• RossMack
  • RossMack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
  • Thank you received: 55
Whew.
The past 14mths were another marathon.

The weight lifting from my shoulders was almost physical, on Friday morning, when I set the canopy in place.

Once sat on her wheels, though, I sat back and looked with fresh eyes on the elegant lines of the old girl.

Practically a new kit, since nearly every square centimeter has been altered to a lesser or greater degree.
Must say, the 10mm extension to the booms and larger fin/rudder profile certainly improves the sit.

I'll post details later.
Meanwhile, waiting on the Mk 5/8 for next commission. Should be a whole lot less s/b on that one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
r-mcarthur.wix.com/717squadron# !
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Testors 1/72 Harrier, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #2

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 440
So much hard work went in to this, one to be very proud of.

Ian.

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #3

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 238
:woohoo: very good end result Ross

Rob
Favorite quote: "Terry" No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car "on hold"
1/24 Fujimi Nissan 180SX "FINISHED"

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #4

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1205

IAN wrote: So much hard work went in to this, one to be very proud of.

Ian.

I reckon. Awesome result.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #5

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1703
That's an amazing build. You actually pulled it off. Looks terrific!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #6

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
Cheers, chaps!

Quite a trip, huh, Bishop? I'm about as surprised as you are, as an FYI.
No uncontrolled-flight-into-terrain, no paint disaster, no FUBAR'd vac canopy and no forgotten cockpit detail.

By Jove, I'm starting to believe this kit-building lark is starting to look like fun.

Regards

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Testors 1/72 Harrier, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #7

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1703
:lol: From one kit destroyer/ rebuilder to another, the big trouble is you'll never be able to build something "out of the box", again. Just doesn't satisfy after a successful journey like this.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #8

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
Durn tootin', Bishop.
:)
I haven't looked at a kit as potentially OOB since the Tamiya 1:48 F4U-1.
SOP is not if I do s/bld but how much.

Anyhoos, here's some light reading, for the curious among you.

So, for all you who weren’t following at home, let’s review the depot-level list.

1. The biggest, obvious FUBAR is the dihedral, which is prominently anhedral. The kit designer must’ve popped an LSD tab that day. Put the plan form against any general arrangement drawing, as well, and you see the mainplanes are too far aft.
I pulled the wings forward about 5mm, and fixed the dihedral as a matter of course.

2. Then there’s the nose profile, both in plan and profile. In plan view the nose is blunt and rounded. I stretched the nose 4mm (or so) with laminated black/white styrene and filed/sanded 1-1.5mm off the sides .

3. The NLG bay is too wide, and too short. Styrene strip reduced the width, extended by 3mm and modified the doors while I was at it. Particularly, the pressed inner door stiffener panel.

4. NLG leg. Instructions screwed the pooch by telling you to mount the fork near-horizontal. The simple fix is drill-and-pin to secure the fork nearer the truer 40deg angle.

5. Cannon ports are small and too far aft. Gentle use of drill bits and rat-tail file opened the troughs. A jeweller’s square file also opened the shell ejection ports.

6. Intake trunks are molded with square edges. dH made nice, round fillets. Because, you know, aerodynamics. Whilst puttying and sanding, I then thought of cutting the aperture that ducts air to the engine. Had to s/b new intake vanes.

7. The kit’s fin profile is too short and small. I cut them from the booms and that left a nice slot. This gave a good datum for the new fins, cut from styrene, and could fit into the booms at true vertical. I cut the ends from the tailplane then added and contoured wider replacements, to fir better the shape on plan form.
The booms needed extending by 10mm, to align with the scale side-view. I slotted the front ends and added a tab. The tab mounted in a slot I carefully aligned to vertical and cut into the boom ends extending out of the wing.

8 The MLG bays benefitted from stringers on the bay roof, then some inspection holes. Cut the flaps out and started the flap inner structure, while wings were apart. Once I’d joined the wings I could then finish the flap recess.

