnish or any other shyte.
Bishop wrote: Why did you give up on the dipping of the canopies if I may ask? I need to think about this when I come to the planes in the stash.
When I use Future or Alclad Aqua Gloss I get bubbles, regardless of trying to remove them with a brush immediately after application. Not talking lots of bubbles, just 1 or 2 (enough to piss me off when I know they're there ) . I find AK's Gauzy often pulls off when I use vinyl masks. It's annoying after the clear coat has cured to find a spec of dust, fine hair etc. Polishing is easy and eliminates these issues.
The only disappointment so far... the lack of any detail where there should be a light lens for the nav lights. I have added basic detail by filling with putty and it has paid off. The putty has shrunk just as I hoped. I could carefully drill and add a small piece of stretched clear sprue to represent a bulb, but will leave as is. Will colour it with the chrome marker before attaching the wingtips.
Vallejo aluminium sprayed over areas that will be getting the chipping treatment courtesy of the Maskol technique. This is going to give me more control over the chipping pattern than the hairspray technique will.
Black basing of undersides completed using the scotch brite technique and then the same colour misted on to tie it all together. Am going to do a little more preshading work before I apply the underside colours.