Undersides of wings complete. Used a cotton but moistened in white spirits to manipulate the wash further. I've also added chipping to the leading edges using Mr Metal aluminium applied with a torn piece of sponge.
Intermediate blue areas of the fuselage given the Ammo Pacific Dust PLW treatment. Happy with the way that's looking.
Tried the Dark Sea Blue PLW from the same series on the dark blue areas and saw immediately that it wasn't going to offer anything, so switched to the Deep Grey PLW from their US Navy Jets set and looks better, but still not overly happy, so will try the Medium Grey PLW on the dark blue areas tomorrow night. I think that will look better. I just think that the Pacific Dust PLW all over may be too much, because it looked terrible over the blue in the roundels.
Thanks guys, glad you're enjoying this build as much as I am.
Looking back, I'm glad I didn't lay down a coat of primer. I reckon most of those fine rivets would have disappeared. I haven't had any issues with wearing through the paint, even though there has been a lot of scrubbing going on.
Still quite a lot of weathering to go – the exhaust, fuel and cordite stains as well as the watercolour pencils. In no rush though.
Applied some more washes, applied the 77 decals on the engine covers and Donald on the fuselage.
Also changed the demarcation on the rear end by filling in the fillet beneath the rudder and the base of the rudder with intermediate blue. I originally had the sea blue running up to the base of the rudder and onto the bottom of the rudder to look like overspray.
Panel washes completed. Also painted and started weathering the excellent Barracuda Studio wheels. Have dusted them up with a mix of 1 part Tamiya Buff to 5 parts thinner. Horizontal stabilisers and elevators attached. Have started adding stains. Just the canon ejector chutes so far.
Look closely and you can see my effect for perished rubber on the sidewall by the rim;
I decided to have a night away from the bench last night and after arriving home later than planned this evening, I decided to start dirtying up the undersides. I planned to use AK Interactive's Streaking Grime and Winter Streaking Grime. First I tested my technique on the single piece undercarriage doors that I used to mask the gear bays. These had been painted and glossed whilst they were attached to the model, so they were perfect to hone the skills on. I think I last used this technique on the 1/32 Phantom and I didn't want to risk stuffing up all of this work.
After applying with a fine tip brush, the products are allowed to dry for 30 - 40 minutes.
Then a flat brush moistened in white spirits, and the excess wiped off on a paper towel, was used to manipulate the wash, initially from the tail end towards the front. If you do it in the direction of airflow to start with, you end up dragging all of the product towards the tail end and it looks weird. Keep working the product until you're happy and re moisten the brush as required. After a while you can also work it in the direction of airflow. I didn't want it as dirty up the middle as it is towards the outer edge, so I also used a tissue to rub some of the staining away. This is really just the base layer of the weathering. A few fresh streaks of the wash will be added and there's still the exhaust staining to come.
It's one of those kits that you could just keep going and going on. I airbrushed even the smallest details such as the coloured nav lights. Had an issue with the Barracuda wheels when it came to gluing them on. The tolerances are so tight on these, that once you add a layer of paint, they just don't want to fit. I ended up with super glue being forced out onto the tyres in a couple of places. I saved them by spraying another coat of flat on them and now can't see the difference.
I will definitely be getting another one for the stash when a good deal comes up.