TOPIC: Artograph Spray Booth for sale

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #1

• Terry
  • Terry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 259
Greetings folks,

I've got an American made Artograph 1520 spray booth I'm selling and before relisting it on Tardme thought it would be better to offer it to someone on KiwiModeller first.

I bought it new in NZ from Gordon Harris art supplies about decade and half ago. It has been solely used for airbrushing model kits. I replaced the motor this year with a brand new one and it runs like new. Also included is a pack of three mid and carbon filters and a near new roll of pre filter material (50 yards to a roll). The mid filter and carbon filter currently in the booth have had some light use. The benefit of the carbon filter is it helps trap odour which means if you're unable to duct to outside you have something to keep the peace instead of polluting the house and your other half! The value of the replacement filters is currently about $90 NZD new not including shipping from the USA. The 1520H booth alone (updated version of the 1520) sells for $765 new from Gordon Harris. Filters I've discovered can be bought locally for less money btw.

I've also made an adapter to fit to the back of the booth that allows a flexible dryer duct to be connected to it (dryer duct not included) to exhaust it out a window or to an external wall duct outlet if you so choose. It has a 38 x 51 cm work surface; accommodates 3-D objects up to 33 cm high with a removable/replaceable spray guard hood and an airflow of 185 CFM

The only reason I'm selling it is because I need a longer booth to accommodate 1/350 ship hulls.

I'm asking $190, $10 of which I'll donate to Kiwi Modeller. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,
Terry

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Terry.

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #2

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1197
So tempting. This extracts from the bottom aye? I didn't realise the sides were cardboard. I would like a bigger booth eventually but Gordon Harris charge waaaayyyy too much for their Artograph booths considering their price on Amazon. Let me know what you get a bigger one for. Something for me in the future.

If anyone else is after a spray booth, jump on this, it looks like a great deal from Terry.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #3

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Grover,
Yes indeed, it extracts through the bottom, and is most effective as well. I've taken the precaution of taping sacrificial paper linings to the inside of the cardboard part of the booth to keep it clean. Finding spray booth nirvana has proven to be a long and arduous task, and some prices to have a booth made locally and in China have developed some scary numbers. Oddly, for such a popular hobby there is little in the way of choice for spray booths. It would be nice if a company such as Tamiya took up the challenge and made a more serious looking unit, but that looks most unlikely.

Cheers,
T

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #4

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 932
Have you looked at the nice little portable ones on Trademe, I got mine from there and it's been very good, but even better you can join multiple extractors together to give you whatever width you need and at just a bit over $120 each it's not a bad alternative if you are looking for something that bit bigger. You could put a Y connector on the outlet or even a crossover if you wanted to add 3 together.
Just a thought.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #5

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
  • Thank you received: 247
Hey Terry
I was the one who asked on TM about splittling up the sale as I have one of these in the garage, unfortunatley the previous owner used it for spray glue as well, so a long sticky and chemical filled day later its clean but the filters could do with replacing.

They are a brilliant unit, and as the owner of one of the cheap portable units as well i can say the arograph is far superior, if a little louder and a lot heavier the airflow is amazing as is the fact ou just roll out a bit more of the prefilter once it gets dirty and its as good as new.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #6

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 72
Sorry did I read that correctly? Its 380 x 510mm working surface?

If so I could be interested, depending on my finances in the next couple of weeks....

Last Edit: by Moeggo.

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #7

• gibbs
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 56
I had considered one of the portable ones of ebay which I imagine is probably similar to the ones available on Trademe the so far I've not pulled the trigger on one as the window is on the other side of the room from my bench so the pipe wouldn't be long enough

So this has been my solution coupled with having the window open for the vapours to eventually escape it's just a case of having to replace the filters every so often

In terms of an actual booth I just use a big box which also couples as storage the only downside is there isn't anyway for me to support the things bar holding them in my fingers so I've moved over to wearing gloves now that I've found a reasonably priced supplier to protect my hands and to avoid transfer of contaminants to the model from causing issues with the paint

Attachments:

My little corner of the internet
Last Edit: by gibbs.

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #8

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Moeggo wrote: Sorry did I read that correctly? Its 380 x 510mm working surface?

If so I could be interested, depending on my finances in the next couple of weeks....

Hi Dave,
Yes you read that size correctly. 510mm x 380mm. I'm happy to hold it for you until finances are in place. Not the first thing I've sold you btw.... do you remember a Tamiya Bismarck and PE set... :lol:
Cheers,
Terry

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #9

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Webby_NZ wrote: Hey Terry
I was the one who asked on TM about splittling up the sale as I have one of these in the garage, unfortunatley the previous owner used it for spray glue as well, so a long sticky and chemical filled day later its clean but the filters could do with replacing.

They are a brilliant unit, and as the owner of one of the cheap portable units as well i can say the arograph is far superior, if a little louder and a lot heavier the airflow is amazing as is the fact ou just roll out a bit more of the prefilter once it gets dirty and its as good as new.

I cannot imagine what your filters must have looked like will spray glue in them!! :sick: These booths are (were?) dotted all over the advertising agency landscape in Auckland, used for just that purpose spraying glue onto artwork to make client presentations, which I suspect are all done on computer nowadays? There is a company on Trademe selling mid filters (sold by the roll and would need to be cut to size ) and I'm sure the carbon filters can be sourced locally as well. I'll check my phone contacts regarding booths and see if I've got a phone number for carbon filters later on.

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #10

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hahaha Yes! Thats going back a few years!

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #11

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Terry.. Just sending you a PM now...

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 2 months ago #12

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 257

Terry wrote: These booths are (were?) dotted all over the advertising agency landscape in Auckland, used for just that purpose spraying glue onto artwork to make client presentations, which I suspect are all done on computer nowadays?

They sure were. I remember using the spray booth heaps from 1994 through to about 2004 to mount presentations to board, make mock ups etc. Never seen a spray booth at work since. Where I am now we just mount using double sided tape or whacking paper through a fancy roller machine which applies an adhesive. You just simple peel and stick.

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 1 week ago #13

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Folks,

Repeated requests by PM to Dave to see if he still wants this booth have had no reply. :unsure: So I'm putting the spray booth back on the open market. I'm dropping the price to $150 or a trade for a mint Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk16e. Site donation to KM still applies. :)

Cheers,
Terry

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 1 week ago #14

• Beavis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
Hey Terry, I'm very interested- have already sent you a private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 1 week ago #15

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Booth is sold to Beavis.
Thanks,
T

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 1 week ago #16

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1197
Woohoo, good score Beavis

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 1 week ago #17

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Terry I apologize completely!

I haven't received any PM notifications in my email, but yet there are two PM's sitting there from you! Its not something that jumps out to me when I have been online the last couple of weeks.

But glad to hear that you moved it and Beavis got a fantastic deal!

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 1 week ago #18

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Dave. You are right about the private message notification being quite low key, and I can understand how it can be missed. I'm pleased you're not offended that I threw it back onto the market. I didn't really want to pester you in the public domain by bumping this topic back up, and hence I went to PM.

Artograph Spray Booth for sale 4 years 1 week ago #19

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
No worries at all Terry! No hard feelings at all.

• Page:
Moderators: AndrewGary