Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk I - Air Vice Marshall Keith Park

1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk I - Air Vice Marshall Keith Park 5 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Terry
  • Terry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 260
I needed a break from my current builds and to finish something and just so happened to pick up the 1/72 Arma Hobby "basic kit" (having read good things) for £9 + P&P along with some canopy masks a few weeks back. It looked so lovely in the box I cracked into it, to do my favourite Hurricane subject: Air Vice Marshal Keith Parks's personal Hurricane he flew to embattled airfields to inspire his hard-pressed pilots throughout the period of the Battle of Britain.

Armed with Wally and Calum's excellent topics posted here on KM on Sir Keith's Hurricane I've run with markings using a combination of kit decals and aftermarket codes and serials. I hand painted the Air Vice Marshal pennant, as well as Cerberus to the starboard cockpit side.

Paint was Mr Color straight to bare plastic. (no pre-shading) and then post shaded the model with water colour pencils using them both wet and dry. Sealed in a coat of Mr Color UV cut matt clear. Exhaust stains (dark) and some oil stains were done with oil paints, and the exhaust stains finished with Tamiya weathering master pastels (?). Another peculiar turn for me was no pin washes were used to the panel lines with just a couple of exceptions where I felt grime/oil etc might accumulate (around the nose area generally) The figure is a Revell RAF pilot with his Mae West jacket and papers he was holding removed. The figure was then adapted with some milliput to make his Sidcot suit and fix up his glove. All painted in Vallejo acrylic. Base is a recycled piece of wood from an old desk I demolished recently, cut to shape with rail way grass mat and coloured sawdust added for texture.

I can report the kit is actually very nice to build and didn't need any filler. For a new manufacturer that is quite an achievement. I found with careful study and test fit of the parts all that was needed is subtle material removal (usually nothing more than flash or a stroppy mould seam) to get everything to fit well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Terry.

1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Mk I 5 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Gary
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 943
Really nice build and display mate, the figure is nicely painted but the flight suit looks a bit iffy, looks a bit Luftwafferie or IJN................. :D
Still you've done a lovely job of painting it, especially given the size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Mk I 5 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 453
Really nice work Terry, I like that a lot.

Cheers
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry

On the bench:
Revell 1-72 Hunter FGA.9
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary