A few solid hours spent working on the engine. Lots of priming and airbrushing parts. I have used Mr Color aluminium instead of the water based Vallejo that I've been using recently. Going to add some washes to bring out the details on the cooling fins.
Exhausts painted in a mix of 70% XF-64 & 30% XF-69 then highlights added with XF-64. Didn't want to give the pipes too much of a rusty appearance. They just have a nice patina. Carbon deposits airbrushed around exhausts with XF-69.
Other tedious task of joining the two parts that make up each of these exhausts that come out of the rear cylinder bank.
Dirtying up the firewall a little (not that it will be very visible), using a brush loaded with AK Interactive enamel washes and flicking onto the part by flicking brush against a sprue offcut. Will blend a little once the enamels are dry.
Been working on the front end today. Just finished an hour or so of applying chipping to these engine covers using XF-4 yellow green applied with a 00 brush. Will add a few darker chips tomortoe before adding a wash and a bit of paint flicking as I did with the engine.
Went to do some more weathering on the insides of the engine covers using Tamiya deck tan applied with sponge. A lot of swearing followed due to a small piece of the sponge not having enough excess paint removed. Set these pieces aside. I think I might sand them back and redo.
Got out some AK Interactive wash and applied to part of the front ring and the stuff was too thick (I've noticed the AK washes seem to have a shelf life). More swearing as well as throwing the brush still loaded with product at the dining room window in disgust.
Will sit down at the bench tonight and take a few deep breaths before I do anything.
Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Italeri Western Star FINISHED
1/1 Micro Ace M7 Bayonet (round two)
1/24 Panel shop Dio
GW Space marine land speeder
1/72 Airfix RAF rescue launch (All at sea group build)
Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1a Corsair
2 weeks 6 days ago #107
Sat down at the table and looked at the cowl covers and decided "meh, I'll just use the ultra fine sanding pads to remove some of the rough texture". Did that and then mixed up a batch of brown oil paint and applied it over all.
File Name: File Size: 0 KB
Waited for it to dry and removed excess;
Will carefully add the final touches and then a flat coat.
Hit the engine covers and the engine parts with a coat of X-22 to prepare them for the next round of weathering. Hopefully my package of lead wire and metal pipes arrive from BNA before the weekend, so I can continue with assembly.
I started work on the undercarriage legs the other night, so I can continue with those in the mean time... other wise I may be forced to start on the Spitfire or the Avenger
I'm loving this Corsair engine build up. Can hardly wait to see it mounted in th eairframe. I miss working on piston engined stuff, and want to get my F-14 off the bench (completed of course) so I can do more of the things happening in this Corsair topic, (even in a smaller scale if need be!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: KitModellerNZ
The mojo is firing on all cylinders at the moment – I've been considering making a start on the Spitfire, Mossie or Avenger as a companion build. Thinking ahead to purchasing a Tamiya 1/32 F-15 or F-4E too.