Here is another one I started a long time ago and which was almost ready for decals, but I was not happy with the paint finish, so it got relegated to the Shelf of Doom. I have grabbed it as one of the To Be Finished builds for the year.
Since getting it back on the workbench I have:
- Stripped the natural metal finish - as the aircraft I was going to finish this as is now the subject of the 1/48 Shelf of Doom P-51D revival, and I have better information to hand, this will now be a camouflaged Suez Crisis marked Mustang.
- Removed the Hasegawa prop blades which were incorrect for this aircraft and added the Airfix F-51D blades courtesy of Grant (thanks again Grant)
- Dropped the elevators
- Removed the dropped flaps I did previously and rebuild then reattached them
- Removed the Hasegawa underwing drop tank pylons and replaced them with those from another Airfix P-51D, as the Hasegawa ones are too long and a funny shape
- Built the HiTech M64 500lb bombs ready for paint
- Dug out the HiTech HVARs. These need a larger warhead fitted and 4 photoetch fins per rocket.
This already has the Aires cockpit installed, and I have scratchbuilt a rear radiator face for the empty opening under the fuselage.
So, here is where this now stands showing the replacement prop.
The HiTech M64s
The HiTech HVAR components
On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A JAWS conversion