• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #1 by Gary
1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J was created by Gary
Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24
It finally made it here (along with it's stablemate the HK Lancaster) all the way from China (via Hannants in the UK) it turned up at 18:30 on Friday night just as I was about to give up and sulk for the weekend.

Put all my other projects on the backburner to concentrate on this beast, cleared down the workspace ready to take the monster box of plastic heaven (yeah I'm sad like that :P )

And here it is..............

I thought I'd do a bit of size comparison of my other 1/32 Heavies, from the top we have.

HobbyBoss B-24 J Liberator
HK Models Avro Lancaster Mk I
HK Models Boeing B-17 G
HK Models B-25J Mitchell Strafer

The obligatory sprue photos.....

Finally the mountain of madness plastic that will hopefully become the B-24 Liberator..................

I'll be posting the full build log for this here or my own blog and not on FB as FB is the devil and posts just disappear too fast. If you want to see regular updates I'll be posting them as and when I can :D

Enjoy.
Comments and constructive critique always welcome.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Last edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Gary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #2 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
Really looking forward to watching this! Best of luck with the build!!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
It's going together really nice the fit is perfect, this is just push fit so far.
There's 10 parts here and they just fit.

It's not perfect they've made some rookie mistakes with some of the placings for the ejector pins etc, like this. But it cleans up well enough.

It's the pin holes like this that will prove formidable unless I can hide them behind the seats or fill them, it'll be the sanding between the sections that'll be a PitA

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #4 by Moeggo
Replied by Moeggo on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
Looking forward to this Gary. Are you planning to make any modifications & adjustments along the way? Or it going to be a straight up build?

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #5 by Gary
This one will be a straight up build, I'll add some seatbelts and 50's etc but other than that straight out the box. There doesn't seem to be any Aftermarket stuff out there yet.
When the 'D' comes out I'll be going nuts on that, I've got a full set of original Liberator manuals so I'll be filling it up to the top, will need to source a 1/32 Bolton Paul turret though if I'm going to turn it in to an RAF Liberator.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #6 by Gary
On to the seats, had to glue the framework as it was a bit fiddly, the rest is just push fit. Next up will be to attach the rest of the PE in the cockpit area then start slapping some paint on and reassemble it. Very impressed with the dry fit so far, it shows that you shouldn't listen to the "armchair modellers" on the internet who know it all but never actually build anything.

More
11 months 1 week ago #7 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J

Gary wrote: Very impressed with the dry fit so far, it shows that you shouldn't listen to the "armchair modellers" on the internet who know it all but never actually build anything.

I second that comment.

No surprise to me to see the man with a RAF Liberator signature cracking open his Xmas prezzie and getting stuck in!

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #8 by Gary
Hell it might yet end up in RAF livery yet, depends how good I can get the base coat and finish for the NMF

More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #9 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
The other day i was looking at this kit
www.imaco.com.hk/cgi-bin/prod.pl/id/IMA06735
But it is in 1/35

But than again the dome would be an easy to make .

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Maarten.

More
11 months 1 week ago #10 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
Watching this one Gary.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #11 by Gary
Thanks for the Link Maarten, I think I'll be learning Vacuum Forming or try to find a 1/32 BP turret, but that's a long way off yet :)

Anyway back to the job in hand.
Final test fit before paint, slapped some black down for the flooring.

Primer on.

Paint on

While this is drying in the oven I'm going to pull out these engines and see what all the fuss is really about.
Stay tuned.

More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #12 by Moeggo
Replied by Moeggo on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
Gary, have you seen this?

Should be;

1x RAAF

1x RAF 100 Group, Bomber Command

1 x RAF SEAC

1X RAF Coastal Command (311 Czech Sqn)
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Moeggo.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #13 by Gary
I have, thanks mate.
I think I need to get this one as it has the 'D' variant, I'll still think I'll go out the box with a NMF if I can, at least then I can fall back to a painted kite is I stuff up the finish.
I know these are 1/72 but I expect they'll also release them for 1/32 in the very near future.

Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Gary.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #14 by Gary
While the paint was waiting I quickly mocked up one of the engines, and yeah while they aren't as good as the HK ones or even the big Trumpy ones they are more than adequate, it's not like you get to see much of them once they are in the cowlings anyway.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #15 by Gary
Did you ever start one of those things and about 10 minutes in wonder WTF am I doing? Well this was one of those moments lol.
I looked at the Instrument Panel (IP) decal and thought to myself there's no way that's going to settle in to all those holes and look half decent, one reason is the depth of the holes and the sheer number of instruments. I wanted to keep the look of the original kit as much as possible so decided to punch out all the dials and individually set them in place. Bordering on insanity it was done, and looking at it now I'm glad I did it.
The coloured lines are masking tape I cut and painted then stuck on, they may look fat and nasty but they are so fine, I couldn't paint a straight line that thin and straight and I didn't want to make a mess. It'll all look ok once I've got some weathering done, flatted it all down then "glaze" the dials, but that's a job for tomorrow.

More
11 months 1 week ago #16 by Bishop
That dash looks great definitely worth it

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
11 months 1 week ago #17 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
That intrument panel is looking outstanding. Can't wait to see the finished product.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #18 by Gary
Still plodding along, just got to add the seats now, once they come out of the oven I'll add the belts and stick them in. The IP came out nice, I've done a bit of weathering to the the office which I'll probably leave there, it's far too easy to go over the top.

More
11 months 1 week ago #19 by rwkennard
Replied by rwkennard on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
Looking good so far Gary. What colour/ brand of green did you use for the cockpit?
Cheers,
Richard.
Ps. You're going to need a bigger spray booth!;)

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #20 by Gary
Thanks mate, I used AK Real Colours Bronze Green from the US aircraft interior set, I don't like their Yellow/Green Chromate, I prefer the Mr Hobby one so I'll be using that for the structural components that were painted in Green Chromate.
I've got everything I need to make my own spray booth, I have to large sheets of stainless steel, a brake press, an air cutter and a large volume Squirrel cage ducting fan that moves around 1,000m3 an hour. I just need a workshop to build it in as I converted the last one in to my modelling studio lol.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #21 by Gary
So in between building the HEMTT I'm also putting seat belts together for this, I couldn't just build these I need the distraction of the HEMTT or I'll go mad.
I've built to of these so far, I was in the workshop at 07:00 this morning as I woke up early.

The 1st two picture show the main buckle before on the left and after it's been bent on the right and a regular cocktail stick for size comparison.

Attached the main straps to the centre buckle, next up will be to attach the two buckles shown above

And here they are attached

The finished item with all the other buckles and straps added.

More
11 months 1 week ago #22 by Bishop
Precision!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #23 by Gary
Calling step one (the cockpit) finished.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
11 months 1 week ago #24 by grover
Replied by grover on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
Don't visit for a few days and G1 has almost finished another kit ;) Look great so far mate

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #25 by Gary
Long way off but I'll take the compliments, thanks mate :)
PS I've still got that M1 with your name on here, just saying.................

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
11 months 1 week ago #26 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
11 months 1 week ago #27 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J
Nice work on punching out all the dials G1. Belts look premo. I agree about going over the top on pits being something of a waste of time. In isolation most plastic kit cockpits look a bit bare, and my current 1/32 HK Mossie build is a good example of this. I made a bit of effort to scratchbuild the Oboe equipment for the Mossie , but once I closed the cockpit up, a lot of added detail just vanished into thin air! Perhaps only the big glass houses of Lanc's (or modern jet aircraft canopies) make the extra effort worthwhile?

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #28 by Gary
It should be worth it on this and the Lanc there's a lot of glass on both these kits, the downside of being 1st off the block is there's no aftermarket stuff like masks, decals, PE etc, so you have to make your own. I might make templates for the canopies and cut masks on the die cutter, which reminds me I need to post yours off, will get them in the post/courier tomorrow.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
11 months 1 week ago #29 by grover
Replied by grover on topic 1/32 HobbyBoss B-24 J

Gary wrote: Long way off but I'll take the compliments, thanks mate :)
PS I've still got that M1 with your name on here, just saying.................

is

Are you home on Wednesday? I'm in TA so may pop in for a coffee and see your new cave.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 1 week ago #30 by Gary
Nah mate back at work, what time you there/here till?

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary