is: April 1st, 2011 END DATE
is: In the distant future
1. Bring out the child in you n' bring forward the memories. Build an old vintage kit of any brand as long as it’s at least 20 years old for this build.
2. Entry should be of an Aircraft, Vehicle, AFV, Figure(s), Ship or Civilian Vehicle, Aircraft, Figure Etc. Any era any scale.
3. All scales is allowed, including assembled miniatures as long as they're old.
4. This is an ongoin' opportunity build so please feel free to jump in at any time durin' the build.
5. The only after market addons that is allowed is decals as they may be worse than bad in the kit (the kit decals wasn't that well defined back in the day but they may be damaged now after all these years). No PE allowed (except if they come with the kit or if you make it from scratch by etching it by yourself). Plastic Card is allowed as well use of foil n' such that you may find at home.
6. Reissues of old kits is allowed just in case it's impossible to get hold of a vintage kit. Please be certain that it really is an reissue as it will be refused as an entrant if it isn't. If you’re uncertain all you’ve to do is to ask n’ I’ll give it a go or not.
7. Scratchbuilding is allowed, see #5.
8. Please try to build the kit OOtB in order to stay true to the spirit of these old kits.
9. Don’t be afraid of goin’ head to head with a crappy kit. Make the best of it n’ take it as a challenge to build a kit that isn’t up to today’s standard or even yesterday’s standard.
10. Multiple entries allowed.
11. Resurecting old dormant kits that you once did put away due to lack of interest or they bein' too difficult for you at the time is allowed. It depends though on how far along the old build is. If so, make a suggestion presentin' your "wreck" in this thread n' we'll decide if it's to far gone or if it's welcome in the build.
12. Present your start photos in this thread even if you choose to make a build thread of your own.
13. The purpose of this build is to relax once in a while n' return to our build roots in order to build kits from our past but with the difference in that we're both older n' more skillfull now compared to when we started out in our youth.
14. For each year the range of kits suitable for this build will get wider n' the kits will (in most cases) become better but so will the modern kits as well so that will mean that what we today think of as a state of the art kit will be just an kit among others in 20 years from now. The possibillitys is endless. You can even start collect kits today in order to build 'em as a "crappy" kit in the distant future...
Nice one Urban, can we post our own rules here plz mate we can use a modified version of the general rules from the Zone but we aren't "officially" affiliated with the Zone, just a bunch of members that exist on both sites. Besides I get a 409 forbidden when I click on that link.
It's also good to have seperation between the two sites so that we can have a bit of "them and us" competiveness going one
I like the concept of this build, it puts everyone on a level playing field and not who has the most money for the best kit, so come on folks show us your true modelling skills.
I'm going to probably enter my Revell 1/32 Lysander or an old MPC Star Wars kit (I have a bunch of different ones).
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Rule linky removed! I also did get a 409 from here. It's your show here mate so you're free to make your own general build rules for builds here at KM.
Here's the general rules over at the Zone as a base for your adaption mate:
Here is what We have come up with as "Official Build Rules" Please read and take note of them.
1. A one (1) week grace period on ALL builds. We are elastic....for a good enough reason.
2. A MINIMUM of 5 pics during construction. One of the box and parts before you start the kit, and then others of actual construction...We would LOVE to see as many pics as possible. On your final JUDGING pics (3 of them) Take your BEST shots...please nothing blurry or obscure, you are SHOWING OFF your work here so keep 'em crystal clear. If we get pics we think are questionable, we will send them back and you will take replacements.
3. The Build WINNER will get the choose the subject of the NEXT build. (Unless specified by Model area Moderator.)
4. Model Staff may join builds at this time. All 'Zone staff are more than welcome to join in.
5. Any TIES will be decided by a vote of Model Area Mods, unless Said Mod is involved in that TIE, We will then ask JIM to step in and Vote.
6. Builds will be conducted in a fashion of FRIENDLY COMPETITION. Please, no trash talking, insults, or down talking, or anything of that ilk towards other members entries.....or other members for that matter.
7. This is one rule We shouldn't even have to consider, but some of us have been to sites where Model members use other peoples' pics of their work, and claim them as their own for builds. If you are caught doing this, or any other form of cheating on the builds......goodbye....
8. Most Important, HAVE FUN!! And if you learn something in the process....all the better!
The 190 is brilliant, and the old 5b is looking great too. I had and loved that kit. It was way way way better than the old Johnny J Mk IX they did. I've got to start my build. I think I was going to do the BMW and side car, but having found the old Tamiya 37mm I think I'll do that as well.
Would the old Monogram 1/48 Mig-29 fit the bill for this build? I believe it has a number of issues but have not opened the box yet to look for myself
I mainly build things that fly; mostly post-war jet fighters. My favourites are Phantoms and Eagles.
On the bench:
- Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E conversion to Marines F-8K - no AM stuff other than Microscale decals
- Revell 1/32 F-4E with True Detail seats
I've an old kit of a Carro Armato sitting on the bench that's been collecting dust for many months now...started it for another build at the Zone; and if I read that thread right, it would be OK to enter it here, too? That build may have ended, but looks like this one is still active, so maybe I can actually finish the darned thing. I only got as far as the roadwheels.
Here's my FROG Vultee Vengeance, it was parked on the workbench for a while but since IPMS Auckland are doing a Frog's for February night I thought I'd get going on it again. Rescribed the panel lines.... debated what colour to paint the underside and figured stores used whatever blue they could find on the atoll... just short of a few decals for the squadron codes and rego bomb mission tally marks.... so if anyone can help I can stick em on and get it all dulled down and weathered.
Thanks for your response. One of my mates at IPMS has kindly printed me some decals, and I'm looking forward to checking my letter box tonite. I'll post some pics if that works out with the vengenace finished.