More work airbrushing some heat stains with Alclad and some Tamiya Smoke on the metal tonight. Flag the idea of using clear blue, I'm liking it how it is now. Will spray a little highly diluted brown on those burnt areas though.
I use clear blue & amber quite often around the 'heat stressed' areas, the F-100 & F-101 are great canvasses for these effects. You've done a great job on this F-4 matey, you really should turn this in to an magazine article.
Funny you should mention that Ian. I have been thinking over the past couple of days about documenting my builds into some type of book/digital format. Just something I could keep for my own reference and share with anyone who might be interested. I used to write a small boat and scuba diving column for a fishing magazine for almost 10 years (just something I did on the side). The magazine ended up folding a couple of years back and I haven't done any writing since. Lately I've been missing writing.
Before work this morning I unmasked the horizontal stabilisers and brushed some Klear onto all of these parts. Was worried it would kill the look of the metallics, but it's still looking great. Will add the decals and add some more discolouration and then apply a few washes before I give it a coat of Alclad semi gloss clear to seal it all in.
Thanks guys! Without the inspiration from this place, I doubt I would have got this far on the build. I don't think I've ever spent this much time on a single kit without getting completely bored with it.
Grant, you should definitely build one of these. Amazing bang for buck. I would love to build a Vietnam era F-4 in the SEA camo scheme some time in the future.
It just keeps getting better and better. I'm really blown away by your detailing.
I'd love to do a 1/48 scale phantom in a SEA camo scheme as well. I've got the kit, just need to work on the skill a bit more.
Gave some of the smaller parts that still need to be attached some attention last night. Aiirbrushed the intake covers red. Will paint a few chips on these, add a wash and flat coat to finish them off. Planning on adding a few streaks and some subtle dirt stains on the undersides before clear coating. Think I'll use Alclad semi flat. Also have a couple of pilot's items I'm making to add to the cockpit.
May want to check your refs before 'chipping' the intake covers... Not sure that they were metal, I think they were a thick plastic (appropriate ), seem to remember the RAF ones we could pick-up with one hand.
Have started dirtying up the undersides with some AK Interactive streaking grime streaked back with a wide brush moistened slightly with white spirit. I rubbed back some areas further with a dry cotton bud. Happy with the look of this first layer, so have sealed with a coat of future in prep for the next layer of streaking. Will be keeping this subtle.