Potential Group Build - 50th Anniversary of the Six-Day War

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Viperbuilder
  • Viperbuilder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #1 by Viperbuilder
I was just thinking...it is the 50th anniversary of the Arab-Israeli Six-Day War next year. (5-10 June 1967)

This would make a potentially interesting Group Build given the variety and popularity of the subject matter involved. Obviously it would not be practicable to run the group build over six days otherwise we would end up with no builds. :(

What I would like to propose is that if there is sufficient interest in participation then we run the build period from 1 January 2017 through to the the Armistice Show in Cambridge November 2017. Some of us busy people like a bit more time to build to ensure models are built for the success of the GB. There would be prizes for the winning entries at the Armistice Show and for the model(s) voted most popular in the online build of course. ;)

Here is an indicative look at the participating weaponary:

Arab Forces – Egypt, Syria, Iraq and Jordan
AFVs
Egypt, Syria and Iraq used T-34/85, T-54, T-55, PT-76, and SU-100/152 World War II-vintage self-propelled guns. Jordan used M-47, M-48, and M-48A1 Patton tanks. Panzer IV (used by Syria)
APCs/IFVs
BTR-40, BTR-152, BTR-50, BTR-60 APCs
Artillery
M1937 Howitzer, BM-21, D-30 (2A18) Howitzer, M1954 field gun, M-52 105mm self-propelled howitzer (used by Jordan)
Aircraft
MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-17, Su-7B, Tu-16, Il-28, Il-18, Il-14, An-12, Hawker Hunter used by Jordan and Iraq
Helicopters
Mi-6, Mi-4
AAW
SA-2 Guideline, ZSU-57-2 mobile anti-aircraft cannon
Infantry weapons
Port Said submachinegun, AK-47, RPK, RPD, DShK HMG, B-10 and B-11 recoilless rifles

IDF
AFVs
M50 and M51 Shermans, M48A3 Patton, Centurion, AMX-13. The Centurion was upgraded with the British 105 mm L7 gun prior to the war. The Sherman also underwent extensive modifications including a larger 105mm medium velocity, French gun, redesigned turret, wider tracks, more armour, and upgraded engine and suspension.
APCs/IFVs
M2, / M3 Half-track, Panhard AML
Artillery
M50 self-propelled howitzer and Makmat 160 mm self-propelled mortar, Obusier de 155 mm Modèle 50, AMX 105mm Self-Propelled Howitzer
Aircraft
Dassault Mirage III, Dassault Super Mystère, Sud Aviation Vautour, Mystere IV, Dassault Ouragan, Fouga Magister trainer outfitted for attack missions, Nord 2501IS military cargo plane
Helicopters
Super Frelon, Sikorsky S-58
AAW
MIM-23 Hawk, Bofors 40 mm
Infantry weapons
Uzi, FN FAL, FN MAG, AK-47, M2 Browning, Cobra, Nord SS.10, RL-83 Blindicide anti-tank infantry weapon, Jeep-mounted 106mm recoilless rifle

If you would be interested in participating then post away below.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #2 by Nosferatu
Certainly plenty of options! Would be interesting!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #3 by grover
Yup, would be a great group build I think.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #4 by Xtr3meNZer
I'll potentially say yes at this stage... but I wont commit to anything until much later in the year :)

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #5 by Powder
Yep, I'm sure I could sort something out for this.

Just doing some googling and I see Bison Decals do 1/72 markings for an Israeli M7 Priest from the 6 Day War - or would you prefer us to choose from your list (which doesn't include the Priest)?
I already have the old Matchbox/Revell 1/76 kit in my stash.

Also my googling turned up Syrian Jagdpanzers, Stugs & Hummels. That may interest a few more modellers :)
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Powder.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #6 by Craig Sargent
Something like that I'd get behind it with multiple builds. And it's one GB I know I'd complete something too.

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #7 by CyNaKyL
I'd be interested, but it would depend on what I could buy for it. So a potential yes at this stage...

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Viperbuilder
  • Viperbuilder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #8 by Viperbuilder

Powder wrote: Yep, I'm sure I could sort something out for this.

Just doing some googling and I see Bison Decals do 1/72 markings for an Israeli M7 Priest from the 6 Day War - or would you prefer us to choose from your list (which doesn't include the Priest)?
I already have the old Matchbox/Revell 1/76 kit in my stash.

Also my googling turned up Syrian Jagdpanzers, Stugs & Hummels. That may interest a few more modellers :)

The list of participating weaponry is indicative only, not closed, to give people an idea of the main types used. There are no doubt other types used by the countries involved so if it was used in the six-day war then it should be included. I think what we might have to do is fill in gaps relating to types used. Maybe if a type is something near obsolete like the German types then if there is some supporting evidence of their use then that would be great.

Likewise, if we can pin point the better kits and decals available for the participating weapons platforms we could add all these to one of the posts so interested modellers can refer to this.

Above all we would want to keep this a modeller-friendly GB without too many rules. I'm relaxed on part-started kits being entered so long as a build hasn't progressed too far into assembly that it's going to upset other participants. If it helps a modeller get a model out of his/her procrastination pile, a.k.a. shelf of doom, then I'm all for it.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Viperbuilder. Reason: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Powder

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #9 by Flying_Kiwi
down for that!!! migs mirages yes!!!!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary