Got as far as applying a coat of Vallejo matt varnish to the inside of the canopy sections and IP shroud. Will wait till Friday night to fit the canopy as I've got a work do this arvo/evening. So probably best not to play with plastic when I get home tonight
So, instead of going with what I had originally planned, which was adding filler to remove the step that was still present, I sanded down the fuselage in that area instead. Glad I did because it looks a lot better and there's no need to use any filler now.
After laying down a coat of primer on the canopy, it revealed a couple of minor hairline gaps, so I filled with dissolved putty, sanded and reprimed. Unfortunately could see a couple of spots where I hadn't got rid of the excess putty completely, so I resanded the entire area and reprimed. Much better now
Also finished removing the gaps in the after section spine insert
Filled a few gaps with Mr Dissolved Putty. Hard to access that tight space, especially on the starboard side where the refuelling line runs. So being able to clean the excess off with a cotton bud soaked with lacquer thinner is a blessing
Fitted the flaps and the underwing stations. Big ups to Trumpeter for molding these stations as single parts.
Fuel tanks assembled, filled, sanded, primed and ready for paint
Wasn't happy with the area where the fore and aft sections of the fuselage join, so filled with Mr Dissolved putty and wiped away the excess. Much happier with the join now. Because the lacq thinner dissolved the primer, I have sanded it all smooth so there won't be any ugliness later.
I've given the entire airframe a going over with a 3M micro fine sanding pad in preparation for paint. Most of the ref photos I have show that our Skyhawks seem to have had, aside from the odd small paint touch up, entire panel repaints instead. So instead of preshading, I'm going to use slight variations of the base colour to pick out panels.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Trumpeter 1/32 A-4F Skyhawk as an RNZAF A-4K
9 months 1 day ago #82
Only progress since the last update was spending about an hour testing colour mixes for the overall green. I've settled on a mix of equal parts of Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green, XF-65 Field Grey and XF-2 Flat white
Last night I filled in a vent on the port side of the rear fuselage that I noticed wasn't on the A-4Ks in my ref photos. Also fashioned up some base plates for the tail antenna using some plasticard, sanded round corners into them and glued in place (should have done this earlier, but the end result is tidy and will just need to spot prime.) I will make up the antennas, and fit them at the end, so I don't knock them off.
Added the front intake sections and filled the minute gaps with dissolved putty, wiping away the excess about 10 mins later. It looks ugly at the time, because the lacq thinner melts the paint. But as long as you feather the removed/damaged primer by gently sanding and polishing before spot priming the area again, you shouldn't be able to tell.
I modified kit part P2 (the sprue containing parts for the humpback version), by shortening it and trimming down with a scalpel, glued it to a piece of plasticard, primed, trimmed plasticard to size and glued to the port side.
Drilled a hole in the tail spine for the aerial (kit part P5). I was originally just going to glue this on, but want to eliminate the possibility of the aerial pinging off some time in the future.
She is now finally ready for an initial coat of the green.
The next step once I have finished this initial layer of colour, is to lighten a few panels to make them look like they have been repainted, and add some post shading in a few areas before I mist on a few light coats of the base colour to finish it off. Paint chipping will be very minimal and there won't be any paint fading. Our Skyhawks were well looked after.