So continuing with our adventures in rigging and WW1 subjects, I have the Eduard Albatros DV in 1/48
The moulding looks excellent, there are a lot of PE options throughout, the decals are going to look amazing, and if that's not good enough I accidentally bought 2..
the box , I plan to go with this colour scheme..
lots of decals, even strips for the ribbing, fun
and the colour scheme - I especially like the bright green tail
Quick question to anyone really, a problem I have encountered more recently is the issue of paint simply not sticking to the plastic, and it is especially bad with this kit - it is almost like the plastic has a repellent coating and no solvent seems to make any difference. Obviously this makes for a really bad show of painting, and I would really appreciate some suggestions from anyone who has encountered this with other kits and has a solution, before going to much further.
Given you've used solvents (I assume alcohol or meths?) I would suggest trying a less toxic route first by soaking in vinegar and then wash in detergent and warm water. This has actually worked on plastic for me in the past. If this fails my go to would be call in the heavy hitter - Gaianotes Resin Wash (hard to find now with BNA no longer shipping it). When my Gaianotes eventually runs out I may well shift to a locally available product like 3M Prep Solvent. I've not tried 3M but if car painting pro's use the stuff it's probably worth a punt.
Made a start with the cockpit interior - PE parts include instrument panel on right, various dials, seatbelts and attachments
Paint issue still a pain, I have tried meths, soap and water, lacquer thinners (best so far but dissolves plastic if not careful). I believe the answer might be a spray coat of primer
(Alclad microfiller primer) thinned with the lacquer thinners for the exterior paint job - special thanks for all your suggestions above, really helpful
There are some serious issues with the plastic finish of the kit - too much mould release agent left on the surface I think, which is impossible to remove, except with turps. In the end I just applied coats of acrylic followed by enamel, or vice versa, or spray coat of gloss enamel, or used the lozenge decals. Parts required gluing with super glue, plastic cement just fell apart after drying. As a result it has spent a long time sitting in its box.
I hurriedly finished this week, all in a few days with the aim just to get it done.
I stopped short of using any of the PE on the surface, knowing it would just fall off, and rigging is minimal.
End result though looks convincing - just don't look too close.
The model looks good and it's a nice scheme that you have applied.
One thing I do with all my model builds is to lightly sand all the main plastic parts, before assembly, with a used piece of 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper.You can do this with wet sandpaper or dry. I've never had any issues with glue or paint not sticking to the plastic as a result.