Every model deserves a second chance group build!?

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Terry
  • Terry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #1 by Terry
With the recent Bomber command GB drawing to a close it seems to me that a lot of modellers (and this applies to sites other than just KM) fail to finish on GB finish dates, myself included. I bought a kit to participate in the Bomber GB, but never even started it, or even posted pictures of the kit! Busy working on something else basically, and next thing you know a year's gone by!

So it made me wonder how many group build projects lanquish forever on the shelf of the unaccomplished? It also occurred to me that this would make an interesting group build topic in itself: A group build where you can only build something that was previously documented in a group build as started, but never officially finished!

Keen to read people's thoughts on this mad idea.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Terry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #2 by Moeggo
Thats a great idea!

I have always been fan of Shelf of Doooooom GB too

More
3 years 1 month ago - 2 years 6 months ago #3 by Powder
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Powder.

More
3 years 1 month ago #4 by Xtr3meNZer
Yeah, good idea :) I have one that would suit this, so might be in - Though the one I am thinking is a Panzer IV that I was going to do for the Dio GB in here - Of which I have completed the first half, the T-34 - but I just don't think I will be finishing the Panzer - It's not high on my priority list, and I have a few to build in the mean time lol.

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago #5 by Terry

Powder wrote:

Terry wrote: A group build where you can only build something that was previously documented in a group build as started, but never officially finished!

I got nothing. :(

If you don't finish that Heinkel you're good to go mate! :P

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 1 month ago #6 by Andrew
Ha, wheres my list :oops:

D-Day, Bomber Command 80th, NASCAR, Early Jets, Battle of Britain, F-14 Tomcat and probably a few others :blush: :whistle: :pinch: :lol:

I'll most likely carry on with the Wellington from the Bomber Command 80th

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
3 years 1 month ago #7 by Xtr3meNZer

Andrew wrote: , F-14 Tomcat

OOoooh yeah, I forgot I entered that one, but never got around to even starting it... that could work

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #8 by Moeggo
Would it include a kit that you stated that you would build but didn't even start?
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Moeggo.

More
3 years 1 month ago #9 by yak

Powder wrote:

Terry wrote: A group build where you can only build something that was previously documented in a group build as started, but never officially finished!

I got nothing. :(

Overachiever :lol: :lol: :lol: i could send you one of mine to finish for me if you like :P

Sounds good Terry, I've got a few i could take a second go at. But i fear the out come would more than likely be the same :(

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Custom Nissan D21 Navara
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car

More
3 years 1 month ago - 2 years 6 months ago #10 by Powder
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Powder.

More
3 years 1 month ago #11 by Glenn
Sounds like a good idea to me:cheer:

More
3 years 1 month ago #12 by Tiger
I could be in on this one ?

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago #13 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Every model deserves a second chance group build!?
The unfinished GB GB. I have soooo many contenders for this - why not?!

Then we could have an unfinished GB GB GB, for all those unfinished GB builds that don't get finished again... :)

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago #14 by Terry
Good to see some enthusiasm for this idea. I think Craig might be onto a future GB idea as well :lol:

Given the number of GB's currently going on, I don't see any point in starting this GB idea any time soon. I'd much prefer to give some of the current GB's some air to breath in, so people that have committed to them are not stretched so thin with time, nothing ever gets finished. I like the idea of the group builds but something I have learned is it's better to do something simple (a slammer as car modellers would say) than pull out a crazupid kit and starting applying aftermarket to it. I also think we're mostly all eternally optimistic here on KM and engage with the idea of new group builds in the same way we engage with buying models... it's just hard to say no! :P :whistle:

As you were gentlepeople.

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #15 by Bishop
I could enter of a number of started builds, but have not entered a group build as I know I wouldn't have the time to finish it anyway so still can't enter the group build because I don't have a .. oh I said that. Watch watching...

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 4 weeks ago #16 by Terry
Fair point Bishop. I think a better idea is to make a GB where models have been started but not finished the basic premise, whether in a previous GB or not. This is more inclusive, and hopefully would result in greater participation? So a "Shelf of Doom GB" as Moeggo put it. I have a few projects that have been shelved for many years. If a GB such as this encouraged people to pick up old projects and work on them all the better, but my only concern is overcoming the inertia that caused any particular project to stop. Competing against other new shiny feel good factor GB's is also a thought that crosses my mind.... new and shiny versus old and stalled! What's not to like about new and shiny?!

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #17 by Bishop
I like this, I'd be able to put in at least 20 entries :whistle:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary