Been off work for past couple of days. Pretty much incapacitated on Tuesday, but yesterday I sat at the table for a couple of hours and worked on finishing the interior and painting the pilot. Figures are definitely not a strong point, but I think he's looking okay at the moment.
I also annealed the Trumpeter etch parts for the gunners seatbelts with a lighter, primed and airbrushed them with Tamiya Deck Tan and touched in the buckles with Mr Metal Aluminium. They just need some weathering and attaching to the seat.
Was pretty pissed off when I removed the Montex vinyl mask from the turret gunner's reinforced glass shield, after painting it, to damage the AK Interactive Gauzy glass coat . Going to have to do some more tests on some scrap before I dip the rest of the canopy parts in it. Might have to use the Alclad Aqua Gloss instead.
Turret masked and airbrushed. I sprayed a light coat of clear over the masks just to prevent any paint bleeding under them. It's a painless process applying these Montex masks. I decided against masking off the insides, as little can be seen of the interior framing once complete. I sprayed a coat of interior green first before the topcoat of sea blue. Still some fading to add and then I will gloss and weather. Once this is complete, I can close the fuselage up.
Misted a coat of highly diluted Tamiya Deck Tan over the turret to achieve a sun bleached effect, clear coated, applied a med grey panel line wash, removed excess, airbrushed a coat of Vallejo flat clear and removed masks
Awesome...cant wait for your next installment...liking this build a lot
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KitModellerNZ
Fit was pretty good, except for up the front end where the engine mounts were creating a gap of about 0.5mm. Easy to resolve as they're not required other than if you wished to open a panel or two to show the inside of that area.
Worked on the cowling last night. The kit part is a little bit s*** with mold lines etc, so I cleaned them up and rescribed the cowling ring because the detail is soft. Not perfect, but a lot better than it was.
Rescribing in progress
Tidied up and extra thin cement run into the panel lines
Today I airbrushed the interior of the cowling, and sprayed the area underneath the cowl flaps with intermediate blue. Tidied up the seam lines with filler. Below is the worst of them before filling, so no worries there.
Trumpeter overlooked adding a landing light lens inside the lower starboard wing, so going through the spares box, I found a lens from one of the missiles in my 1/32 Mig-29 kit and it fitted perfectly. I've drilled a hole in it, so I can add a bulb made from clear sprue, and airbrushed it with Mr. Metal Chrome Silver.
I've also pretty much finished putting together the starboard wing. A lot of slow going required as there are quite a few small areas of flash and everything needs careful test fitting. There's also some photo etch to go on the external areas of the wing fold area.
All of the clear parts for the lower section of the fuselage as well as the landing light have been dipped in AK's Gauzy.
There's also no detail for the leading edge light, so I bent a piece of plastic sheet, drilled a hole for the bulb which still needs to be added, attached to the inside of the wing and painted. Not perfect, but better than looking into a void.
Port wing assembled. The larger piece of etch keeps pinging off, so instead of using super glue again, I have used Micro Crystal Clear to secure it because it's pretty much PVA and that can be used for gluing etch. It's also more flexible than CA. I wiped the excess away with a damp cotton bud and tape it down.
The fit was pretty decent, except the wing tip where there is a step that I couldn't avoid. Glad the Trumpeter styrene is easy to sand.