9 Separated the exhaust pipe from its mount. Scratch-built a rear turbine and cone into the pipe. Replaced the mounting face with styrene cemented inside the rear fuselage. With the halves mounted I could file the fuselage aperture edge thin and circular. Once the paint was done I fitted the new exhaust can.

10 Complete s/b cockpit. Cut off and turned the cylinder part on the turtledeck 90deg. (I have no clue what the designer was thinking, mounting it across.) Added plumbing and rear frame.
The instrument panel looked better after mods to the raised centre. I filed it to a third the original thickness, drilled instrument faces closer to the reference pics. Laid this new IP against white styrene and shot it with black paint. The black discs then gave me data –on which to mount dial decals, punched from spare IP decals.
Put appropriate gizmology and wiring on the coaming, and modified the HUDs. Beginning mods at the NLG bay roof I fitted the cockpit with new pedestals, levers and rear wall.

The kit canopy, a one-piece affair thick as coke-bottle glass, was never part of the plan. Mounted it on a plaster of Paris plug and shot a few vacuum-formed copies, in 0.30mm Acetate, and separated into the three pieces. Added styrene framing on all three. The detail in the hood was a head-scratcher. Styrene thin enough didn’t hold up to drilling and sanding, so I did most in 0.006”ali litho. (I’d be lost without it.)
Mounting the fore and aft canopies was easy, with styrene frames to secure to the ‘frame. I drilled and added wire pins to the rear frame of the hood, CA’d into holes along the hinge line on the fixed rear. Clean and invisible.

11 Scribed corrected lines front-to-back. Paid particular attention to the nose bay outline and fastener covers, then engine access panels upper and lower, and their fastener covers. Certainly improves the look, under aluminium dope.
Panel line wash was black/grey artist’s acrylics. Even with a clear coat I couldn’t scrub off all the wash residue. And I always cut it with dish soap to reduce adhesion. Had to shoot more Tamiya TS-12 along some panel lines, to remove blemishes.

On the bench:

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #9

• Maarten
  • Thank you received: 729
Bloody nice!

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #10

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 243
Nice finished result. All that work though would be better seen with a few minor adjustments to the camera settings.

You could use some better light to bring out the clarity and detail. Setting the white balance also helps to improve images immensely. I had a play with the image, but due to the low lighting, the image quality was hard to clean up.This was about as good as I could get it.

Attachments:

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A JAWS conversion
Last Edit: by Craig Sargent.

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #11

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 103
Beautiful work Ross, and what a great result. And Craig’s handy-dandy photo editing photo editing really makes it pop.
Did I read correctly that you even found some of the elusive “fun” in the build? Hold onto that and ride it for all it’s worth!
Cheers
Tania

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #12

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
Appreciate the 'comments.

Tania, when I'm 'in surgery' I'm in my happy place. :)
The hours of watching putty or paint dry, or running a scriber and rivetter wheel up Monday and down Sunday isn't a hardship. I'm thinking of the end result under paint and decals.

Blessings to you, Craig.
Amazing job on the editing.
Yes, the lighting could have been better. I snapped the pics and boxed her up for transport. Only then did I sit down to edit pics and was a little aggro over the lighting .
Thanks for the motivation. I'll do some tweaking.

The finish and sit has me all enthusiastic to have one for my shelf now.
And I know someone with a kit . . .

Regards

On the bench:

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 11 months ago #13

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 277

Bishop wrote: :lol: From one kit destroyer/ rebuilder to another, the big trouble is you'll never be able to build something "out of the box", again. Just doesn't satisfy after a successful journey like this.

So true, I built that 1/350 dresden completely OOB and it was almost physically painful. I'm glad I did it but never again I think.

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 9 months ago #14

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
Late in arrival, chaps and chapettes, the photo-editing suite:

Good news is, I now have the CA Vampire FB. 5 in my hot, sweaty hands.

Goody-goody-goody-goody!

On the bench:

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 9 months ago #15

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1205
Really nice stuff Ross. It looks fantastic :)

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

1:48 Hobby Craft Vampire T.11 1 year 9 months ago #16

• Maarten
  • Thank you received: 729
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RossMack

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary