Using a few pieces of aftermarket on this one; Montex Masks canopy and RNZAF insignia, Master Models .50 cal barrel, HGW seat harnesses (may also use the etch harnesses from the Tamiya Corsair that I didn't use), lead and copper wire. I'm going to look at fitting the Corsair's pilot figure too. Will use the head from the standing figure instead of the pilot fully masked up.
Will be finishing in the 3 tone scheme – luckily I mixed up extra paint when I was making the Corsair's colours.
After hundreds of the original TBF-1 models were built, the TBF-1C began production. The allotment of space for specialized internal and wing-mounted fuel tanks doubled the Avenger's range. By 1943, Grumman began to slowly phase out production of the Avenger to produce F6F Hellcat fighters, and the Eastern Aircraft Division of General Motors took over production, with these aircraft being designated TBM. The Eastern Aircraft plant was located in Ewing, NJ. Grumman delivered a TBF-1, held together with sheet metal screws, so that the automotive engineers could disassemble it, a part at a time, and redesign the aircraft for automotive style production. This aircraft was known as the "P-K Avenger" (P-K = Parker-Kalon, manufacturer of sheet metal screws). Starting in mid-1944, the TBM-3 began production (with a more powerful powerplant and wing hardpoints for drop tanks and rockets). The dash-3 was the most numerous of the Avengers (with about 4,600 produced). However, most of the Avengers in service were dash-1s until near the end of the war in 1945.
So basically a more powerful powerplant, you probably wouldn't see the difference as it could be internal and wing drop points for fuel tanks and rockets, nothing a scalpel and some filler can't fix.
As you were old chap it's not the end of the world.
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: KitModellerNZ
Airbrushed white on the reverse side if the acetate instruments and attached to reverse side of IP.
Drybrushed IP and painted details with Vallejo acrylics.
Added AK Gausy to the dial faces (still wet in this photo). Will probably add another coat tomorrow.
Also spent a good half hour airbrushing interior green onto interior parts and the insides of the fuselage. Airbrushed Mr Metal aluminium onto the cockpit floor and pilot's seat as a base for the chipping that will come later.
Additional drop of Gausy glass effect put into the instrument dials this morning. Man that stuff looks great!
Was having a look at the cowling situation last night. Thought maybe a simple case of filling the lower intake, but the profile is actually quite a bit different around the chin area. The cowling flap area is also different. I would probably be best to order the part for the TBF kit. Although I'm not overly bothered about it to be honest.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Continued painting up the radio/nav equipment last night. Will give them a dry brush with grey oils, maybe rub a couple of the edges with graphite and pick out the details next. I'm happy just to keep this ticking over with whatever time I can spare in the evenings.
I'm finding it quite strange how aside from the Eduard etch sets, there really isn't much in the way of aftermarket for the Trump Avenger kits. No resin wheels to replace the rubber in the kit, exhausts to replace the poor kit ones, or cockpit sets to replace the rather basic cockpit, especially when so much of it is in view through all that glazing.
A fair amount achieved this weekend considering I spent the majority of it prepping and painting my bathroom ceiling.
Cockpit coming together nicely. I applied a base coat of Mr Metal aluminium followed by a clear coat, AK Worn Effects and then top coat of interior green which was then moistened and scrubbed with a brush (same as haispray method), then sealed with a clear coat before applying the oil wash;
Bomb bay built, painted and highlightd with a mix of 60% interior green + 40% flat yellow (photo prior to gloss coat);
Difference between elements before raw umber oil wash (right) and after (left);
Will apply the wash to the bomb bay tomorrow night.
Also finished applying wash to other interior elements, painted up the oxygen bottles and test fitted the Tamiya pilot. I'm going to need to shorted his legs by a couple of mm, but other than that he should fit nicely.
Didn't get home from work till 11pm on Tuesday night, so made up for it last night by applying and manipulating the wash to the interior of the bomb bay. I've decided that I will display it with the torpedo in there.
Spent a decent amount of time on Saturday evening tidying up, partially assembling and painting the ball turret. Took a break yesterday, but will be back into it this evening with more work on the ball turret.