Continuing my work on the nose gun section.
Here are some of the bits that go to make up the guns.
I've painted up the 50's ready to take the replacement barrels.
The barrels are a bit too shiny and don't hold paint too well, nothing worse than paint chipping off and exposing shiny brass for all the world to see. After 10 minutes in some burnishing fluid they are nice and black and won't chip as easily.
Next up is are the magazine feeder belts, these are the standard Eduard 2 dimensional rounds, the carriers are a pain in the ass to fold but do give a nice semblance of the real thing when finished. Here are the two parts the .50 rounds and the flat feed trays prior to bending.
Not a particularly good photo of the finished item, they are quite small and they are only taken with my phone.
This is how they say things should look.
And this is how I made them look instead, it's almost the same lol
These photos were taken prior to fixing in to the nose section, I've since done this and the gaps around the edges have gone. All I need to do now is add the magazine straps and do some more weathering and I'll be calling this done. I'll post some more pics when I've finished.
Thanks for looking, comments always welcome.
Barrels are in, it was a bit of a struggle to get them all lined up, had to reglue some interior bits. Just a bit of touching up to do and I'll put the covers on so I can carry on. I won't glue them in place just use some blutac to hold them.
Thanks folks, the nice comments assist me with my tardy posting, the more feedback (good or bad) the more it motivates me to post updates
Ok I'm calling it done on the paintwork now all I need to do is make some spent cartridge backs that hang on the sides, but this is where I'm up to.
Yeah I'm seriously toying with "opening" this up somehow, there is going to be so much detail inside that it will be a real shame to hide it all. Open to suggestions on how I could "open it up" or whether I should or not.
Gary wrote: Yeah I'm seriously toying with "opening" this up somehow, there is going to be so much detail inside that it will be a real shame to hide it all. Open to suggestions on how I could "open it up" or whether I should or not.
I think opening it up with some mild battle damage would work. Do just one side and keep the other side clean. Just recently I saw a photo (which I can't find) online of a B-17 with a side panel that had been shot up (and weakened) and subsequently peeled off during the flight home. It was a perfect large window into the interior. Mitchell gunships were well known for low flying and getting shot at from low levels by the Japanese certainly and judging by this photo attached can get home with a gaping hole in the aft end...
Certainly worth thinking about, would introduce a fair bit more work, I'd have to thin the side walls, add ribbing etc.
It's taken me the last 3 evenings just to do the cockpit floor and main instrument panels lol
A whole bunch of stuff to cram in to such a small space, I'll mix and match from the Eduard and Profi Modeller sets for the cockpit. I'm going for an early J that's been retrofitted from an H so it still has single controls because of the additional electronics.
Onwards and upwards with the cockpit. Still a long way off, this seemed to have taken ages. I guess it's because I've picked and chosen between two aftermarket sets.
Now all the brass is in its off to the burnishing pit....
Sat in the burnishing fluid turning a nice dark colour.
Out of the blue (burnishing fluid that is)
I'm a bit of a tight ass so I like to recycle the burnishing fluid, over time as you use it, it develops a white sediment, if this gets on to your brass it won't etch so you have to make sure it's clean if you are going to reuse it.
Here I'm pouring the fluid back in to the bottle, I'm using a coffee filter to filter out the sediment
This how much sediment I got from burnishing a set of tracks.