An hour or so of work on the starboard wing last night. The upper and lower sections are ready to be joined now. Will try to dip the canopy sections in Gauzy tonight so they can be masked this weekend. Getting to a stage where I think it will come together quite quickly. I can't wait to get some paint on this thing. I intend to mask up the fuselage insignia before I join the wings to the fuselage. Should make it a lot easier to get them in the correct position.
Managed a couple of decent sessions over the weekend.
I won't be using that AK Gauzy stuff on any clear parts that require vinyl masks. ****! The masks damaged the coating on a couple more clear pieces over the weekend. I will have to test it with regular masking tape before I commit it to anything else other than the bin
No bench time for a few days, then a couple of decent sessions over the weekend.
After my niece's 6th birthday party, I went home and masked up the canopy sections, inside and out. The Montex masks make it a breeze.
Rough test fit.
Primed and the interiors airbrushed with interior green.
Only primed the interior of the front section to make attaching, filling and clean up easier. Wasn't much filler needed, just a small amount of dissolved putty which was later cleaned up with a cotton bud moistened in lacq thinner.
The vents are supplied in the kit, but just solid tubes, so I drilled holes for brass pipe that I will attach at the end after all the paint work is done.
I also masked off the ball turret, door opening etc and assembled the bombay doors with their etch details. Not far away from getting into the painting of this bird.
Fitted the mid canopy section. It's not the greatest fit because the bulkhead seems to be a micro mm too tall, but the alignment along the top of the canopy looked good, so on went the glue. Was going to fill the gaps along the bottom, but after test fitting the forward sliding sections, it's apparent that the sills will cover this gap.
Glued the front cowling on. Was a bit of work to get the alignment correct.
The only thing stopping me from applying the primer before work this morning was the front end needing to be masked off. It's going to be all go this evening though.
Fading initially applied to the dark sea blue created by adding 10% XF-18 medium blue. I wanted to make it look more faded than it turned out, so flushed the airbrush and mixed up 80% thinner to 20% XF-18 and went over the dark blue again.
Roundels and fin flashes complete. I've removed the masks so I can gloss coat the fuselage to protrct it from damage when I attach the wings and horizontal stabilisers. I'll add the dark sea blue above the wing roots once these have been attached.