Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reference Library

Reference Library 6 years 9 months ago #1

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 794
We're trying to build up a huge reference library, basically our hosts have given us unlimited disk space so it make sense to put it to good use.
What we want is to collect as many reference pictures and photos as possible so that we become the one stop shop for all your modelling reference material. You want to build the lastest kit from Dragon and want some pictures to use as reference or you might be building a diorama and want some photos of foliage or how does rust form on a corrugated roof, maybe pictures of mud and rust on a digger are you thing. This is what we want from you.
I'm currently laying the foundations of the Image Reference Library (IRL) so I'm adding categories and working out how to break this down so that it stays manageable. The library will have full search capabilites so when you upload a photos you need to say what's in the photo so that the search bots pick it up and return it to someone who is looking for that picture of an old wooden gate etc.
So keep an eye on the IRL and if you think of a way it could be structured better plz let me know. Once we have enough structure I'll let all you loonies loose so you can add photos, but all photos will have to remain moderated so keep them clean and add information. Also use your noggin when it comes to choosing the right category to put that photo of pine cones or the Knocked out Tiger.
Cheers
Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Re: Reference Library 6 years 9 months ago #2

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
  • Thank you received: 44
So is that the reference images link on the left ?

One suggestion under the categories like armour, aircraft etc is a breakdown into "historical photos", "videos", "walkarounds", "model photos" and "artwork"

Nothing worse when you're googling an image and the first two hundred are of models when you're looking for wartime photos. Ditto walkarounds are usually current day restored stuff and give the best "quick reference" for details when building.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

Re: Reference Library 6 years 9 months ago #3

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yeah at the moment I'm just thinking about photos, artwork and other stuff might go in a seperate area. I've bitten a big one here, I was making the Categories earlier and kept having to move them around.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Re: Reference Library 6 years 9 months ago #4

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
  • Thank you received: 44
Yeah it may be a case of just continually tweaking it when someone wants to add something that doesn't have a category.

Haha, maybe create a "nowhere to put it yet" category that gets sorted once a week.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
Last Edit: by Dean.

Re: Reference Library 6 years 9 months ago #5

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That's actually a good idea mate.

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Reference Library 1 year 2 months ago #6

• turtle65
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Roger
  • Thank you received: 79
Been awhile since this was instigated however being fairly new here I'm still foundering around :cheer: .
Anywho, was just wondering if anyone would be interested in having publications such as Windsock, various Modelling Magazines such as:
AFV Modeller
AIR Modeller
AirMagazine
M-Hobby Magazines
Military Illustrated Modeller
Military Illustrated Modeller Aircraft
Scale Aircraft Modelling
Scale Model Addict
Sci-fi & Fantasy Modeller
Sky Model
Steel Masters
SteelArt
Tamiya
added (eBooks).
That is as long as we aren't breaching any laws (don't want a Dotcom scenario befalling KM :ohmy: ).
For your ponderance :) .

"No, I didn't lose my mind. It got scared and ran away"

On the Bench:
Scratch - Steam Car
Scratch - Santa's sleigh
Scratch - EggCopter Ka-26
Scratch - EggPlane !
Last Edit: by turtle65. Reason: add listing

Reference Library 1 year 2 months ago #7

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1163
Sorry, unsure what yo're asking? Adding those to the website itself?

Reference Library 1 year 2 months ago #8

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I looked at hosting ebooks when we first started but ran afoul of copyright issues.
As long as it can be proved that there is no copyright left on material then I would be happy to host anything modelling/militaria related.

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Reference Library 1 year 2 months ago #9

• Woadism
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19

Gary wrote: I looked at hosting ebooks when we first started but ran afoul of copyright issues.
As long as it can be proved that there is no copyright left on material then I would be happy to host anything modelling/militaria related.

I have four old Profile Publications booklets that I'd be happy to scan and upload (the Catalina, the Kittyhawk, the Mustang and the Corsair) if it's simple to generate the format and it doesn't breach IP - they're from the 60s, would there still be copyright issues?

Reference Library 1 year 2 months ago #10

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Generally it's something like 25 years unless the author or his estate extend it. I had a running argument with a publishing company of the use of a colour cutaway drawing of a B-24 Liberator. It was a wartime publication but the particular publishing company said they owned the IP on it. So I contacted the artist's estate and they said nah it's all good, so I went back to the Publishing company and they crawled back under their stone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woadism

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Reference Library 1 year 2 months ago #11

• Woadism
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Gary wrote: Generally it's something like 25 years unless the author or his estate extend it. I had a running argument with a publishing company of the use of a colour cutaway drawing of a B-24 Liberator. It was a wartime publication but the particular publishing company said they owned the IP on it. So I contacted the artist's estate and they said nah it's all good, so I went back to the Publishing company and they crawled back under their stone.

Interesting! Good on the artist's estate, and you for following through.

In that case, what format would be best - a .pdf file at a particular resolution / filesize?

Reference Library 1 year 2 months ago #12

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
pdf would be good, file size as small as possible while retaining quality. What I might do is put it on something like google drive and share it out or put it up here but make it a member only thing whereby only a specific group of people have access.
I've just upped our monthly bandwidth to 100GB, I seem to be adding 5GB a month in new traffic which is great :)

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Reference Library 1 year 1 month ago #13

• turtle65
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Roger
Cheers for that G1. Had a suspicion that would be the response.
Next question: I have a few vehicle walk-arounds that folks may or may not be interested in :unsure: .
Here's the link:
Flickr - walk-arounds
I'll let you decide if anything is worthy of adding to KM :) , and work from there in regards to transferring info or whatever the process is :dry: .

On the Bench:
Scratch - Steam Car
Scratch - Santa's sleigh
Scratch - EggPlane !

Reference Library 1 year 1 month ago #14

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Definitely worthy!!!! How do you want to proceed?
I can give you access to upload or you I can steal them from your flickr account or you can email or post them to me?

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Reference Library 1 year 1 month ago #15

• turtle65
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Roger
Feel free to grab what you want from the Flickr.
Probably the easiest - darned if I know where half the original stuff has got to :oops: .

On the Bench:
Scratch - Steam Car
Scratch - Santa's sleigh
Scratch - EggPlane !

Reference Library 10 months 2 weeks ago #16

• Woadism
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Gary wrote: pdf would be good, file size as small as possible while retaining quality. What I might do is put it on something like google drive and share it out or put it up here but make it a member only thing whereby only a specific group of people have access.
I've just upped our monthly bandwidth to 100GB, I seem to be adding 5GB a month in new traffic which is great :)

Hi Gary - I've just scanned my first one (no. 47 - F4U1 Corsair) - it's not quite 8mb so compressed quite nicely - what now?

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary