Here is another one I started a long time ago and which was almost ready for decals, but I was not happy with the paint finish, so it got relegated to the Shelf of Doom. I have grabbed it as one of the To Be Finished builds for the year.
Since getting it back on the workbench I have:
- Stripped the natural metal finish - as the aircraft I was going to finish this as is now the subject of the 1/48 Shelf of Doom P-51D revival, and I have better information to hand, this will now be a camouflaged Suez Crisis marked Mustang.
- Removed the Hasegawa prop blades which were incorrect for this aircraft and added the Airfix F-51D blades courtesy of Grant (thanks again Grant)
- Dropped the elevators
- Removed the dropped flaps I did previously and rebuild then reattached them
- Removed the Hasegawa underwing drop tank pylons and replaced them with those from another Airfix P-51D, as the Hasegawa ones are too long and a funny shape
- Built the HiTech M64 500lb bombs ready for paint
- Dug out the HiTech HVARs. These need a larger warhead fitted and 4 photoetch fins per rocket.
This already has the Aires cockpit installed, and I have scratchbuilt a rear radiator face for the empty opening under the fuselage.
So, here is where this now stands showing the replacement prop.