These are nervous times for me. I've only used photo etch a few times. My biggest effort so far is the cockpit of a 1/48 F-4U Corsair way, way back. The kit details are already very nice, so it was hard to start scraping them off.
Did some more work on the cockpit last night and sprayed some primer. Was looking at some of those etched levers and wondering if I need to get a magnifying visor before I tackle those. Also wondering whether to bother with using the whole set or not.
Preshaded the cockpit with German grey and then built up the IJN green in heavily thinned coats. Some detail painting and then a coat of clear. Have decided against using the etch throttle quadrant because I think the levers will look too 2 dimensional. Next the cockpit will receive a wash, chipping with pencils, photoetch IP, flat coat, dry brushing and pigments followed by the minute etch parts. I have just bought a magnifying visor to help with that side of things.
Thanks Grover. That PE is pre-painted and has self adhesive backing. It's a bit fiddly especially when the part wants to stick to the tweezers instead of the kit. Only thing I don't like about the pre-painted etch is trying to colour match it for the rest of the cockpit. I painted the cockpit in Tamiya XF-71 which isn't a perfect match, but it doesn't look too bad.
Before walking the pooch this morning, I added another layer of wash over the pilot's seat and this toned down the silver nicely. Will do that to the rest of the cockpit tonight, apply some AK Interactive Kursk wash and pigments. Looking forward to seeing the results once the flat coat is on.
Looks good though that harness. Is that just random bending?
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Lots of bending and lots of swearing. Give me a set of the fabric harnesses any day. lol
I gave the harness a wash with AK Interactive's dark brown wash to give it that well used look.
Just finished adding most of the tiny, almost microscopic levers from the etch set to the consoles. No photos of that right now because my phone is on the charger. Just a coat of flat on the port side and I'll be assembling the cockpit. Probably get the Fw-190 out after that and finish its weathering.
I've just finished cleaning up and priming the engine parts. The engine on this kit really is a piece of art. It's a pity most of it won't be seen once the cowling is on. I'll post some pics once I get some paint on it.
I glued the plugs in that blank off the cowling guns. The inserts needed a fair amount of sanding and scraping down. I'll use some filler and sand these areas smooth. I'm going to re-rivet the cowling because the detail is so shallow on this part.
Got home at 11.30pm last night and decided it would be the perfect time to do some airbrushing. Sprayed all of the engine parts. Will finish detail painting of that and add some washes. Because the engine is black (I used Nato black), I will give it a wash with AK Interactive's Kursk wash. I sprayed the exhausts red brown and am going to rust them up slightly with some pigments.