The resin update set is both useful and easy to add, so I retrofitted it to last finished Hasegawa 1/48 AV-8B as well (intake temperature probes and forward reaction nozzle under the nose). I may need to fit them to the Monogram kit I converted now as well.
Meanwhile, I finally have the intakes painted on the main subject model, 'moving' fan blades glued in place, and the fuselage closed up. Just cleaning up all of the outstanding seams and then I'll add the last of the smaller parts, and finish the pilot and cockpit, prior to painting the model.
Making good progress on this now. Here are some quick and dirty pics from the phone camera.
Upper deck in place, added new vent as kit one too shallow and no opening, removed the grill and added some fine mesh, fitted the Master NATO refuelling probe, fitted the frog's eyes, and scribed the panel lines for better definition.
Started work on the missing detail in the cockpit. This is one area Aires screwed up on their 1/48 cockpit. It's a work of fiction, as opposed to the old Black Box cockpit which is spot on. Surprisingly, Aires got it right in their 1/32 AV-8B cockpit set. Intakes are painted and finished and so have added some foam inside to protect from sanding dust and overspray whne painting commences.
Revised layout of the Furball photo-etch upper chaff/flare dispensers, and initial work on a correct GPS antenna.
Most of the main assembly work is done on the model now and it's down to adding small detail bits before I start some paint. In the meantime, I have assembled the drop tanks and tidied them up, and added all of the missing plumbing and wiring connectors as well as scribing a few missing panels.
Rear bulkhead detail pretty much finished and model is now ready to start some painting. Not getting too carried away as only have 2 weeks left to finish this model. Represented most of the detail only on the upper part of the bulkhead as the lower part will be hidden by the seat and the pilot.
Oxygen hose added from 2 pieces of copper wire, smaller diameter wrapped around larger to give corrugated shape. Still detail to add to pilot before painting starts on him, including the comms lead wrapped around the oxygen hose.
The wing vortex generators as they are moulded were bugging me. They are too thick and too short. I removed them all and then realised I had nothing to replace them with and so started experimenting, trying to get a consistent size and shape. It eluded me until this morning, where with a bit of thought, some brass shim, couple of very basic home-made jigs (3 pieces of styrene sheet) and a photoetch folding tool, a consistent, easy, reproduceable method. Should be done in no time.
Last thing to do and then I can start painting finally.
The pilot is finally ready for some paint. Managed to add the comms lead to the oxygen mask/hose, and added some detail with Millput.
Used the Milliput to define the survival vest, add some more folds to the flight suit, and added the collar of the flight suit over the life preserver. I'll let that harden off, then blend it a little more before painting starts.
Pilot is painted and ready to add to the model. Tried to keep the highlights and shadows subtle on this, but still have them present. Ignored the leg area as most of it will be hidden by the instrument panel. Not 100% happy, but looks okay in the model.
Kit was finished and made it to the Nationals, but was pretty manic so not had time to post any images. There were a few things I ran out of time to do and wasn't happy with the model as it was entered in the competition, so have been doing some clean-up and a few minor repairs. Will post some more pics soon.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.