Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: RF4B Phantom Jet

RF4B Phantom Jet 5 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Whiterook
  • Whiterook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
This is one I am particularly fond of, because it represented an elevation in skill that I palpably felt. I am my own worst, and harshest critic so, this is actually saying a lot from me that I felt, I knocked this one out of the park! You were VERY rarely hear me say something like that :) It was my first experience really trying to do a wash. I still haven't figure out how to do panel lines, like I see from so many, but I'll get there at some point.

Anyway, I built this kit starting back in January 2010 as a special project, for a friend at work who I knew was going to retire soon. I spent a good part of the time on project, searching for just the right version of the USMC RF 4B Phantom. I finally found just the right one for my purpose at from EA Hobby out of New York. It's a $60 kit, which I got for $33.25 (with shipping, $39.15). A good price, for sure!

The story: He was a real nice guy, who'd started as a security guard at our building and worked his way eventually to the department I was working in back then. He flew this particular bird, as a U.S. Marine in 'Nam, and he was a GIB (Guy In Back) in an RF-4B (and also J, and N's) Phantom II. His squadron he flew in was a photo recce unit off of the USS Coral Sea.

I decided I wanted to build his RF-4B for him…..also a token of my thanks for good laughs, kind words, and of course, his service to our country. So, I began by grilling him covertly, seeking out stories of his favorite times, ship, bird, saying I was working on a wargame design (which I did back then, as well as today) and could use some of his advice on flight maneuvers....that sort of thing. I narrowed down the RF-4B Phantom II as his favorite, and then his squadron he flew in that bird. Did some quick research and found a picture online, which I emailed him with a "Look familiar?" He came back with.... that was his exact birdie! ...though that picture I sent him was when the bird was about to be put to pasture. I found the kit and the after-market decals of his squadron, which saved a lot of time from hand painting it custom. To be honest, I was shooting for a little less price-wise, but he deserved a good build for his service in the Corps!

I figured out the markings that needed to go on the bird, and bought a set of Eagle Strike RF-4B/RF-4C Phantom II "Eyes in the Sky" Pt II #48198 decals from Squadron. I just needed to hold back on ordering them for a little until my bankbook caught up with my inspiration!

I also looked at a Martin Baker Mk H7 Ejection Seat set that could make it pop a little more....but had decided to wait to see what Hasewaga put in there first. I was looking at a Verlinden set also, but it has seats that were reviewed as being "in maintenance mode". Nope! Also looked a Quickboost Ejection Seat set, and was swayed with these as well, but the Martin Baker set looked awesome.

I did look at other scales, as well. The 1:32 scale birds were MAGNIFICENT......but way out of my cost range for the project, at over $100 USD each. Tamiya seems to be the big seller in that scale. 1:72 had an awesome range, but for one, I worried they'd be too small for what I want to produce; and I also couldn't find his RF-4B bird, and would have had to either try and find decals for his squadron, or hand paint them. I went with the 1/48 in the end, as it had a great, dynamic visual appeal, so it probably worked out that Karma decided long before I made my decision! I'm happy with it, too!!! I had heard good words on Hasegawa, too.....though it was the first time I built that line.

Up to that point, it had probably been somewhere near 35 years since I did a modern bird, so it was to be a nice circle ‘round!

....In the future, I'll have to try the Future acrylic dip!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RF4B Phantom Jet 5 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Some more pics with close-up's...

RF4B Phantom Jet 5 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
And the last few....

Thanks for checking her out!!!

RF4B Phantom Jet 5 months 2 weeks ago #4

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The guy at left holding his new model is my friend, Mike....taken the day I presented it to him at work. He was shaking so much looking at it at first, I was terrified he was going to drop her :)

Last Edit: by Whiterook.

RF4B Phantom Jet 5 months 2 weeks ago #5

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 925
Not sure if you know but I have created an image hosting solution which works the same as Photobucket, the benefit is it'll be here as long as KM is. So feel free to upload your images (see the link on the top menu) it's very easy to use and you don't have to resize your images. Just drag and drop them in to an album and share them. Try to keep it to pictures of models, you can then get the link codes and post them anywhere you like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whiterook

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

RF4B Phantom Jet 5 months 2 weeks ago #6

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1676
I remember this and the lightning!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

RF4B Phantom Jet 5 months 2 weeks ago #7

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
Attachments:

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

RF4B Phantom Jet 5 months 2 weeks ago #8

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Gary wrote: Not sure if you know but I have created an image hosting solution which works the same as Photobucket, the benefit is it'll be here as long as KM is. So feel free to upload your images (see the link on the top menu) it's very easy to use and you don't have to resize your images. Just drag and drop them in to an album and share them. Try to keep it to pictures of models, you can then get the link codes and post them anywhere you like.

WOW...actually, I didn't know that. Thanks for the head's up! I'll definitely take a look at it. I was using Postimages.org, which is what ModelersSocialClub uses for all there images (I use to frequent them back in the day). That's a great bene you provide here for your members.

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary