Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 3 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Craig Sargent
  • Craig Sargent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 203
There is a 50th Anniversary of the Harrier build on Facebook, which I couldn't resist, so decied to start a new Harrier project. I will be turning the Hasegawa GR.9 into a TAV-8B. I'll be building it in-flight again using what I learned from the last Harrier build. Final scheme will be this one:

Kit I'm using is this one:

Conversion will use the Heritage Avaition Harrier T.10/12 forward fuselage, the Phase Hangar Resin Harrier update set and lots of scratch-building and modifications.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 F-18 Hornet prototype
Eduard 1/48 Morane Saulner Type I
Last Edit: by Craig Sargent.

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 3 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Some progress. The build dates are 28 Dec 2017 - 31 Mar 2018. I do need to get cracking as I only started on 6 Jan. Here is progress to date.

Resin nose conversion fitted. Lots of work to do on this, but basic assembly underway and starting to look like a Harrier.

Resin has bad shrinkage. This will be a nasty step to fix, and there is no panel line there on the real jet.

Fuselage and wings assembled. Closed up the speedbrake and gear bay, filled the chaff/flare dispenser opening, added some Evergreen square stock for the stand mount (this one will be flying straight and level), and started adding the strakes.

Other side of the mount. I removed the bays for the speedbrake, gear bay and LIDS dam to make fitting kit parts in closed position easier.
Attachments:

On The Bench

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 3 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 193
Looking good so far Craig

On the Bench :
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

Have a geez at my FlickR page
www.flickr.com/photos/65989117@N03/

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 3 months 4 days ago #4

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Some progress on this. Trying to keep the momentum going on this one.

Cockpit work - kit seats assembled and two pilots’ bodies from Tamiya F-16 glued in place ready to become naval aviators. Aux doors fitted to intakes and seams and sink marks cleaned up ready to fit. Two Aires Day Harrier instrument panels ready for fitment. Rear panel modified and awaiting detailing.

Eduard Brassin Zuni rocket pods assembled and test fitted to pylons. Started modifying the rocket heads. Fan face removed from intake, ready to start simulating spinning blades.

Tail vents filled and redrilled correctly. Hasegawa have them facing the wrong way. Scribed missing panel (just seen under leading edge of the tailplane). Tailplanes fitted.

Same for other side. Also filled the forward lower vent which is not present on the TAV-8B.

Intakes fitted after removing engine fan face so I can simulate in flight operation with spinning fan. Small wedge of white styrene added to lower intake bell to fill cut outs in Hasegawa piece. Upper wing has also been fitted.

On The Bench

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 3 months 4 days ago #5

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Todays update. Working on positioning of crew and Aires instrument panels in the cockpit and have added the pilots' heads as well. Finetuning the LERX fit. Started blending the intake into the rear of the forward fuselage with Tamiya grey putty. The LERX will not be fitted until after the intake and engine fan are finished.
Attachments:

On The Bench

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 3 months 4 days ago #6

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1446
Oh wow, looking GOOD. I got to the end and went, oh no... more updates more updates.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 3 months 3 days ago #7

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 208
That's a lot of resin cosmetic surgery going on Craig. Very cool.

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 2 months 4 weeks ago #8

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 922
Smashing Craig :) Looking forward to checking out the office when done.
Away appreciate the detail you guys get into these cockpit things ;) :whistle:

New Year, New Build: Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion 2 months 4 weeks ago #9

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Found this amazing air-to-air shot of a rocket armed TAV-8B in flight, with phosphorous rounds in the starboard pod andHE in the port one, so I'm even more motivated to get this one done now.

Not only that, but it appears that the pods are not always fully loaded for each hop, so I'm now contemplating drilling out one or two tubes on one of the pods for a dfferentiator.

Attachments:

On The Bench
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary