Some modeling buddies are grabbing out the oldest kits in our stash for what we are calling our Ancient kits buddy build.
My build is the late '70s tooling of the 190A. I think this is the second boxing from the early '80s.
Hase calls it the A6-A8 and it does have features for all of them, at the same time. I kit of its time them.
The plastic does stink every time I open the box, it seems to by very flexible a bit more like vinyl.
Being a tad old I decided on picking up some bits to polish the proverbial turd
I am also building a Pfalz but I am off to a slow start on the 190 as the MiG-21 ran over. So this will have some priority.
This should be neat build - I quite like old kits.
I don't know if you're 'into' accuracy but I think the general consensus now days is that the Schlangenschwarm Fw190s had black number codes with red outlines, not red numbers as Eagle Decals have done.
Airfix have it right - apparently.
Gee, is it worth spending that amount in aftermarket to dress up a kit like that? Out of the box the kit is closest to an 190A-6.
it's funny, I have had Hasegawa's old 1-32 Bf-109E sitting in my stash for the last 30 years and I've been threatening to build it just for the sake of it, sanding it all down, re-scribing panel lines, rebuilding various inaccuracies on the kit etc just to see what can be done with it. One of these days when I have more time to spare I guess.
Sense, yes it shows very little common and fiscally none.
I bought the kit 20 years ago, as a school boy from toyworld. The Verlindin came from trade me ten years ago. Twenty dollars a piece. The rest of the stuff is more recent. The barrels and belts courtesy of Garys group buy a year or three back.
Actually what really shows my illness is I could probably name each item in my stash where it came from, how much it cost and why I believed it was needed. Most people I know just use a spreadsheet. I may not be alone there though.
It should be fun though.
Due to the average fit of the kit and resin I may end up mocking up the fuselage due to the absence of any useful location points. Once I am happy then breaking it down for some paint and glue.
I have been pottering away. Most of the cockpit is done, seat belt and stick still to be done. I will check the fit through the cockpit opening but I think I would like to fit the finished seat and stick much closer to completion.
Airscale provided the decals for stencils and the gauges behind the verlinden etch panels
The tail wheel is supposed to be fitted before fuselage halves are joined but that is a bit too great of an invitation to break it off.
I made a slight modification to the strut by carving off the upper ring so it could be slid in later.
The V groove the strut fits into is a little rough so I carved it out to carry a piece of styrene tube. (Thanks to Modelair in Dominion Rd, who carry basically the entire Evergreen range in stock)
Very shortly after
So far so good. But I wanted to sort out the tail wheel, Brassin to the rescue.
The resin set is made for a later kit so has no yoke for the wheel, hacked something together but it is not so pretty. The hole I drilled for the axle was too large. I oversight I quickly regretted. It took two lengths of slide fit brass tube to sleeve my massively oversized hole down.
After all that I had only equalized my own goal.
Itwas time to make a yoke for the tail wheel
Thanks guys, yes it's good to be back at the work bench,
Carrying on with the work I had done before I started posting again, here is the tail wheel assembled.
It has a wheel yoke made from the Eduard 1/48 Mig-21front wheel. On that I used the Brassin wheel set so the kit parts left over. It was two pieces so a bit of farting around to trim the yoke so it looks ok. It is not really correct but gives the impression I was after.
Which pretty much brings me up to date.
A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about the seat harnesses.
It is the RB Productions piece, paper and stainless etch. I have not got a picture yet but it is quite nice to put together. PVA works well.
Lap belts are nearly done, look cook. Just need patience. 20 pieces for the lap belts.
I like building these older kits too....I am doing a Revell 1/32 Typhoon for the RAF 100 year GB..Those RB belts, are they fabric or photoetch? I've never used them. They look great. Good effort with that tailwheel.
The belts are PE buckles and a heavy paper for the belt.
They work quite well. I used PVA type wood glue on the paper and micro Krystal klear on the etch to seat. They form to the seat well if you wet them.
They took me a few evenings to do but I only get an hour or two a couple of times a week so that may not be a good measure of complexity.
I can tell much of what I built is more recent kits. Kits where with a little care and patience you can get a good result.
This is from a previous generation entirely my build is rapidly becoming a 4 footer. A real modeller could do a good job but I keep looking at things and wondering how to approach it.
What I have done with the cockpit coaming was to cut off the kit pieces and glue on the Verlinden resin but the resin was wider and with a sharper camber. Soooo. Unintentionally I have stuck it on a fraction too far forward. Rats.
Not wanting to break it off I will trim down the machine gun cowl to hide most of the error.
Made up this from clastic card and the Verlinden guns. I found the brass to be a pain to file down to fit into the spce between the tapered fuselage halves so just went with plastic. There are a couple of resin parts to fit on it at this stage not shown in the pics.
Due to the taper you need to fit the rear end into the fwd section and slide it back, like so
and with the cover sitting in place
I wonder if the barrels may be too long, but I do not fance trying to shorten and pin them.
Since these pics I have itted the 20mm barrels through the wing and landing gear wells and started carving the wing out so it will fit into the fuselarge.