I've been on holiday since 21 Dec and apart from finishing the UH-1H, this is the only modelling I have done - airbrushing black primer onto the ju-88. I am going to give black basing a go
This is the stuff I've used. Doesn't need thinning, although I ran the airbrush at 25psi. It gives a fantastic finish. IMO it shows up any flaws better than grey primer. I am happy to report I found no flaws.
Finally back on the bench, mainly to test a new technique for black basing... rapidly
Firstly, IMO, airbrushing a squiggle pattern randomly over a kit still looks too uniform, regardless of how random you try to make it.
And it takes too bloody long on a large kit
Enter the Scotch Brite mask technique which came about after I had been looking at the like of the Artool FX range of stencils and thought there must be a cheaper way. The results of spraying XF-54 Neutral Grey through the Scotch Brite which is first torn, stretched and torn in half along its horizontal axis.
Further mistings of neutral grey to reduce the contrast;
Custom mix for RLM 65 made up of equal parts of XF-23 and XF-2 (I add an equal amount of Tamiya lacquer thinner to my custom mixes) to this mix I added an equal amount of thinner to the airbrush cup to make it a highly diluted mix. This allows you to build up the topcoat gradually which makes it hard to overdo it and destroy the effect if you get heavy handed with the trigger.
An hour with the airbrush last night and the RLM 65 is now complete;
I will have a look over it again tonight and see if I need to make any further adjustments. Otherwise it will be onto the next step... which I haven't decided on yet. Might get the crosses masked up and sprayed first.
With the painting of the undersides completed, I gave the paint a polish with 8000 grit Micro Mesh and then cleaned it down with a rag moistened with white spirits. Firstly because I'm not going to apply clear before I apply the decals and secondly because I want to apply the initial washes without them bleeding into the matt paint too much.
I've finished airbrushing the underside markings. I used the Montex set.
Airbrakes masked and the end result;
First wash applied - Medium Grey PLW from Ammo's US Navy Jet set This has dirtied things up very slightly;
Ran a few tests for the RLM 71 on the paint mule last night.
The first was straight over the black basing with the panel lines darkened with Tamiya XF-61 and then highly thinned XF-61 airbrushed over for the top coat;
Photo came out crap, but looks a lot better in the flesh.
Next was highlights of Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan applied over the black base, followed by highly diluted coats of XF-61;
I actually though the second test would have given the result I was after, but it actually turned out pretty shit. I was going to run some more tests, but I think I will stick with the first test and post fade or use oil paint rendering.